• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installing new water pump

thomasjhill034902

Hello, I'm installing a new water pump that I purchased from Erskine a couple years ago. I have a quick question does anyone know if I have to drain the oil to do this job?

If you pull the pump on the center stand you will drain some of the oil. I put a 2 x 4 under left leg and still leaked a little. I was afraid to go any further. You can just top it up but it will make a mess.

Hello, I'm installing a new water pump that I purchased from Erskine a couple years ago. I have a quick question does anyone know if I have to drain the oil to do this job?

If you pull the pump on the center stand you will drain some of the oil. I put a 2 x 4 under left leg and still leaked a little. I was afraid to go any further. You can just top it up but it will make a mess.
Thanks I appreciate your input

Thanks Steve for your lessons from experience. ... I had same leak on my 2002 Concours at about 60K miles. Nice to figure out the cause of oil dripping on the left side exhaust pipe. My water pump bearing was worn out enough to cause a wobbly pump impeller. One lesson to pass on via my DIY wrenching fix. ... USE the OEM O-ring on that round water pump shaft going into the crankcase. The Reason: The generic O-ring I used on my first fix, that said it was same dimensions; was actually slightly thinner plus inferior material, and it leaked oil there after about 200 miles. I was not a happy camper on having figure that one out, and then pull my water pump a 2nd time for that fix. I am now about to pull my water pump out a 3rd time to address oil leaking out of that weep hole again on my new water pump after only about 500 miles. I found a thread here on this forum as added educational. I Recomend a review of https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/new-waterpump-oil-seal-leak.46302/

Last edited: