• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I've lost all key fobs. Help!

Olds7268

My car caught on fire and both of my fobs were destroyed. I have went through the forums and just gotten more confused. Can I buy a new immobilizer (credit card type key) and have only it programmed to start the bike or is the only option to replace the kipass ecu with new fobs? Its getting to be bike riding time and I'm stuck in the water. I don't have the resources to spend a thousand bucks to get my bike going and I have health problems that are limiting how much more time I will be able to ride. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Really sorry to hear that, and I'm very sad to give you more bad news. Unfortunately, without having at least one fob the bike will need a NEW KiPass ECU. An existing fob is required to be able to add new fobs to the KiPASS ECU.

My car caught on fire and both of my fobs were destroyed. I have went through the forums and just gotten more confused. Can I buy a new immobilizer (credit card type key) and have only it programmed to start the bike or is the only option to replace the kipass ecu with new fobs? Its getting to be bike riding time and I'm stuck in the water. I don't have the resources to spend a thousand bucks to get my bike going and I have health problems that are limiting how much more time I will be able to ride. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Olds this is a pickle.

Auto insurance from fire possibly cover?

Where are the FOBs now? Can you retrieve the chips?
If so, they may work well enough to program replacement FOBs.

Sorry to hear about you troubles. I saw this "service" on EBAY:

I have no experience with this seller, but it might be worth some emails to see if this is a route you might consider.

That's been referenced previously. They probly use the same method as Carmousa in USA and Ostan in Australia tho they need only the ign lock assembly and return it with a chipped key that will get the bike going. The owner then gets a new fob programmed by a dealer.

That's been referenced previously. They probly use the same method as Carmousa in USA and Ostan in Australia tho they need only the ign lock assembly and return it with a chipped key that will get the bike going. The owner then gets a new fob programmed by a dealer.
You are correct Sir (serves me right to post early in the morning) Man of Blues did indeed explain this in detail back in 2019. To the OP, I retract my suggestion - good luck.

I know this is after the fact and is of no help now, but FOB owners may want to consider a strategy to prevent this sort of disaster.

I keep my FOBs in separate storage locations in fire proof boxes when not in use.
After reading this, I now do the same with my spare vehicle FOB keys, USB thumb drives, etc.

I feel for your loss.

I have a $500 deductible and my insurance would go up considerably if I made a claim on it so I don't think it is worth turning a claim in unless I absolutely had to.
Not really, it would be comprehensive.

I get paid tomorrow. Thumbs crossed it's still available. I did notice it doesn't come with the ignition switch, will I be able to use mine with these parts? I do still have the "stovepipe" key.

You really only need the module and a fob. From everything i have read. Your keys will still working in your locks. If offered thru Ebay, buy the warranty, if possible.

Correct^ The ign lock is the first thing to be registered to into KIPASS. The KDS operator just needs to follow the instructios exactly.

I see there is the FOB everyone, what about the emergency key? The key shown is the key that slides up into the FOB I believe and not the emergency key you can place alongside the ignition of your FOB bites it??

The FOB will still work even after its battery is dead. The first thing I did when I got my bike was to take out the battery from the FOB and see if I could start the engine. I suggest everyone try it at least once, just in case.

The FOB will still work even after its battery is dead. The first thing I did when I got my bike was to take out the battery from the FOB and see if I could start the engine. I suggest everyone try it at least once, just in case.
Great suggestion re: "take out the battery from the FOB and see if I csn start the engine." Putting this on my To-Do list. Thanks!

U can get the keys for the main fob AND the emergency fob on line, or at the stealership, and have them cut for ur locks. Youll have to use the stove key as the master. Those keys come in handy to filling gas tank, and opening ur bags. Some of us have made seperate keys using cut blanks, epoxied to radio knobs. Much easier than taking out the key from either fob or using the stove key...

U can get the keys for the main fob AND the emergency fob on line, or at the stealership, and have them cut for ur locks. Youll have to use the stove key as the master. Those keys come in handy to filling gas tank, and opening ur bags. Some of us have made seperate keys using cut blanks, epoxied to radio knobs. Much easier than taking out the key from either fob or using the stove key...
The parts I ended up with came with the seat lock and gas cap and the key in the fob works for them. I'll have one made for my bags off of the stove pipe key.

Glad you recovered - did you get er’ fired up yet with new ECM?

Curious - do you recall your C-14’s mileage? I am not aware if the vehicles ECM is where the mileage is stored.

Glad you recovered - did you get er’ fired up yet with new ECM?

Curious - do you recall your C-14’s mileage? I am not aware if the vehicles ECM is where the mileage is stored.
Just searched / read mileage is actually stored within the instrument cluster...