• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

It's Speed Week!

krumgrinder

Street Cruiser
Here I sit in Salt Lake City (for work), 2 hours east of the Bonneville Salt Flats- and I just thought, 'hmmmm... shouldn't speed week be coming up soon?'

I'M AN IDIOT!  I fly back to Columbus Sunday morning just as the action will be spinning up; might see if I can change my flight and squeeze in a drive-by just so I can say I've been there.  For those interested, below is a link to the official site; let's try to keep up on the action in this thread!

http://saltflats.com/

Gotta watch 'Worlds Fastest Indian' again now...  ;D

I have wanted to go to Speed Week ever since a guy I know named Steve Hamel busted Rollie Free's record on his Vincent in 06. Hope you make it over there to check things out :motonoises:

2Fast said:
I have wanted to go to Speed Week ever since a guy I know named Steve Hamel busted Rollie Free's record on his Vincent in 06. Hope you make it over there to check things out :motonoises:

Hey Brian, maybe we'll make it a road trip out there some day, eh?  If we can ever get Uncle Sam to let Peter back over the border I know he'd be up for it too.  ;D

Sounds good to me! Especially if Peter would take a run on the concours down the flats :motonoises:

I have actually run Connie flat out at the Gimli airport (north of Winnipeg) on my way up to Yellowknife a few years back.

This was the site of the famous "Gimli Glider" incident in which an Air Canada 767 ran out of fuel due to a metric mixup.  The only place they could glide to was Gimli, however, there was a drag race (or something) happening at the same time.  Suffice it to say that they cleared the track and that great monster glided to a safe landing. Air Crash Investigation Air Canada Flight 143 Gimli Glider Part 1

To pay homage to the pilots I decided to ride up to the airport and check it out.  The gate was open and there was nobody around, so...

p.s. If I did the Flats I would do it in true Rollie Free style - a thong and a cigarette.  Maybe a Connie tattoo.

pps. great story about the Brough.  Here's possibly the most famous photo of the bike, builder and celebrity rider.

Brough_motorcycles_photo_B.jpg