• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

In Baja on the Wing

advtracker

We're in Baja on the Wing. It's HOT. Made it as far as La Paz then headed back north. Now for our second stay in San Ignacio. Next Catavina, then Ensenada, then will recross the border next week where the truck is waiting in Yucca Valley, CA. Trailered it down from WA State as it was in the low 30s and raining there.IMG_4351.JPG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 16.52.20.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 16.52.20.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

advtracker

Good for you! Enjoy your trip. How does the Gold Wing handle the topes?
Very good question. I always take my VStrom South of the Border, but as I brought the pillion unit with me this time, I took the Wing. Her primary job is to warn me about the topes. I go over them at an angle slowly, and so far no problems.

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Love your wing...I have a white 18 DCT tour! It's great to see that it can handle the Baja area roads. Is getting gas an issue? I live in Southern California and would like to ride down there maybe this fall or next spring. Safe travels!

advtracker

Love your wing...I have a white 18 DCT tour! It's great to see that it can handle the Baja area roads. Is getting gas an issue? I live in Southern California and would like to ride down there maybe this fall or next spring. Safe travels!
Mine’s a 2018 DCT also. Only had to get Barrell gas once. Actually about 80% + of the paved roads are in good condition. We came down a bit late. Would recommended Feb or earlier due to the heat. 98 deg. is too much. C u @ The Bun Cooler?

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Mine’s a 2018 DCT also. Only had to get Barrell gas once. Actually about 80% + of the paved roads are in good condition. We came down a bit late. Would recommended Feb or earlier due to the heat. 98 deg. is too much. C u @ The Bun Cooler?
I am going to try to make the Bun Cooler! Safe travels coming home. :)

Strawboss

Serious question, how does that work with quarantines now, going there and coming back, just interested, as a trip like that has always fascinated me.

advtracker

Serious question, how does that work with quarantines now, going there and coming back, just interested, as a trip like that has always fascinated me.
Zero problem. We got waved across the border into Mexico. Stopped by the office to get our FMMs (Immigration permits, like a Visa sort of), and that was it. We could have even skipped the FMM process but that wouldn't have been wise.
Coming back into the US was completely uneventful. A few questions and that was it.

nickrides

Baja Story time
We did alot of month long Van surfing trips down there from 75-95.
Paid quite a few "La Mordida" petty 20 dollars bribes to the cops for some made up infraction.
La Mordida = The Bite
Were approaching Tijuana after a a month long trip and I turn to my wife and say, "we haven't gotten stopped by the cops once".
I look in my mirror and see a cop behind us with the lights on. I'm pissed and say to my self there is no way I'm paying this guy off.
Its like 5 lanes wide and I slowly come to a stop on the middle lane blocking traffic.
He starts honking his horn motioning me to pull over to the side. No way- I don't move.
He comes up to me telling me to move to the side and I respond very slowly like a mentally challenged person.
But I don't move. Traffic is backing way up.
Finally after about 2 minutes of this he pulls around me motioning me to follow. I move over a couple of lanes and ignore him.
He disappears into the million cars.. Whahoo I won!
Nick
2014 C-14

Last edited:

greenie

As an unrepentant speeder I've been stopped by police in Mexico maybe 6 times in 21 years. Only once did money change hands - about 20 USD. The other times the police didn't come out and ask for cash but waited for me to offer cash (pen poised 1/8" above a summons book)- which I never did. Often times the traffic stop ended with a handshake and wishes for a safe journey.
Consider what a similar traffic stop in New York or California will cost - $500 by the time all surcharges are paid and that doesn't include what the insurance company might do in premiums.
The wife and I got to know 2 Federal police officers pretty well, ate and drank with them. They impressed me as honest and professional LEOs. Local police officers were less so but still not as bad as legend has it.
I would not let fear of police corruption keep me from visiting this beautiful and enigmatic nation. Mountain roads, oceans, friendly people, terrific food, and what I consider the best beer in the world - it's a motorcyclist's paradise.

Strawboss

I asked around and got what I was looking for about travelling and quarantines. I don't travel on planes or trains or busses, so I did not understand the current quarantine situation, I was merely interested as I used to travel to Canada before the troubles but from what we are told here 50 miles from the border that Canada is quite strict regarding people coming to Canada, and I thought maybe restrictions may have been relaxed a bit. In a nutshell, quick testing is what I found out happens at the borders of other countries, test negative, you go on your way.

greenie

I live about 200 miles from Quebec City - just like going to Europe except without the body odor. My daughter and I started a yearly tradition of her and I (only, no Mom) riding to Quebec City when she was about 12. We did this 22 years in a row never missing a year... until 2020 when Canada closed its borders. She started off riding with me, then when old enough on her Ninja 250, then a Yamaha R-6. We have matching radar camera images from one trip that only cost $125 Canadian each (about $30 USD ;) ) It was a wonderful experience where we had face time in an otherwise busy life. .. Plus I could impress her with my Spanish when ordering meals or beverages (saving what little French I knew for Mexico trips)

Canada has gone full bat guano crazy enacting laws forbidding outside walks after 8PM and expensive mini internment like quarantines in hotels for those few determined enough to enter Canada now. Cross border trucking is still permitted, but for the way I feel now that should be shut off too if Canada is so worried about Covid.