• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ironbutt route tracking

rmills944

For those that have done an ironbutt, what's a good tracking app to document your ride for you and trace your route? I'd like to get something to make documentation easier.

Thanks

rmills

Do you have a GPS?  That is obviously the best way to track.  Another option is a Spotwalla device, but those can get pricey if you're just looking at a once in a while long trip.  For me, I just use Google Maps to set up the route and then print that out.  You need to take pictures of all receipts next to your odometer when you gas up to help track your miles between fill ups.  I'm sure you will get more expert advice on this forum.

Steve

I've been planning to do receipts like the webpage says and all, but the route isn't the most straight-forward across Arkansas - no direct highway. I can do it, but would liek something that tracked what time I was where. I found one called "GPS Tracker" that tracks just about anything - I could do screenshots from that. I just wanted to see what everyone else was using for electronic documentation.

I use a SPOT with Spotwalla but it really does not make documenting a ride any easier. The rider is still required to get a receipt for all stops over (I think) 10 minutes, is required to get a receipt for all fuel stops, and must stop for fuel in intervals of 350 miles max. And the starting and ending point witness statements are still required.

Where Spotwalla does come in handy is if you get fuel and no receipt (a closed fuel station when the pump is out of paper or the paper is jammed), you can use Spotwalla data to help document that you really were at that fuel station at that time. Along with a charge card receipt of the actual purchase, of course. The other advantage is that the IBA will calculate the miles between your stop points from the receipts via the shortest distance, so if you actually take a longer route between stops there is not really any other way of documenting those extra miles. It is still best to make sure the points you have recepits for actually add up to slightly over the minimum miles required to certify a specific ride but Spotwalla <may> help if the mileage is very slightly under the limit and yet you did really cover all the miles needed.

Brian

rmills944 said:
For those that have done an ironbutt, what's a good tracking app to document your ride for you and trace your route? I'd like to get something to make documentation easier.

Thanks

Spotwalla has phone apps
Dont know exactly the name but Ive got it on my iphone(Left phone on bike)
I believe it is free or very low cost
Drawback is if your phone is off grid it doesnt track

Yep, Spotwalla will take cell phone input. Other than a similar name, it is a private site and has no connection whatsoever with SPOT (Find Me SPOT, the satellite locating service), so it works exactly the same with a smart phone other than the limitation that you pointed out, you have to have cell coverage. But it is a really nice service, it is free, and the owner is a great guy who is more than accommodating, and a long- distance rider himself, and more than willing to help people use his site / service.

Brian

who me? said:
Spotwalla has phone apps
Dont know exactly the name but Ive got it on my iphone(Left phone on bike)
I believe it is free or very low cost
Drawback is if your phone is off grid it doesnt track