• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is Motorcycling Safe?

danmcdermott

People ask me questions like: "Is motorcycling safe?", "My son/daughter wants a motorcycle what should I do?", "My wife or husband wants to buy a motorcycle and I am worried they will get themselves killed, what should I do?"

My response to all these questions has been:
#1 Sign up for and attend a motorcycle safety course.
#2 Follow the rules of the road (speed limit, right of way etc).

In my opinion, any rider that does these two things decreases their chances of being in an accident by 50%. I do not have any data to back that up, however I get asked often and this is my answer.

In my opinion, any rider that does these two things decreases their chances of being in an accident by 50%. I do not have any data to back that up, however I get asked often and this is my answer.

These are a good place to start. However, a weekend beginner rider course provides basic skills without a lot of experience. These skills need to be practiced to proficiency. IMHO, the knowledge gained in the classroom sessions are just as important as the motor skills, maybe more so. To better manage risk, riders should: Not ride above their skill level; Develop 360 degree awareness; See and be seen; Wear protective gear; Continued skill practice and rider education.

Once upon a time, I would respond to these kinds of questions with a sober response about all the steps that I and other rides can take to mitigate risks, quoting from the Hurt Report and other stats.

No a'days I accept that the question is coming from a place where the fear of injury already seriously outweighs the excitement of participating. So I just confirm that traffic accidents happen and obviously you'd rather be in an SUV than on a motorcycle when a drunk runs a red light and broadsides you. But other activities are dangerous too, including boating, backpacking, riding a bicycle or being a pedestrian on a city street. So I guess you could sit at home and spend your life playing video games, but you may find that the sedentary life isn't necessarily the long one either. You pick your poison.

When someone seems genuinely interested in what's fun about riding, but also concerned about safety. I'll offer my thoughts. But when it's just the objection "isn't it dangerous?" -- my typical response is: "yes, you shouldn't do it."

True with any activity that pits your skills against the unknown. Ocean floor is littered with sunken boats and ships.

best_animated_images_lightning_airplane.gif

People die from accidents all the time. When I’m asked, I acknowledge the risk and say get skills and don’t trust other drivers. I also refuse to ride if something feels wrong at that moment.

All posts here are true. In my narrow experience people get a bike, do the bare minimum to get an endorsement, buy the cheapest helmet and jacket and ride (people asking me this question are doing so for people who will do this)! As riders if we live long enough we start investing in training, mindset and gear. My intent was to provide 1 or 2 easy things for a new rider to do to drastically improve their odds of surviving.

In my experience (which is very small!) most people dabble in riding and few do a deep dive. All the deep divers are on this website.

I believe that route planning with traffic knowledge is helpful. My riding times typically avoid early morning and early evening. The long shadows and likelihood of a low sun in people’s eyes creates risk. I stay off roads that are main routes for people traveling to and from work. I see too many who are late for something driving recklessly and blowing stop signs. If I notice fog, rain, or mist hampering visibility on my way to a destination; I tend to choose a freeway to avoid oncoming traffic and unexpected turns into traffic from side roads. This advice is additive to the training and safety gear noted above.

Last edited:
In my opinion, it starts with the attitude of the rider and the rest follows. If they are concerned with safety, they will generally operate in a safe(r) manner. Those who are not so inclined often suffer the consequences, as in the Wright quote Murph posted.

It may be quite cynical of me, but I don't think there's much you can do to get someone low in nueroticism and conscientiousness to be safe on a motorcycle, but a fair number of people of that type want the physical thrill of riding. They skew the numbers. I have a notion that things like tiered license requirements may prevent a lot of the thrill seekers from riding since the really incautious ones likely don't have the patience to jump through the hoops and they look elsewhere for immediate stimulation.

As far as what I think is a, or the top priority for safety, I would say that is learning to predict traffic. I found David Hough's take on this very interesting as I had always approached road safety the same way. If you aren't where they can hit you, then you are already ahead.

In my opinion, it starts with the attitude of the rider and the rest follows. If they are concerned with safety, they will generally operate in a safe(r) manner. Those who are not so inclined often suffer the consequences, as in the Wright quote Murph posted.

Agreed. While important for beginners, experienced riders can benefit from safety minded attitude and skills development. Prior to the lockdowns I participated in many community outreach events providing on behalf of the state rider education program to promote experienced and advanced courses. The response was worth noting.

All the responses given here are ones I too have used over the years and still do. Great classes nowdays offer those interested to try it and see if it is for them in a safe environment.

Many who ask this question already have made their mind up and really don't even hear what you have said, maybe even looking for a debate. I answer quickly and simply and move on.

With the worlds information virtually at one's fingertips for someone to ask things like this seems odd to me now when all they have to do is type in stats or bike safety or comments about this.

My answer would be, it depends on the rider.

In the USAF I served as an on base MSF instructor and an assistant to the safety program in addition to my role with aircraft. In the safety program I was tasked with investigating member involved cycle accidents. By no means a trained EXPERT accident investigator, just observations from personal experience and my MSF training. In the vast majority of the cases I investigated it was the rider directly at fault due to excessive speed, their physical condition tired/drugs/alcohol, or just plain reckless behavior prior to the impact. With a few caused by a lack of experience/control (those ditching the mandatory MSF course). You know, the long black streak up to the point of impact from the rear brake only, because Dad said thats the only brake you need!!

In my case I would share the two times I did NOT have an head on collision on a narrow two lane road BECAUSE I was on a bike and not in a car. Both times I anticipated someone making a blind pass in a very bad area, I positioned the bike to avoid it - and then it happened just as I predicted. Had I been driving a car it would have been unavoidable, due to the narrow road with near landscape or in a tunnel. That happened once in Germany and Cinco de Mayo morning 2022 on the way to work. Both times it was so close I nearly soiled my underwear, and in one event, my leathers have a permanent scar from where the antenna hit and broke off on my arm when I gave the driver in my lane the finger - I wasn't sure I would clear him straddling the line and wall on the side of the road so it was a last act of defiance thing. Stupid, but I was outrages that a-hole was willing to kill me to make is pass in a long line of cars in narrow tunnel - around a corner!!!

I would end with, I have been riding on the street since 1977 and I have NEVER BEEN DOWN on a bike. But as a pilot and a motorcycle rider I treat everyone else in the air or on the roads like they are a complete idiot and will do the worst possible thing, at the worst possible time! It's amazing how often they prove me right and I survive. So long as that new rider learns to fully control their bike, wears appropriate protective gear, keeps the bike in good working order, follows the rules of the road, remains a "heads up rider" by continually practicing solid street survival tactics they will be fine - probably safer than most lazy and disconnected car drivers.

My answer would be, it depends on the rider.

In the USAF I served as an on base MSF instructor and an assistant to the safety program in addition to my role with aircraft. In the safety program I was tasked with investigating member involved cycle accidents. By no means a trained EXPERT accident investigator, just observations from personal experience and my MSF training. In the vast majority of the cases I investigated it was the rider directly at fault due to excessive speed, their physical condition tired/drugs/alcohol, or just plain reckless behavior prior to the impact. With a few caused by a lack of experience/control (those ditching the mandatory MSF course). You know, the long black streak up to the point of impact from the rear brake only, because Dad said thats the only brake you need!!

In my case I would share the two times I did NOT have an head on collision on a narrow two lane road BECAUSE I was on a bike and not in a car. Both times I anticipated someone making a blind pass in a very bad area, I positioned the bike to avoid it - and then it happened just as I predicted. Had I been driving a car it would have been unavoidable, due to the narrow road with near landscape or in a tunnel. That happened once in Germany and Cinco de Mayo morning 2022 on the way to work. Both times it was so close I nearly soiled my underwear, and in one event, my leathers have a permanent scar from where the antenna hit and broke off on my arm when I gave the driver in my lane the finger - I wasn't sure I would clear him straddling the line and wall on the side of the road so it was a last act of defiance thing. Stupid, but I was outrages that a-hole was willing to kill me to make is pass in a long line of cars in narrow tunnel - around a corner!!!

I would end with, I have been riding on the street since 1977 and I have NEVER BEEN DOWN on a bike. But as a pilot and a motorcycle rider I treat everyone else in the air or on the roads like they are a complete idiot and will do the worst possible thing, at the worst possible time! It's amazing how often they prove me right and I survive. So long as that new rider learns to fully control their bike, wears appropriate protective gear, keeps the bike in good working order, follows the rules of the road, remains a "heads up rider" by continually practicing solid street survival tactics they will be fine - probably safer than most lazy and disconnected car drivers.
Excellent write up! Thanks so much for your service in the best branch (from a former SAC airman). My wife chastises me for expecting the worst from drivers…. But it can really keep one out of trouble. My favorite is the one with hazards on pull to the right shoulder on a limited access highway bridge (65 mph limit). I felt something amiss and slowed my bike down . She did a u-turn just as I got close and while cycling my brights to be seen. I had my front brake already at the point of engagement as well as the rear. This allowed me to slow quickly and veer right avoiding impact. It would have been a very different story if I assumed no problem and maintained speed.

Excellent write up! Thanks so much for your service in the best branch (from a former SAC airman). My wife chastises me for expecting the worst from drivers…. But it can really keep one out of trouble. My favorite is the one with hazards on pull to the right shoulder on a limited access highway bridge (65 mph limit). I felt something amiss and slowed my bike down . She did a u-turn just as I got close and while cycling my brights to be seen. I had my front brake already at the point of engagement as well as the rear. This allowed me to slow quickly and veer right avoiding impact. It would have been a very different story if I assumed no problem and maintained speed.
Flicking high beams on and off may be interpreted as an "all clear, proceed" by other road users.

While setting the stage to discuss risk during beginner rider classes I ask...
"By show of hands how many feel motorcycling can be safe?"
I typically see all hands up.
Then I quote the Merriam-Webster dictionary primary definition of the word "safe," and rephrase the question...
"By show of hands how many feel motorcycling can be free from harm or risk?"
Few to no hands go up. Many things we do are without risk, and all really we can do is manage/minimize risk.

1675167707946.png

Flicking high beams on and off may be interpreted as an "all clear, proceed" by other road users.
I always flash high beams especially for cars coming onto my roadway from the right. Have had multiple instances when this made me more visible and the car went from a rolling to hard stop as to not cut me off. I am going to default ti anything that helps me be seen.

People ask me questions like: "Is motorcycling safe?", "My son/daughter wants a motorcycle what should I do?", "My wife or husband wants to buy a motorcycle and I am worried they will get themselves killed, what should I do?"

My response to all these questions has been:

Wow! They ask you questions?

I just get statements.
-those things are dangerous
-donor cycles
-you will get yourself killed.
-I would never drive one of those

Everyone here probably has their own favorites and variations. At least with questions you get to join the conversation and present your views.

Why thank you sir! It's the truth and there is no substitute for heads up riding on a bike. It makes all the difference.

Take care and ride smart.