• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Jim Pavlis

OMoaC

It is my sad duty to inform the COG community that we have lost a long time member Jim Pavlis. I've just rec'd an email from his nephew that Jim passed on Oct 29 of natural causes. My personal memories of Jim during the relatively short time I knew him are these. When I took over as SWAD he was a tremendous help in setting up the 1st Regional Rally in Cedar City UT. Guiding this newb on what to do and when. He also was a tremendous help in all other upcoming events including the National in Cortez. Jim could be a huge pain in the ace sometimes but his passion for this club and helping other members is something that is very hard to match. God Speed Jim. You shall be fondly remembered.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD

Thank you for sharing Mark. That is incredibly sad and explains why I hadn't heard back from him after we got the last part of his Europe ride story in the magazine.

I went on several local rides and outings with Jim. He was an opinionated SOB, but he was also the first guy to offer a hand with technical problems and once even offered to jump on his bike and ride to my work after he heard I was having an issue getting my C10 started.

Another time, when he heard that I'd been in a crash, he rode to the hospital to give my bike the once-over (it was in the parking lot where I had the tow truck driver deposit us) and he gave me his honest assessment of the damage. That kind of help was super valuable because I was laid up at home.

He also showed his generosity every time we rode because he'd have to stop and wait for me to catch up. He never complained or looked at his watch -- and I never tried overly hard to catch him.

Ride on Jim. We'll see you at the next stop.

This is indeed very sad news.  :( Met Jim at Cortez and noticed his avid photography skills.

Jim was a little crusty, but loved COG and fellow COGGERS.

Will miss his posts, which reminded us all to stop and think sometimes.

Ride free Jim,

Craig

Man.....  Jim was a lot of help with making "My Connie".
He will truly be missed. 

Condolences to his Family and friends. 

COG Nation.

I have been blessed to meet and know Jim since 2000 when we meet for the first time at the COG National Rally in Brian Head, Utah. I always enjoyed our conversation about motorcycles, COG and life when our paths crossed over the years. You will be be missed Jim, RIP my motorcycle friend!!!!!

I'm truly in tears as I write this. I swapped out my front brake rotors today, and when I posted about them during the summer this is the e-mail I received.

Hey Brent - saw your post about needing rotors. Need help? I have the tools and could come up, it would only take two hours or so.

BTW, you really need to measure the rotor thickness with a micrometer caliper, the one that looks like a miniature horseshoe - not a vernier caliper, the one that looks like a slide rule. Harbor Freight has them cheap. And min thickness is stamped on the rotor carrier near the mounting bolts.

Let me know.
Jim P.

Jim had helped me on more than one occasion. He also attending at least two of my COG organized rides. He as a great man, was always willing to ride 100 miles to help a guy out. We have lost a great man.

I found the only picture I had of Jim from a ride many years ago.
Shown here on the right.
He was a great rider, a great man.
I'm pretty torn up as I just finished my rotor swap which he offered to help on.

RIP Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 136
Very sad to see this. I never did meet Jim personally, though we spoke extensively while I was on my trip this past summer. We tried our best to meet up and ride together, but couldn't sync up the times. He even offer a place to stay for the night.
He was also following my trip progress linked to my SPOT tracker. He noticed that I had made a couple consecutive  stops at auto parts stores and then a tire store. He was quick to offer he repair services to me. 
Rest on peace Jim.

RIP Jim. I will miss chatting and riding with you. Will miss the "discussions" too. Keep a bike ready for me and someday we'll ride and "discuss" again. The world is a poorer place without you.

Wow! This is hard news to hear. 
For as difficult as he liked to be sometimes, (yes, he enjoyed irritating some of us) he was a gem of a guy.  He did a lot for a lot of folks and was always eager to help the little guy. 
Godspeed indeed my friend.  May the wind always be at your back.

I had health issues a few years back and could not ride my bike back to Vancouver from SF. I put it out there that if someone wanted to ride it back here I would pay expenses. Jim rode it all the way here. He tried to pay for some things as well but I wouldn't let him. He was a bit rough around the edges but all in all, a stand up guy. He did know a lot about bike mechanics and was a heck of a rider!

I met Jim on a Sacramento COGgers day ride to Mt. Diablo this spring. My first trip with the Sac crew - Jim went out of his way to make me feel welcome.  We got a chance to talk at breakfast and at the Mt. Diablo view point. Bikes, riding, photography and more, in a short period of time. He was a smart, knowledgeable man with a generous streak.

We stood and watched the hang-gliders dance in the sky actually below us.

We had a recent email conversation about making web videos, he was gonna help me make mine not suck - just cause he knew how, wanted to share info and was a good guy. My loss to not get to spend that time with him.

My condolences to all his other friends and family.

RIP Jim.

_mg_2645.jpg

_mg_2596.jpg

Some people are just more than they have to be,Jim was.He came up and did(let me watch) the valves on Arragon,which allayed my fears and now I have done 3 other engines valves.As stated above him and I had further business(on my side) to help another rider in need of parts. If anyone knows this person(looking to get clutch lever and right antler) for Jim they are on the house.Strong arms,best wishes to his family and cloud rippled skyways for Jim.  Jerry Gaither

Its so strange, anymore.  I could have bumped into him, walking, and not known who he was, yet he was my friend because of the words here, and the various PM's we exchanged.

Im sorry hes gone, and I hope where hes at they provide free bikes, with new tires and perfect pavement.

Jim's final post treated us all to a great video of his ride.  He will be missed.

JPavlis_CA said:
I had to go up to Tracy a week ago, and rather than riding the slab, I decided to take the back roads and made a short video of the Patterson Pass section from I-580 down to the east side of Livermore. The road is an old county farm road, so it's not well maintained and pretty rough, as you can tell from the workout the front end gets, and has some poor sight lines, but it's a fun blast. Only about 11 miles so it's a short vid.

It looks best in full screen 1080P - that way you can see the speedo and tach clearly. No music, just engine and tranny sounds from the remote mic. The fun starts about the 2 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRfp_WYgi8

Adios, Jim. Ride well, ride fast and ride far! Thanks for all the information and advice you've provided through the years.

Very sad news.  I met Jim for the first time at the Centralia national in '05, after trading barbs online a few times.  Really enjoyed talking with him in person, a more gentle soul than the rough presentation might indicate.

It was actually kind of nice to come back here to the forum a few months ago, and see Jim still stirring up the dust.  ;D

My friend, you will be missed.

WOW!
Like Mr.Pepsi when I was doing my brakes and was having some "issues", Jim Pavlis was one of the first ones to respond to help via the internet. After a few others chimed in and discovered what I had done wrong, I corrected my mistake and posted an apology for taking up others time for my mistake. Jim wrote and was very encouraging noting that I wasn't the first to make the mistake and besides " look at all the information you've provided so that others won't make the same mistake!"
I never met Jim personally, but from my limited contacts he was a good guy in my book.

RIP, Jim Pavlis, I hope we meet on a good road with great weather.

Bob Young
COG #5753

After all the times Jim dinged me (and everybody else) on the Forums you'd think I'd be glad to see him gone.
  (Geez, he had some sharp arrows! {and he was a really good shot!}  :great:)

But I'm setting here almost in tears.  Got to know and like him over the years.

Jim, we're gonna miss ya Buddy.

See ya on the other side, Ted

Thanks, Mark

I got the email from his nephew too. We went to Europe together for our 50th birthday about a dozen years ago. I found these photos on my PC. We go back a long ways... I first met him in Avon Colorado at the "Ride The Rockies" National rally back in 1996. We've been riding together ever since.

RIP Jim

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

:'(

RIP Jim...I missed this thread as well...shocking news and very sad to hear...condolences to all who knew and loved Jim.