• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I have been riding for over 50 years.I've had Hondas,Yamahas, Kawasakis,an Ossa,a BMW,a Ducati,and now my ride is a 1998 Concours.

dtech7332983

I tried to start my 1998 Concours tod.It had been running great.This morning however it just cranked a couple of times,I heard a "click"from under the seat.The dash lights went out and the bike won't crank at all.Sometimes the lights come on when I try to start it but immediately go out.The fuses are good.Would that ignition box be the problem and is there a way to check it.Any help would be appreciated.

Have you checked battery voltage? Based on your comment about the dash lights going out when trying to start this would make me think the battery is dead...

+1 - Check battery first. Igniter box is rarely an issue on these.

That click may be your JBox.

Remove the left side cover and give the JBox a bump with the handle of a screwdriver to see if that changes things.

If so, its time to get it reworked by Larry Buck or get another one. (Option A is best and most economical).

Check all your battery connections for looseness/corrosion.

Ride safe, Ted
+1 on that. Should always be step #1. My old trick is to hold the button for a second or two and quickly touch the terminals. A loose terminal will often get hot. Warning... Sometimes really hot!

That being said, I've seen more than a few batteries die just like that.