• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installed LED headlights and turn signals

TJK, I have not done the rears yet, but I do have them to install this weekend. I'll do the same pic with the hazards on to show both. The same bulb fits.

Rich, yes. It was a straight swap. I made sure I found bulbs that were direct replacements, and allowed the use of the OEM headlight boots and connectors the way Kawasaki designed it. Some LED bulbs use remote drivers or big fans, which don't seal up the same with the OEM boots, and can allow water into the housings.

I rode it from Mesa, AZ to Las Vegas and back this weekend. Non-stop except for gas both directions. No ill effect on the headlights. If they will run for 5 hours straight, twice, I have no reason to believe that there will be any heat issues as a daily driver.

No problem, sir. The turn signals were a bit on the expensive side, but they really are excellent. And the design works perfectly with the shape of the C14 lights. The head of the bulb is sort-of a projector and shines really brightly ahead, and the LEDs around the circumference really shine to the sides as well.

Riding to and from Vegas really made it evident how much better the new lights are. Many people who were dawdling in the left hand lane moved over without me ever having to tap the passing lights.

Here is my solution:

F060-CA52-B14-E-4-FD2-BA80-D68-F21-E8-B661.jpg

The factory tail/brake and signals are now red running lights.

Those look nice. I'd probably do that if I had kept my rear fender. I emailed B2W to see if I could work with something. I may disassemble my original light and work some voodoo on it.

It’ll work with a fender eliminator. The Whelen lights are mounted on a flat plate that goes behind the license plate. There are ears Tonkin the lights.

Newest PY21W BAU15S LED Car Bulbs, Amber Yellow 25W 12496 7507 PY21W BAU15S LED 2641A Bulbs for Turn Signal Lights with Build-in Load Resistor Anti Hyper Flash for Blinker Bulb (Pack of 2) https://amazon.com/dp/B08DHMNDF2/

AUXITO H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs, 12000LM Per Set 6500K Xenon White for High and Low Beam Hi/Lo Plug and Play, Pack of 2 https://amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH/
Thanks for the link to the LED turn signals!
Direct plug n play units! These things are freakin' bright, buddy!
They would only let me order 1 pack at a time but well worth the price in my opinion!

Norm

Glad they worked out for you, Norm. Put a full set in my buddy’s ZX14R. Had to put a new flasher in his, since his uses a different, 2-wire flasher. Otherwise, direct for those too.

I installed the headlights last night replacing some LEDs I put in a couple years ago. Cut off on the low beam is much better than what I was running and the high beams light up road signs for a couple miles! Installation was a snap too because of their size. The units I just pulled out had a huge heat sink that sat behind the bulbs. The picture is the same brand I was running before, but the H4 that they don't stock anymore.

Attachments

• old led lights.jpg
    old led lights.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 269
Howdy. Nice writeup! I had swapped out the front lights and location lamps with LEDs too and they work much better. Also noticed that the license plate lamp is 1980's style and I'd like to replace that with an LED. Have you swapped out yours already, and if so which lamp did you opt for?

Thx, AB

I installed the headlights last night replacing some LEDs I put in a couple years ago. Cut off on the low beam is much better than what I was running and the high beams light up road signs for a couple miles! Installation was a snap too because of their size. The units I just pulled out had a huge heat sink that sat behind the bulbs. The picture is the same brand I was running before, but the H4 that they don't stock anymore.

Just want to confirm, for any who may have doubts about these lamps, that they are WAAAAY brighter than the LEDs I previously had installed. Haven't seen them coming at me, but from the way the road lights up out front I'm guessing these are pretty hard to miss! And then the high beams, wow. Just WOW.

My next thought is to swap out the turn signal lamps for the switchbacks. Saw a thread about them the other day. Not sure I'm a big fan of pulling off the body panels to string the wiring though. The video that was shared gave an overview, but didn't get into nearly enough detail for me to feel comfortable plunging in.

At this point I think I'll just swap out the front turn signal lamps for the LED ambers, which appear to be super bright based on the number of surfaces. Only concern might be that they could get super hot. I'll try these and report back once installed.
1621531005394.png

At this point I think I'll just swap out the front turn signal lamps for the LED ambers, which appear to be super bright based on the number of surfaces. Only concern might be that they could get super hot. I'll try these and report back once installed.

I haven't had any issues with heat, and it's been pretty warm here.

What flasher did you use in your buddy's 14R? I have a 2012 ZX14r. Did you change out his headlamps?
For the flasher relay, went with the CustomLED guy. Worked great. https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay

For the headlights on his 2018 ZX14R: https://www.amazon.com/H11-H8-H9-Conversion-Waterproof/dp/B08LKLV4DX

They work AWESOME. It is how the bike should have come. The pure white lights are SOOO much better than the OEM incandescents. The highs and lows are the same bulb. On the 2018 anyway. And the passing light button on the ZX makes it look like a damn strobe. Not that he has to use it. The same city lights above work for the ZX, too. They're even the same color temp as the linked headlights.

Just want to confirm, for any who may have doubts about these lamps, that they are WAAAAY brighter than the LEDs I previously had installed. Haven't seen them coming at me, but from the way the road lights up out front I'm guessing these are pretty hard to miss! And then the high beams, wow. Just WOW.

My next thought is to swap out the turn signal lamps for the switchbacks. Saw a thread about them the other day. Not sure I'm a big fan of pulling off the body panels to string the wiring though. The video that was shared gave an overview, but didn't get into nearly enough detail for me to feel comfortable plunging in.

View attachment 29285

UPDATE: finally got around to pulling off the body work and installed these on the front turn signals. WOW what a difference!

No joke folks, these are eye popping. Just ordered another set for my rear lamps (which are infinitely easier to swap out).

Why Kawa product mgrs decided against giving us these inexpensive lamps off the showroom floor is beyond me. The difference they make is remarkable. Thankfully I'll have these in place until I can scratch together the $250 to upgrade the whole shootin' match to the switchbacks.

In the meanwhile, if you're looking for a small (low budget) project that has a big impact, these will fit that bill.

Just a FYI, I’ve been riding around in 110°+ heat, no ill effects on any of the bulbs. It was 117° on my ride home yesterday.

It really makes me happy to see others using these. I’m glad I could contribute to the community in some small way.

Thanks Tony,
I installed the Bright2Wheels LED Tail light with integrated turn signals. That was an easy install. Now all the lights are all bright LED's and they work great. Thanks for your suggesting the the tail light.
Ken

Similar install last night . From a 130 feet to the front of the barn hi beam and low beam
81Va7b1JCfL._AC_SL1500_.jpglights18b.jpglights18a.jpg

Newest PY21W BAU15S LED Car Bulbs, Amber Yellow 25W 12496 7507 PY21W BAU15S LED 2641A Bulbs for Turn Signal Lights with Build-in Load Resistor Anti Hyper Flash for Blinker Bulb (Pack of 2) https://amazon.com/dp/B08DHMNDF2/

AUXITO H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs, 12000LM Per Set 6500K Xenon White for High and Low Beam Hi/Lo Plug and Play, Pack of 2 https://amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH/

Have you enojed the Auxito LED's? I installed some just about a month ago, but haven"t done any night riding.

Thanks for the great write up. I swapped my headlights and daytime running lights to the LEDs you noted last year and love them.

For the turn signals did the bulbs prevent hyper-flashing or did you rewire the turn signals to address?

As one who has installed LED headlight bulbs in a few bikes, I would like to point out that “too me” the greatest advantage to switching to LEDs is to become more visible to oncoming traffic. I am convinced that enhanced VISIBILITY is a key part of staying safe on the roads.

I picked up a set of the amber LED turn signal bulbs from the Amazon link last week and love them. I tried to buy a second set for the rear, but it seems that amber units are not available. The link now maps to a white set that have an incompatible base. I see many options out there and many suggest an added resistor may be needed or different relay in the bike's wiring. Does anyone know of a similar plug-and-play set of amber LED bulbs that have the same brightness?

Like Viper, I feel that the greatest advantage to switching to LEDs is to become more visible to oncoming traffic. I am convinced that enhanced VISIBILITY is a key part of staying safe on the roads.

I installed the Gixerhp Switchback Lights on the front of mine. His kit is plug and play.
(ie; I'm not as good at wiring as bigOred so I opted to buy ready built).
(Red amazes me}
(Even with the kit, I admit that I called to Gixer when I {still} became confused) 🥴

I initially installed the LED Head and Running Lights (I LIKED IT), and then I moved to the signal light installation.
,,,(ie; included in the kit are 2 filamant LED bulbs for the signal locations)
With these installed in the signal locations, I Now have white running lights "and" BRIGHT amber blinkers.
With "all" LED's on the front, the bike really stands out to approaching traffic.

I have, {and will eventually install} his Switchback Lights on the rear as well.

Gixerhp is a COG Industry Member and supports COG at the Rally's with prizes.
Saaaaa-lute. (And thank you for your assistance)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Like Viper, I feel that the greatest advantage to switching to LEDs is to become more visible to oncoming traffic. I am convinced that enhanced VISIBILITY is a key part of staying safe on the roads.

I installed the Gixerhp Switchback Lights on the front of mine. His kit is plug and play.
(ie; I'm not as good at wiring as bigOred so I opted to buy ready built).
(I admit that I called to him when I became confused) 🥴

I initially installed the LED Head and Running Lights, and then moved to the signal lights.
,,,(ie; included in the kit are 2 filamant LED bulbs for the signal locations)
With these installed in the signal locations, I Now have white running lights "and" BRIGHT amber blinkers.
With "all" LED's on the front, the bike really stands out to approaching traffic.

I have, {and will eventually install} his Switchback Lights on the rear as well.

Gixerhp is a COG Industry Member and supports COG at the Rally's with prizes.
Saaaaa-lute. (And thank you for your assistance)

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks so much for the information Ted!!! I like making my self less invisible :) Happy and safe riding. Rob

I thought I did. The actual ones I bought, the link is broken. These are the same color and manufacturer, just have more LED chips: https://amazon.com/SiriusLED-Extremely-Chipset-Interior-Courtesy/dp/B00GXO3IUG
How did you get to the light locations to replace. The service manual says to remove inner fairing and cone up from the bottom. Did you do this or just have a way to reach in and get to them. I have the bulbs from the link and will be replacing them. Any hints?

How did you get to the light locations to replace. The service manual says to remove inner fairing and cone up from the bottom. Did you do this or just have a way to reach in and get to them. I have the bulbs from the link and will be replacing them. Any hints?
For the headlights you can reach down through the handlebars. For the running lights, take off the small fairing (a few pop rivets if I remember correctly) under the headlights and reach up from the bottom.

I am getting hyper flashing from my LED turn signal bulbs I just added. The fronts have a built in resistor…. But are out of stock as I do the rears. Does anyone have a suggestion for a resistor to get the flashers to work as designed?

I'm still trying to work up the initiative to do the back lights.
I am getting hyper flashing from my LED turn signal bulbs I just added. The fronts have a built in resistor…. But are out of stock as I do the rears. Does anyone have a suggestion for a resistor to get the flashers to work as designed?
You could install a LED Flasher relay and the hyperflash issue should be solved.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:

You could install a LED Flasher relay and the hyperflash issue should be solved.

Ride safe, Ted
Fantastic! I like the OEM plug and play aspect of this quick fix. I really was not wanting to hack into the wiring to install a load resistor. I will order today. This is why I am SO happy to be a member of COG. Thanks Ted!!!

Last edited:

Ride safe, Ted
The flasher is perfect and mounted easily. You are a wealth of great information!!!

The front and rear turn signal lamps I ordered have a different mount. Pins on the base are 180º offset while the originals are not directly across from each other. did I get the wrong part?

The front and rear turn signal lamps I ordered have a different mount. Pins on the base are 180º offset while the originals are not directly across from each other. did I get the wrong part?
Yes… you have the wrong bulbs. I had this problem when Amazon subbed a different bulb than what I wanted because original was not available.

Last edited:

Unfortunately that may be the case. I did the same thing, and had to return the package.
After figuring it out, these are the LED turn signal lamps I retro-fitted with (don't forget to order 2 sets):

EDITED: removed the errant link to a product that is no longer available. See below for updated comparable bulbs... Thx, AB

Attachments

• 1660873137231.png
    1660873137231.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
The link is for a white bulb. The BAU15s mount has pins at 150º. Not 180º.

Good point. Didn't look. This is the product link in my order history. Not sure why it pulls a white bulb now...? I can assure you that both front and rear are amber and a VERY bright amber. As you can see, I didn't order both sets at the same time. I bought one to check them. After installing on the rear (easier to do in just a few mins) and seeing how super bright they were I went ahead and ordered the fronts to replace while I had the fairings off for service.
1660881095655.png

1660881214914.png

The LED City Lights that I installed have started to flicker. Think it's just the contact but people have told me that the LED's used for the City location sometimes flicker.

Found these to order.
I like the idea that they have LED's all around the diameter. Thinking that they might work a bit better with the reflector in the housing.
Any thoughts from anyone?

Ted, the bulbs you got from me are flickering? I was using them and had no issues. Still have the whole bag (minus the two you have installed and the ones I used for about a year) if you want them.

1661029700333.png

I'd unplug them and plug them back in to make sure the connections are solid, unless you're just itching for something inexpensive to fiddle with. LOL

Last year I also bought a set of these and finally installed them. I like these smaller ones because I have no doubt about the heat. With the ones you linked to I'm sure there's a whole lot more heat build-up after only a few mins of operation.

1661029567042.png

I installed the Auxito H4 LED's in December of last year and have blown my low-beam fuse on four separate occasions. I will not try a heavier fuse. Finally, today while riding in Heber Springs, I put my original halogens back in and didn't blow any more fuses. I'm writing the company to see if they'll give me my money back ($50). They are getting too hot. When I pulled them today they were hot to handle (at the base). No more trust in them.

Similar issue anyone?

Is there a plug & play LED that's tried and true?

9003/H4/HB2 Auxito LED Headlights. On the back of the package it says M3. I found them by researching this thread and purchased them on Amazon.

Edit: I just looked at your link. Yours says "motorcycle specific" and mine does not. Mine don't look like yours at all.

Edit2: these are the ones I bought:

Last edited:
I'll post if I see anything odd with mine. Currently I have my plastics off and waiting for the led flasher relay to arrive so I can finish with the turn signals.

can you post a link the the exact bulbs you got? the stock halogen are 60 watt I believe so maybe you got defective ones? interested to hear what others have to say who swapped and to which bulbs.

This is the one that I use. "Many others" have had excellent luck with them.
have a flat area at the top to prevent oncoming traffic, and bright as heck!

I'm a bit concerned with the ones IknowYouRider and RangerRay posted.
Important: I'm NOT saying that theirs is wrong, I just have a concern.
ie; Theirs has heat sinks inside of the headlight housing. (that I hope absorb the heat).
But there is nothing outside of the housing to get rid of that heat.
I suspect that they're this way because their designed to fit easily into a motorcycle.

The ones I posted have heat sinks outside of the housing. (to get rid of the heat)
Bit more work to get into the bike, but not difficult.

Ride safe, Ted

1662671217291.png

Last edited:

Important: I'm NOT saying that theirs is wrong, but they have heat sinks inside of the headlight housing. (that I hope absorb the heat). Note that there is nothing outside of the housing to get rid of that heat.
ie; Their designed to fit easily into a motorcycle.

The ones I posted have heat sinks outside of the housing to get rid of the heat.

Ride safe, Ted
How do you get the dust seal on after installing this LED?

You remove the mounting ring from the bulb, install that mount on the bike, then install the dust seal, and lastly re-attach the bulb to the mounting ring. (It uses two pins that lock it into place).
It's EZ to do, but you must clock the bulb (right side up) when you re-attach as it can be mounted upside down.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Both of the bulbs we're talking about have a plate beside the High Beam LED.
That plate causes a flat or dark area at the top of the beam. (Can be seen when you shine the bulb towards a wall)
That dark area prevents blinding oncoming traffic.
Do not consider any bulb that does not have something like that plate in it's design..

1662670846515.png

Last edited:

Important: I'm NOT saying that theirs is wrong, I just have a concern.
ie; Theirs has heat sinks inside of the headlight housing. (that I hope absorb the heat).
But there is nothing outside of the housing to get rid of that heat.
I suspect that they're this way because their designed to fit easily into a motorcycle.

The ones I posted have heat sinks outside of the housing. (to get rid of the heat)

Ride safe, Ted

View attachment 33884
I rode 4 hours in ~90 degrees with the motorcycle specific auxito and they did not melt on me 😁. They are super bright and direct plug and play. The beamrtechs you got look cool too.

The company is going to replace the bulbs. I opted to destroy the ones I have after the replacement (and send them photo evidence) after the replacements are here. I hope they catch that I probably need the motorcycle specific bulbs and send those, but if they don't I'm going to sell them and try something else.

RangerRay; There is another discussion currently going on where a guy "was" having the same problem you had.
He unplugged and re-plugged the bulb. Problem solved.
Don't tell anyone, but He had the Beamtechs that I use. :oops:

I like a simple solution, but I don’t know if that’s enough to restore my faith in the bulbs. I’ve certainly got the time to experiment, though.

I like a simple solution, but I don’t know if that’s enough to restore my faith in the bulbs. I’ve certainly got the time to experiment, though.

If you like simple, try the ones I (and many others) have installed. They are a direct replacement for the OEMs, and they're excellent. No huge heat sink, and still no issues over the past 18 months and 17,500 miles. I was bit nervous when I first tried them, but they've exceeded my expectations.

If you like simple, try the ones I (and many others) have installed. They are a direct replacement for the OEMs, and they're excellent. No huge heat sink, and still no issues over the past 18 months and 17,500 miles. I was bit nervous when I first tried them, but they've exceeded my expectations.

Those are the exact ones I’ve been having problems with. There is a small fan in each bulb. They’re not working for me. As noted, maybe I need to try them again, but I’m leery.

Those are the exact ones I’ve been having problems with. There is a small fan in each bulb. They’re not working for me. As noted, maybe I need to try them again, but I’m leery.

For $40 you can’t go wrong getting another set to try. But did you identify if it’s just one of them, or both? I’d pull them all the way out and give a close-up visual inspection. I’d also use a high lumen flashlight to check your connectors and wires down under the steering rack. These bulbs are rated at 30,000 hour lifespan.

Just like any bulb these will require a really solid seating of the connector, and then the boot gets pushed all the way back into place. I’ve gotten caught in torrential downpours and haven’t had any problems at all. I’ve ridden for about 6 hrs straight through some of the Hades’ Heat here across South Texas and haven’t had an issue. Heck, I even rode when we had the deep freeze here as well without any issue,

Could be that the set you rcv’d were defective, or the connections just need cleaning and reseating. But I’ll bet you that popping in a new set, double-checking the wiring connections are clicked in well, the clamps are re-strung across the back of the bulb, and the boots are fully covering the connections you won’t have any more issues.

Keep us posted!

I stand corrected. I see now that the ones RR posted do have a fan to remove the heat.
I was looking at the ones that IknowYou posted.
NOTE: They work fine for him. My concern is just a concern and I miss spoke.
Didn't realize that we were talking about 3 different lights.
My OOps.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I see now that the ones RR posted do have a fan to remove the heat.
I was looking at the ones that IknowYou posted.
NOTE: They work fine for him. My concern is just a concern and I miss spoke.
Didn't realize that we were talking about 3 different lights.
My OOps.

Ride safe, Ted
Yea, it’s kind of confusing, but whatever the case, I like the idea of the heat sink being able to shed heat to the outside environment. And it looks like Auxito now has the “fanless” version.

One way or another I’ll try some more because the light output is so awesome. But, I’ll have my spares close by.

FYI -
Based on recommendations above, I bought the Beamtech bulbs. They appear to be high quality, well made, etc, but they have the large heat sink on the back.
Connie-Rider advised, to reinstall the dust seal - "
You remove the mounting ring from the bulb, install that mount on the bike, then install the dust seal, and lastly re-attach the bulb to the mounting ring. (It uses two pins that lock it into place). It's EZ to do, but you must clock the bulb (right side up) when you re-attach as it can be mounted upside down."
I don't see any way to easily (ie low force) remove the ring from the bulb. I'm going to send these back and get the Auxito version that lacks the large heat sink.

I just bought and installed a BeamTech LED bulb on my '02 C10 and had no problem removing the ring from the rest of the bulb. Just hold the ring with your left thumb and a couple of fingers and the heatsink with your right, and turn the heatsink side counterclockwise a quarter turn to unlock it, and then pull it out of the ring. It hardly takes any force at all.

Coggers, back in 2019 I replaced my HIDs with these LumaWerx 9G LEDs and they have been working great. Easy install, and they have a nice cut line for low beam and high beam does a good job of reaching out to the horizon without being totally blinding to oncoming vehicles at a distance.
Bought them at our local LED specialist and customizer for all things LED. HID Kit Pros in Bellevue, WA. No fans to whine and they seem to stay pretty cool all the time. A bit pricier than others on Amazon, but I value the warranty and support I get from these guys, even by phone.

Short Specs:
  • LED Emitters: Philips Luxen ZES Chips1666205962501.png
  • Kelvin: 6000K
  • Lumens:
    • Low Beam – 4500lm
    • High Beam – 6000lm

1666205962501.png