• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is Fred H. still the only person to replace a Gen 1 TPMS battery?

KretonsLC

Time to replace the front TPMS battery on my 2012. I'm near Austin, TX so was just curious whether anyone in my area does these or if it's still just Fred Harmon in Arkansas.

Fred is the only one I know of who is changing TPMS batteries as a service.
For this generation sensor, it is not a complex DIY project to change the batteries.
The most difficult part is removing the sensors from the wheels. B.D.F. wrote a post documenting his on the bike removal of the sensors.
Lot's of good info regarding battery replacement in this thread. https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/better-replacement-tpms-batteries.29446/

Last edited:
If i can do it, you can do it! Like s.smith says lots of yhreads about this, look for tje one using C clamps to remove the tire from the rim, with the wheel still attached, yo gain access to the tpms unit.

I used to be good at soldering. But after 2011 I lost the ability. I sent my gen 1 sensors to Fred and was happy. For the first time both sensors read the same according to my tire pressure gauge when cold. Cost is not all that bad even with shipping. Fred has a fast turn around. You know the sensor works because Fred has the testing equipment to test them for a working transmission signal before sending them back. The hard part is marking which one is front and which one is rear.

Murph's also has a sensor stem/wheel seal. These should be probably changed once in awhile and they are cheap insurance.

I just ordered a few batteries and I'm going to do it myself. Doesn't seem difficult. I'm hoping the dead TPMS sensors that came with my bike are still paired.

Thanks all. I don't have the ability to remove/install the tire, and since I need new tires too, so I've arranged with a local shop to have them send the sensor to Fred while the bike is in there for the new tires install. I know Fred does good work and the cost will be much less than a new sensor.

I took mine into Batteries Plus and they removed the old batteries and installed new ones. (soldered in)