• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Isle of Man TT 2015

Bigfoot_16

The 2015 Isle of Man TT is on the Velocity cable channel this week. Yesterday they showed sidecar racing. These sidecars are about 2 1/2 feet tall and they don racing slicks. The guy in the sidecar has a very small platform on which to kneel/sit/lean, etc. These guys really fly through those streets. It's an amazing race to watch. It's on for a few more days, so set your DVR to record it!

They were saying that that side car rigs only have 20mm of suspension on the main wheels and none on the third wheel.  It must beat the crap out of you.

They had the electric bikes on last night.  They only do one lap because of range. Mugans were 1-2 with Victory (Bremmo) 3-4.  I wish Polaris had called them Indians.  Indian won the TT back in the 19 teens.

I've been watching the coverage all week, and recently turned one of my brothers onto it too.

This weekend we were together at a family party. While my brother and I spent time talking about all the races, our wives spent the same amount of time complaining about how annoying it was to have to be around us while we were watching the races.  :)

My favorite story has been Ian Hutchinson. 5 years ago, there was a better-than-average chance they were going to have to amputate his left leg after a horrible British Superbike race at Silverstone. Fast-forward to the present, and he wins multiple IOMTT races...on a bike that's been modified for right-side shifting and with a thumb-controlled rear brake. That's a  :great: x 1000

It has been a blast to watch Ian race. Maybe it was the 2nd race he won, but right toward the end he went a bit wide on a left hand sweeper and got his rear tire into the grass. It's amazing he kept the bike upright and went on to win that race.

Too bad because of McDonald's crash that kept him out of contention. Bruce Anstey has also been fun to watch.

Great news about Ian  :great:

Not for the faint of heart for sure.

Hope Guy gets his first win this year - he is overdue.

ANZAC said:
Great news about Ian  :great:

Not for the faint of heart for sure.

Hope Guy gets his first win this year - he is overdue.

If he would win, he could use some of the prize money to take diction lessons.

I swear I only catch about every fourth word out of his mouth.

Guy Martin is one of a kind.  Trying to understand him while he talks is almost impossible.  Seems like the type of guy you could easily relate to and have a beer with.

That seems to be normal Queens English.  Just because we speak American it sounds funny.  He talks slow for a Brit. :)

Hi,
        Having been to England and Scotland a few times, rest assured we sound "funny" to them!!! ;D

Attachments

• 9b470dace86e799cfe86214e75271cea.jpg
    9b470dace86e799cfe86214e75271cea.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 127
I am sure we do, hell. Get told all the time I sound like a Okie,lived in Calif my whole life, born. In Texas but don't know how I can sound like a Okie.

FTB530 said:
I am sure we do, hell. Get told all the time I sound like a Okie,lived in Calif my whole life, born. In Texas but don't know how I can sound like a Okie.

I live in San Jose and the old timers who have ranches up in the Diablo Mtns just east of us have a southern, almost Texas drawl. So maybe to Texas folks you sound "different" and all they know that's different is Okie.

:))

IronButtAl said:
I like speed, and bumping against the rev limiter. Do you? Seriously good watch here.
Here's Guy Martin going against Michael Dunlop for 17+ minutes around the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

Hi,
      That has to be the most dangerous motorcycle ride in the world! :-[

500 year old stone walls, and houses,  right next to the road? :(

I mean if you go in to hot on a curve and lose it ,your not getting some hay bales and 50 yds to come to a stop! ;D

This vid sort of brought that home for me! Thanks! :great:

Attachments

• b1f1e6f9fd6bc59562bbbfcddb29e550.jpg
    b1f1e6f9fd6bc59562bbbfcddb29e550.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 117
Bigfoot_16 said:
Greg, if you think that's fun, you've got to see the sidecar racing. Wow!

Hi,
        Well...Like I said before, it slowly seeped in, this has to be probably the most dangerous thing you can do on a motorcycle! :-[

I never get tired of watching these guys/gals, running this course! ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_nz42z7aaQ81u60527o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nz42z7aaQ81u60527o1_500.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 115
Anyone catch the Real Roadracing series that's been on CBSSN (CBS Sports Network) over the last couple of months? It looks like they're mixing the danger of IOMTT (real roads, limited safety barriers, etc.) with traditional track racing (group starts, head to head racing). I've watched a few races, like the IOM Southern 100. Not bad, coverage is decent, and some new names make it interesting.

I currently have 7-8 saved on my TiVO for when I really start jonesing for race coverage, come Jan/Feb.

The Isle Of Man TT is the most incredible experience. If you ever thought you would like to go, don't hesitate and just GO! It is considered one of the best motor racing (not just motorcycle racing) experiences in the world and I would agree. I was lucky enough to attend the TT in 2013 and to the Manx GP / Classic TT in 2014. Here is a post from about a year ago on the experience: 
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=51954.msg425960#msg425960
I would agree that I really enjoyed the side cars as well. We don't get much exposure to them in the USA.  The ones raced on the IOM are 600cc bikes and not even the F1 series! F1's are much bigger and probably very hard to pass on these narrow roads. the 600's run flat out much of the time!

Here is a video to the Classic Races in 2014 to give you a spectators perspective. TT is MUCH faster!

https://vimeo.com/150559320

bajakirch said:
Anyone catch the Real Roadracing series that's been on CBSSN (CBS Sports Network) over the last couple of months? It looks like they're mixing the danger of IOMTT (real roads, limited safety barriers, etc.) with traditional track racing (group starts, head to head racing). I've watched a few races, like the IOM Southern 100. Not bad, coverage is decent, and some new names make it interesting.

I currently have 7-8 saved on my TiVO for when I really start jonesing for race coverage, come Jan/Feb.

Need to find this online - I cut the cord long ago. If you ever see this up somewhere without needing a cable subscription please advise :great:

6thwisconsin said:
The Isle Of Man TT is the most incredible experience. If you ever thought you would like to go, don't hesitate and just GO! It is considered one of the best motor racing (not just motorcycle racing) experiences in the world and I would agree. I was lucky enough to attend the TT in 2013 and to the Manx GP / Classic TT in 2014. Here is a post from about a year ago on the experience: 
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=51954.msg425960#msg425960
I would agree that I really enjoyed the side cars as well. We don't get much exposure to them in the USA.  The ones raced on the IOM are 600cc bikes and not even the F1 series! F1's are much bigger and probably very hard to pass on these narrow roads. the 600's run flat out much of the time!

Here is a video to the Classic Races in 2014 to give you a spectators perspective. TT is MUCH faster!

https://vimeo.com/150559320

The side car races at Barber Vintage are fun to watch if a bit slow. Would love to see them at high speed on that narrow course

bajakirch said:
I've been watching the coverage all week, and recently turned one of my brothers onto it too.

This weekend we were together at a family party. While my brother and I spent time talking about all the races, our wives spent the same amount of time complaining about how annoying it was to have to be around us while we were watching the races.  :)

My favorite story has been Ian Hutchinson. 5 years ago, there was a better-than-average chance they were going to have to amputate his left leg after a horrible British Superbike race at Silverstone. Fast-forward to the present, and he wins multiple IOMTT races...on a bike that's been modified for right-side shifting and with a thumb-controlled rear brake. That's a  :great: x 1000

One of the British magazines showed his rehab process as well as before and after  photos of his leg.  There are a few photos here that show just a tiny bit of what he went through.

http://ericsdailydiary.blogspot.com/2012/11/ian-hutchinson-closer-to-edge.html