• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I hit a deer and lived!

EchoTango2020

I am looking for suggestions. Last weekend I came around a corner on my 2010 C14 ABS into a herd of about 10 deer! I only hit one, but smacked her broadside at 50 MPH. I managed to stay upright, but deer was DOA. My entire fairing and headlight assembly are wrecked. No mechanical damage or other problems. I LOVE this machine but the dealer quoted me $7500 to fix, which is more than the value, even with relatively low miles (27K). Not happening. One COA could be to look for a parts bike and do the work myself. Is that realistic? If so, does it have to be the exact year to match color or can I paint plastics? If so, what years would fit? Another course could be to sell this one as is for parts or perhaps conversion to nakedness. Do you think anyone would bite on that? What would be a fair price? Any other ideas for a decent ending to this tale of woe? Sadly, Ed

You replace it for a lot less. 2010 should be around 4000. Maybe less with high milage. You probably have damage to the fairing stays, the headnigh mount and other internal pieces.

You might see about buying parts that are chipped or scratched instead of new. Could save a ton of money that way. If the flaws bother you, hit it with some plastidip and create a new paint scheme. There was someone on here I think that went through a few color schemes on their C14 with plastidip. I would think years 2010 on up would work as the revision to the fairing was in 10. If it were me, I'd hang on to it and post a wtb ad asking for parts. Scratched or not. Many of us will replace parts that are only scratched but otherwise perfectly good. It is quite satisfying to make some lemonade out of a big fat lemon. Best of luck with the project!

I would definitely buy a low mile used and newer model....I have seen some screaming deals here in classifieds, and then part out your wrecked bike. So much less hassle and you still have an upgrade in the end. JMO.

Unless you just like turning wrenches, I'm with Dirtwiz... Glad YOU are okay... been there did, that...

Bad day for the deer and your Connie, but very happy you're OK.

I'm on the buy a replacement and part out the wrecked bike. I know I would be brokenhearted if it was my Connie, but I would rather see her die on the road than in a salvage yard - she can be an organ donor!

Best of luck,
Jon

Bad day for the deer and your Connie, but very happy you're OK.

I'm on the buy a replacement and part out the wrecked bike. I know I would be brokenhearted if it was my Connie, but I would rather see her die on the road than in a salvage yard - she can be an organ donor!

Best of luck,
Jon
Thanks Jon. I appreciate the advice. I am actively shopping now. Ed

What a moment of impact that must have been! :eek: You must have moved that deer considerably to not get wrapped up in the handlebars. The deer must not have been moving perpendicular to your direction of travel.

I hit a small deer in 1991 on a V65 Sabre at about 25 mph near Clearlake California. It was night time and I scrubbed off some speed from about 65 mph before impact. Because I was under hard braking and the deer was running to my left the bike went up and over and landed perpendicular to the road and landed upside down, then bounced over onto the wheels, then fell on my right foot. That impact blew the laces out of that boot. I estimated I flew about 20 to 25 ft before hitting the pavement head first. The left side of the Sabre never touched anything. The gauges, levers, grab bar and handlebars were all badly damaged. The only light was my headlight and I saw the deer amble away with a kink in his spine right in front of the hind quarters where I hit him.

I was pretty roughed up... the helmet definatly saved me from serious injury or death... when I heard it contact the pavement the thought "thank God" came to mind immiediatly. My knees looked like bloody hamburger and the neck trauma lasted for months. Anyway, I picked the bike up and got it underway in 3rd gear for the last few miles to get home. I slept until I woke up and then went to the ER to get the knees scrubbed out... I was too tired that night to go to the ER and wait for hours late at night to get medical attention.

I would say you were very fortunate to survive a 50 mph impact... glad you made it. As far as your Connie goes... the others here covered your best choices... buy another one and part that one out. The parting out might be a slow process but you will have confidence with your new Connie that everything is good structurally speaking.

My life lesson... when enjoying the familiar twisties of a regular commute at night in critter territory... slow down... a couple 10ths of a second can make a big difference.

God Damn deer, they are the worst! Brainless maggots. Anything that will stand on the side of the road and watch you coming and then jump into you, doesn't have any sense or a particle of brain matter.
I'd buy a explosive proximity device if anyone could make one. Something that senses a deer right next to me or in front of me and send out a explosive charge to vaporize it, that's what I want!
I live / ride in a very rural setting, deer are my #1 concern to my safety.
To the original OP, I agree with most of the postings here, Its time for a new bike, they are pretty cheap, great deals pop up on the market place all the time.
Glad you OK
Nick
2014 C-14

It may just be a waste of money, but for the $10 it cost me I threw a pair of deer whistles on several of my vehicles over the years.

On one hand I have zero evidence they work, on the other, the only deer I've ever seen (from any vehicle I've used them on) have been running away from the road.

I saw a guy who had one of those deer whistles on a GoldWing, I asked him if it worked He said he did t think so and he was going to take it off of his bike because he was tired of cleaning deer hair out of it 😂😂😂

God Damn deer, they are the worst! Brainless maggots. Anything that will stand on the side of the road and watch you coming and then jump into you, doesn't have any sense or a particle of brain matter.
I'd buy a explosive proximity device if anyone could make one. Something that senses a deer right next to me or in front of me and send out a explosive charge to vaporize it, that's what I want!
I live / ride in a very rural setting, deer are my #1 concern to my safety.
To the original OP, I agree with most of the postings here, Its time for a new bike, they are pretty cheap, great deals pop up on the market place all the time.
Glad you OK
Nick
2014 C-14
Please don't use my Lord's name in vain!

It may just be a waste of money, but for the $10 it cost me I threw a pair of deer whistles on several of my vehicles over the years.

On one hand I have zero evidence they work, on the other, the only deer I've ever seen (from any vehicle I've used them on) have been running away from the road.

That deer wreck I had in 91 was about a week after I put 2 of those whistles on. As I recall deer would look at me as I approached but wouldn't move.... with one exception.

That deer wreck I had in 91 was about a week after I put 2 of those whistles on. As I recall deer would look at me as I approached but wouldn't move.... with one exception.
Ouch. Then in my case it must be just pure BS luck.

+1 with FTB350, Cannot prove my deer whistle works, other than I see them running away from me rather than across my line of travel. Sorry about your bike EchoTango, very glad you were not hurt. I had a mishap on my 2013 C14 when I smacked the back of a Suburban and it just exploded all the plastic on the front of the bike. Ended up totaling it out, and getting a 2012 in Red and having it painted. In my case, I was concerned about potential front end, fork or other not visible damage.

Good Luck!

Gilvysan, aka - Fat Ninja

What a moment of impact that must have been! :eek: You must have moved that deer considerably to not get wrapped up in the handlebars. The deer must not have been moving perpendicular to your direction of travel.

I hit a small deer in 1991 on a V65 Sabre at about 25 mph near Clearlake California. It was night time and I scrubbed off some speed from about 65 mph before impact. Because I was under hard braking and the deer was running to my left the bike went up and over and landed perpendicular to the road and landed upside down, then bounced over onto the wheels, then fell on my right foot. That impact blew the laces out of that boot. I estimated I flew about 20 to 25 ft before hitting the pavement head first. The left side of the Sabre never touched anything. The gauges, levers, grab bar and handlebars were all badly damaged. The only light was my headlight and I saw the deer amble away with a kink in his spine right in front of the hind quarters where I hit him.

I was pretty roughed up... the helmet definatly saved me from serious injury or death... when I heard it contact the pavement the thought "thank God" came to mind immiediatly. My knees looked like bloody hamburger and the neck trauma lasted for months. Anyway, I picked the bike up and got it underway in 3rd gear for the last few miles to get home. I slept until I woke up and then went to the ER to get the knees scrubbed out... I was too tired that night to go to the ER and wait for hours late at night to get medical attention.

I would say you were very fortunate to survive a 50 mph impact... glad you made it. As far as your Connie goes... the others here covered your best choices... buy another one and part that one out. The parting out might be a slow process but you will have confidence with your new Connie that everything is good structurally speaking.

My life lesson... when enjoying the familiar twisties of a regular commute at night in critter territory... slow down... a couple 10ths of a second can make a big difference.
Wow! Your story makes me even more grateful. Glad you are well and still riding. The details are not crystal clear to me because there were deer everywhere, but I am pretty sure I hit it square in the head with the front of the bike. It then bounced off the front left fairing but I think had lost enough momentum by then to allow me not to get knocked over. Also, the animal was not yet fully grown - guessing maybe 100 lbs? - so that helped. Thanks for the advice. Ed

+1 with FTB350, Cannot prove my deer whistle works, other than I see them running away from me rather than across my line of travel. Sorry about your bike EchoTango, very glad you were not hurt. I had a mishap on my 2013 C14 when I smacked the back of a Suburban and it just exploded all the plastic on the front of the bike. Ended up totaling it out, and getting a 2012 in Red and having it painted. In my case, I was concerned about potential front end, fork or other not visible damage.

Good Luck!

Gilvysan, aka - Fat Ninja
Thanks for the advice, sorry you had the wreck. Ed

buzzard incident recently windshield faring one mirror windshield motor bracket (had to buy the whole bracket)
had full coverage and deductible was down to 0 cost me nothing and insurance (progressive) did a good job handling everything.
dont mind sharing when they do it right also.

2010 C14 2700 on parts and labor.

I am looking for suggestions. Last weekend I came around a corner on my 2010 C14 ABS into a herd of about 10 deer! I only hit one, but smacked her broadside at 50 MPH. I managed to stay upright, but deer was DOA. My entire fairing and headlight assembly are wrecked. No mechanical damage or other problems. I LOVE this machine but the dealer quoted me $7500 to fix, which is more than the value, even with relatively low miles (27K). Not happening. One COA could be to look for a parts bike and do the work myself. Is that realistic? If so, does it have to be the exact year to match color or can I paint plastics? If so, what years would fit? Another course could be to sell this one as is for parts or perhaps conversion to nakedness. Do you think anyone would bite on that? What would be a fair price? Any other ideas for a decent ending to this tale of woe? Sadly, Ed
I also hit a deer in a corner at dusk doing 40 mph. The insurance company sait 2800 in damage. Still sourcing a fairing due to covid is become impossible. but have other parts replaced at least im still riding.

Attachments

• 20200407_204832.jpg
    20200407_204832.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 121
I would definitely buy the 2012 that's listed here for $5200 with 8K...that is a steal and then part your 2010 out to recover some cost.

Update:
After rejecting a dealer quote for $7500, I spent the winter trolling this forum for advice and ebay, etc. for parts, learned to repair plastic and did the work myself. Bottom line is that I am ready to roll once again! Total cost in parts: $995 Total cost labor: 0. It is certainly not showroom quality but it is pleasing to me - which is good enough for a bike that I intend to always be mine. Thanks for the help! Ed

Update:
After rejecting a dealer quote for $7500, I spent the winter trolling this forum for advice and ebay, etc. for parts, learned to repair plastic and did the work myself. Bottom line is that I am ready to roll once again! Total cost in parts: $995 Total cost labor: 0. It is certainly not showroom quality but it is pleasing to me - which is good enough for a bike that I intend to always be mine. Thanks for the help! Ed
Glad you got it on the road again! There is good money to be saved by doing what you did! If one has the time, a bit of knowledge and some tech help, a lot can be accomplished. BTDT. It is very satisfying to look at the results! Enjoy the ride!

Great advice. I loved that Clear Lake area. Lived at Beale AFB years ago. Miss Calif. I hope readers take notice of your write up. I guess I'm getting more senior every year, now 69, and go slower and slower at night. And unless one really enjoys wrenching on a bike I say get another bike and sell the damaged one. Always someone out there that will want it, just patience.

Phil 2013 50k now on my C14.

Deer are the reason I quit riding when I lived in NY, one came through my buddy's windshield another took out the front of another's car, very big deer up north, my biggest fear something that you can't control it happens so quick.

Great advice. I loved that Clear Lake area. Lived at Beale AFB years ago. Miss Calif. I hope readers take notice of your write up. I guess I'm getting more senior every year, now 69, and go slower and slower at night. And unless one really enjoys wrenching on a bike I say get another bike and sell the damaged one. Always someone out there that will want it, just patience.

Phil 2013 50k now on my C14.
Thank you for those kind words Phil.
Yes... Clear Lake and the surrounding area are great twisty riding fun as long as the "forest rats" don't come out and get in the way.

That was 30 years ago... last Friday I really messed up... My Hayabusa got away from me in 1st gear and I wheeled it all the way over. I got some painful road rash and it appears the bike is totaled... I haven't really looked at it yet because I stashed it at a friends house while I am preparing to move. Anyway... its time to slow down a little myself.
How did it happen? I usually ride my 1400 Concours since buying it about a year ago. Since the Busa had been sitting for a month or more at a time I decided to take it out for a good heat cycle to keep everything limber. We must have been under a high pressure weather system because I was noticing how strong it was running and had run it hard through a few gears several times before the crash. Anyway... I decided to do one more little power wheelie a few blocks from home and when I hit the throttle it jumped up so fast I didn't catch it in time. This same event almost happened about 5 years ago when I almost went over from a roll when hitting the throttle... lost a fork seal on the landing... what a difference good altitude density makes... well... this time it got me.
Well... if its totaled the wife will scream bloody murder if I try to buy another one. It was my second Gen 1 Busa and I had put about 45,000 miles on it.

If the motor is ok maybe I should look for small sand car to put that motor in. Other than that... if its bent and broken beyond what I can fix then that is probably the end on my sport bike riding days. I must say I really like riding my Concours 2010 model... lots of add ons from a previous owner... so... I am blessed to have such a fun and capable motorcycle to ride... and... I am lucky I didn't break and hurt and joints on my old body... I will be 68 next month... been riding for 50 years... I still love it!

I had my first motorcycle wreck at Clearlake when i was a young un, no deer though just an idiot in a pickup trying to pass me and a friend on a corner and met oncoming traffic and pushed me off the road.