• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installing Saddlebags. Help needed.

I inherited my Dad's 98' Concours last summer. When I picked it up from my mother the saddlebags were not attached and I'm struggling to find the correct way to attach them. Would anyone be able to provide a video or list of instructions for some guidance? Thanks!

I'm not near my bike but from my memory,

Make sure the latch on the side of the bag is open.
While holding the bottom of the bag a little further from the bike than the top of the bag (angled out at the bottom) place the bags slot on the the mounting rail (we call them antlers around here) with the bag a little rearward? of the actual latch attachment point.
You will feel the bag drop onto the mounting rail, then as you lower the bottom of the bag towards the bike, slide the bag forward to have the side latch line up with its mount point on the downward section of the mounting rail.

I hope you can visualize from my description. The bags slot wont go onto the rail unless you tip the bottom of the bag outward and you can't have the bags side latch directly located on the latch mounting point, so that is why you mount the bag slightly (3/4" of an inch or so, if I remember correctly, rearward from the actual latching point.
Good luck, I had a hard time the first couple of times I did it but after a couple of times its easy peasy.

With the bag empty it is easier for learning then when it is full of travel stuff. When you get it loaded always keep that latch locked that attaches to the antler.

I confirmed that the process above is correct this morning. Too dark in that part of the garage to take pics. The bag needs to be rearward of the side latch latching location by around 1/4-1/2" when loading the angled bag on the rail.
BTW, I need to lube those side latches and lock, I don't take the bags off much.

....but always lock the latch, that holds the bags to the bottom anchor.  Simply latching it wont keep it from opening on the bad bump.... it can happen....

I always run a small bolt & nut through the center of the rubber bumper that rests against the bike. This prevents flexing of the antlers and further assures the whole assembly won't fall off on the road.