• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I think I'm in Deep Do-Do

IBAJIM

I bought a used 2008 Concours two years ago and only got one FOB with it. So, I bet you know where this discussion is going....

Took a ride today and put my FOB in the large pocket in my Slider Cargo pants, for "safe keeping". Unknow to me, the side of the pocket had an opening due to some threads that came loose.

Had a nice ride, but when I got home, I discovered the FOB was missing. Interestingly, I could start & stop the bike about 4 times before the security system prevented the bike from starting. I never did get a "Missing FOB" message.

I decided to get in the car and slowly drive the route I took on my ride hoping I would find it on the side of the road and I did about 10 miles from my home ! It was in four pieces - the two plastic case halves, the silicon rubber that the circuit board fit in and the circuit board. I brought it all home, and reassembled the parts along with a new battery. The circuit board looked fine. I was pretty hopeful the bike would start now. But no way - still no start. I also tried removing the key and placing the key slot over the "nub" inn front of the ignition switch, but still no cigar.

I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and reconnecting it, but still no start.

Now I'm wondering if I'm missing an RFID chip. There is a small rectangular slot inside on one half of the case on the key end. There is nothing in the slot.

Could someone pop open their FOB and tell me if there is something in that slot, like a RFID chip ?

Either way, it looks like I'm screwed. Any suggestions ? I know, I should have bought a second FOB after I bought the bike.

Sounds like it's missing. Sorry to hear this.
It might be worth looking for if it was not lost by the original owner.

Next question : So, I just checked the parts list at Partzilla and it says a key FOB for a 2008 and 2009 Kawasaki isn't available. But a key FOB for a 2010 is. Will a 2010 key FOB "register" on a 2008 ?

Before ordering anything, I would have an electronics tech take a look at your current FOB.
Someone who is experienced with PCB repair and has tools to work on SMD parts.
Make sure it can't be repaired.

Theres plenty of threads about the fob here on the forum. Some even mention that the active fob regardless of the rfid chip/battery is suppose to release the locking mechanism by holding the fob at the nub, Just like u would with the passive fob. Do a search....
In yhe meantime order a passive fob.... no programing required, but u will have to do the nub rub every time until u decide what your gonna do about the active one..

Theres plenty of threads about the fob here on the forum. Some even mention that the active fob regardless of the rfid chip/battery is suppose to release the locking mechanism by holding the fob at the nub, Just like u would with the passive fob. Do a search....
In yhe meantime order a passive fob.... no programing required, but u will have to do the nub rub every time until u decide what your gonna do about the active one..
sorry, but if I understand this post, it's wrong.
In order to use a new passive fob, you first must be able to turn the bike on. If you can't turn it on, you're screwed. IF you can turn it on the passive fob must be "keyed" to the ECU with a KDS system. No KDS system, and the passive fob is worthless.
I did a video about this on you tube.
Steve

If I read his post correctly, he lost the RFID chip when the FOB broke apart.
His only hope now is to get the FOB working.
If it's repairable, then he can order new FOBs.
Otherwise, the alternative is going to be very expensive.

Ok...looking back thru several fob posts, i can see where i missed the passive fob programing... glad ur still around steve to keep the correct knowledge flowing...thanks for the correction i hope it helps him...

I tried that already - like looking for a needle in a haystack ...... It would have been a miracle if I found it. I tried, but no miracle.

Probably a long shot, but unlike later models the 2008’s originally came with 2 FOBs. You might try tracking down the previous owner to see if they still have or can locate the spare FOB.

My 2011 came with 1 FOB and 1 passive FOB. I purchased an extra passive FOB (had it programmed to the bike) and placed the spare passive FOB in the safe.

Probably a long shot, but unlike later models the 2008’s originally came with 2 FOBs. You might try tracking down the previous owner to see if they still have or can locate the spare FOB.

My 2011 came with 1 FOB and 1 passive FOB. I purchased an extra passive FOB (had it programmed to the bike) and placed the spare passive FOB in the safe.
I tried that. I contacted the previous owner as I had his info from a box of parts that came with the bike from the dealer. He said he had no idea it came with a second fob....after that I always had a premonition I might walk out there one day and find the bike missing so I kept his address handy .....just in case I had to go hunting.

Sounds like you have tried everything. Next is to replace the ECU. Try ebay.

There is similar thread currently active in which a Forum Subscriber (thanks Freddy) suggested this company may be able to help with lost FOBs: https://www.carmousa.com/. I'd be surprised if they can do anything if you don't have at least one working FOB, but might be worth a call on Monday.

I contacted that company and their reply didn't give me much hope they could do the job. I'm working on an alternative solution. I'll post again, hopefully soon.

That's very surprising as they have done it previously as shown on the zggtr.org forum which is currently dead. The same procedure is used by a locksmith here in Australia: https://www.ostanlock.com.au/motorcycle-locksmith/

They need the ign lock assembly as shown in the thread below. I don't know how they do what they do but they do it.

[There is similar thread currently active in which a Forum Subscriber (thanks Freddy) suggested..... I'll be kicked off here in Feb due to the new forum rules. A pity really as I reckon I've given more than I've taken over the years on this forum and it's earlier incarnations.]

Last edited:
My 2008 is running and back on the road again - finally.

Here is the complete story :

Believe it or not, there is a guy at a Kawasaki dealer in Warsaw, Poland who can supply new FOBs and re-program the ECU's if you send him the three ECU's ( KIPASS, Engine ECU, and the "ECU" that is part of the ignition switch assembly ). I found his listing on EBay.

My first thought was " What kind of idiot would ship the 3 ECU's to this guy in Warsaw ?"

He had his cell phone number listed, so I called him. He said it does work for people all over Europe and also Africa. Once I found the shipping address was to a dealer in Warsaw, I figured he was legit.

He said his preferred shipper was DHL ( 100% reliable he said ) and the cost to the US was $55. Well, my cost to ship to Warsaw ( Warszawa ) by DHL would be over $200 , I found out !! With a commercial account, the cost would be much lower, but not for a private party. A friend of mine has a daughter that was living in Europe for several years and he told me the cheapest way to ship overseas is USPS. So I sent the 3 ECU's on October 22 to Warsaw for $106. Then I waited ........ and waited ........ For some unknown reason, after the package reached Warsaw, it was held in customs and then returned to me after New Year. I had no idea why and still don't - tracking didn't help much. When I received the package a few weeks ago, it was obvious it wasn't even opened by customs. There was a sticker on it in Polish that translated " Did not accept ". I though at that time, maybe the dealer was closed Christmas week, but the guy I was sending it to at the dealer said someone was there all week ( ??? ).

He said for US and Mexico customers, after my package didn't arrive to him in a few weeks, he started having US and Mexico customers ship to his friend in the UK and then his friend forwards the packages to him. He said he has done 3 jobs since then w/o any shipping issues by doing that.

Anyway, once I got the ECU's back, I contacted Carmo Electronics and had them supply me 2 keys containing a RFID chip - they can't supply a FOB even tho they show that a FOB is available at their website. So I don't have a FOB, only the "immobilizer" key. Interestingly, I only needed to send Carmo ( Chico, California ) the ECU that is part of the ignition switch. They guy at Carmo said they would replace the part in the ECU that was programmed for the code in the new immobilizer keys. That cost me $400 plus shipping to Chico ( a UPS Store there ). So, it cost me about $546 ( $106 + $40 + $400 ) to get the bike running again. I think this is far less than a new ECU, FOB and labor would have been at the dealer. Carmo claims a 3 day turn around at their website, but It took several weeks to get the ECU back from Carmo. I suspect it may have been shipped to the Netherland to have the work done since they have an office there, but that's just a guess.

I'm disappointed the ECU's never got to the guy at the dealer in Warsaw. It would be nice to have a FOB again. They were going to give me an extra FOB for only $20 extra. That would have cost me about another $150 over the Carmo job. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the guy in Warsaw and mail the 3 ECU's to his friend in the UK instead of mailing them directly to Warsaw.

Moral of the story, get an immobilizer key made if you only have 1 FOB. And that may be possible at a good locksmith. I bet it's possible to read the code in the RFID chip in the FOB and make a RFID ( immobilizer ) key to match.

This has been a learning experience - might as well be philosophical about this !! And the $1,400 stimulus helped, too.

Last edited:
My 2008 is running and back on the road again - finally.

Here is the complete story :

Believe it or not, there is a guy at a Kawasaki dealer in Warsaw, Poland who can supply new FOBs and re-program the ECU's if you send him the three ECU's ( KIPASS, Engine ECU, and the "ECU" that is part of the ignition switch assembly ). I found his listing on EBay.

My first thought was " What kind of idiot would ship the 3 ECU's to this guy in Warsaw ?"

He had his cell phone number listed, so I called him. He said it does work for people all over Europe and also Africa. Once I found the shipping address was to a dealer in Warsaw, I figured he was legit.

He said his preferred shipper was DHL ( 100% reliable he said ) and the cost to the US was $55. Well, my cost to ship to Warsaw ( Warszawa ) by DHL would be over $200 , I found out !! With a commercial account, the cost would be much lower, but not for a private party. A friend of mine has a daughter that was living in Europe for several years and he told me the cheapest was to ship overseas is USPS. So I sent the 3 ECU's on October 22 to Warsaw for $106. Then I waited ........ and waited ........ For some unknown reason, after the package reached Warsaw, it was held in customs and then returned to me after New Year. I had no idea why and still don't - tracking didn't help much. When I received the package a few weeks ago, it was obvious it wasn't even opened by customs. There was a sticker on it in Polish that translated " Did not accept ". I though at that time, maybe the dealer was closed Christmas week, but the guy I was sending it to at the dealer said someone was there all week ( ??? ).

He said for US and Mexico customers, after may package didn't arrive to him in a few weeks, he started having customers ship to his friend in the UK and then his friend forwards the packages to him. He said he has done 3 jobs since then w/o any shipping issues by doing that.

Anyway, once I got the ECU's back, I contacted Carmo Electronics and had them supply me 2 keys containing a RFID chip - they can't supply a FOB even tho they show that a FOB is available at their website. So I don't have a FOB, only the "immobilizer" key. Interestingly, I only needed to send Carmo ( Chico, California ) the ECU that is part of the ignition switch. They guy at Carmo said they would replace the part in the ECU that was programmed for the code in the new immobilizer keys. That cost me $400 plus shipping to Chico ( a UPS Store there ). So, it cost me about $546 ( $106 + $40 + $400 ) to get the bike running again. I think this is far less than a new ECU, FOB and labor would have been at the dealer. Carmo claims a 3 day turn around at their website, but It took several weeks to get the ECU back from Carmo. I suspect it may have been shipped to the Netherland to have the work done since they have an office there, but that's just a guess.

I'm disappointed the ECU's never got to the guy at the dealer in Warsaw. It would be nice to have a FOB again. They were going to give me an extra FOB for only $20 extra. That would have cost me about another $150 over the Carmo job.

Moral of the story, get an immobilizer key made if you only have 1 FOB. And that may be possible at a good locksmith. I bet it's possible to read the code in the RFID chip in the FOB and make a RFID ( immobilizer ) key to match.

This has been a learning experience - might as well be philosophical about this !! And the $1,400 stimulus helped, too.
I think i will ride up to Chico and see if i can talk to The people at Carmo about my fobs and see what or if they can do to help me!

You will probably be wasting your time - no Carmo office in Chico : the Carmo address in Chico is for a UPS Store. Send them an email instead. And they can't supply a FOB, only a key that contains an RFID chip ( works like the "immobilzer" that Steve talks about in his video above).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the guy in Warsaw and mail the 3 ECU's to his friend in the UK instead of mailing them directly to Warsaw.

It would probably take about 2 weeks, the same as Carmo. The guy in Warsaw said the turn around in Warsaw would be 2 days or less.

Last edited:
Now that you have a working RFID key, couldn't you take the bike to a Kawi dealer and have them program a new FOB? I thought as long as you had one working key, passive or active, they could program new keys.

Now that you have a working RFID key, couldn't you take the bike to a Kawi dealer and have them program a new FOB? I thought as long as you had one working key, passive or active, they could program new keys.
That is correct, if one has the original Kawasaki RFID chip. I had it done when I lost my FOB and only had the credit card (closer to a domino tile than a credit card, but why confuse people) RFID with spare key holder. I had a new FOB programmed and an additional credit card RFID programmed in when all I had was the original credit card RFID. So counting the the RFID chip in the active FOB, I now have 3 RFID chip options and one Active FOB option to start the bike after having only one RFID credit card at the low point.

However, I don't know enough about the system to know if all that is possible if they have replaced the RFID reader in the key lock assembly, which if I understand correctly is what Carmo does. (??)

He should be able too. You just need a working fob or chip so you can TURN ON the bike. Once the ignition is turned on it allows the KDS system to be able to connect to the bike !

He should be able too. You just need a working fob or chip so you can TURN ON the bike. Once the ignition is turned on it allows the KDS system to be able to connect to the bike !
Yup, The guy at Carmo told me I could have a new FOB registered into the KIPASS ECU now, if I wanted to have that done now.