• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just about ready to roll,

dentropy1077

Greetings! My sister is moving to Georgia from California and I have the privilege of helping her with the drive along with her 2 elderly dogs. Of course this left me with how to get back? I decided to try a cheap bike challenge. With the budget I set I figured on a honda rebel or suzuki savage, well come to find there's a lot of value to be had with a Concours! It is 2 hours from my sister up in Tennessee and the seller has accepted the money and is graciously holding it for me. The plan as it is now is to get the bike to my sister's, fix a sticky rear caliper, change oil and get used to riding a bike again before heading back west.

My first motorcycle crush was when I was 12 or 14 years old, a pair of Kawi 900s on top of some slot machines at Circus Circus, so pretty, and of the bikes I've had the one I had longest was an 86 Ninja 600. So I appreciate this machine and the adventure begins soon!
Cheers!
Dennis

Welcome! Any other information on the bike? Be careful on the drive out and ride back.

Thanks for the welcome! The bike is a 2000 with 60k on the clock. Only reported problem is a sticking rear caliper from sitting a few months and the pads have been removed. Glad you asked cause I'd forgot to pack a c-clamp for the piston.

The seller is a member here and referred me to this community.
Nice little corner of the internet you have here,

After you spend time riding in GA and all the cool roads down there , You will NOT want to go back to CA .

Sounds like the star of a GREAT adventure... (y)(y)

Be careful when you push the piston in. The area around them needs to be very clean with no corrosion on the piston. If you force dirt or corrosion in with the piston it will bind and not release from the disc. The only thing that pulls the piston back is the deflection of the outer seal.

Have a great ride

Thanks for that information, I brought a nice scotch brite and will pick up some brake cleaner.

It's amazing that I get to do the shakedown on those roads, and fried chicken!

North west Georgia, gonna try to help my sister a bit then perhaps Nashville, Graceland, if not now, when? I'm in a cheap motel in nebraska right now, so I'll just kind of point and sorry my way home

You'll have to let us know how your trip went. I hope the weather was good for you. And Welcome to the forum. Lots of People know about C10's.

Thanks for the bump Tim, I am home safe and sound with an intact Concours! The caliper rebuild went well, the kit was All Balls I believe and was necessary as the seal was pretty smushed, I don't think I was the first one in there. Scotchbrite and brake cleaner cleaned up the piston well. Other little bits were a new headlight and cleaning and tightening the front brake light switch terminals. Also had an unfortunate drop at a stop sign, camber, hill gravel blah blah, shamed:mad:. Broke the right footpeg and got to ride home with a 100mm bolt for a footpeg. I see I am not the only one as the ebay product I bought showed a 147 sold.

The roads of Nor'Georgia are beautiful and the people a delight. Having a motorcycle there was as good as having a puppy for striking up conversation with strangers! Everybody liked to talk about present and past motorcycles. It was so great having extended time with my sister that I stalled leaving until I finally had to duck out between 2 storms to get to Memphis where I treated myself to 3 nights at the Peabody Hotel. Got a sweet room upgrade and good oysters across the street. Graceland was cool. Got some Bates boots at the pyramid Bass Pro Shop
. Then had to blaze to get home so my family could stick me in the basement until I showed a negative covid test.

The bike is strong, the fairing is the best I've experienced. Awesome bike, but, the forks. 60k miles so they deserve to be worn but I was rarely relaxed. Did not like grooves and potholes and ridges between lanes in construction areas. Or maybe after near 20 years of not riding I've lost skill or am not as good as I thought I was? We'll see as the forks are apart and I am rebuilding them with the knockoff emulators discussed on this forum. Currently waiting on fork seals, the first set I ordered were too big.

It was comforting to know on this trip that there was a helpful knowledge base here were I to need it. Thank You!

Glad it went well for you. Much braver than I am with a buy unseen. Once back on home ground, check out what you area is doing and join them when something interesting shows up. Here you will find the real COG. I have never regretted attending a COG rally or event. Plus it gives you an idea what others have done to their bike.

Thanks for the bump Tim, I am home safe and sound with an intact Concours! The caliper rebuild went well, the kit was All Balls I believe and was necessary as the seal was pretty smushed, I don't think I was the first one in there. Scotchbrite and brake cleaner cleaned up the piston well. Other little bits were a new headlight and cleaning and tightening the front brake light switch terminals. Also had an unfortunate drop at a stop sign, camber, hill gravel blah blah, shamed:mad:. Broke the right footpeg and got to ride home with a 100mm bolt for a footpeg. I see I am not the only one as the ebay product I bought showed a 147 sold.

The roads of Nor'Georgia are beautiful and the people a delight. Having a motorcycle there was as good as having a puppy for striking up conversation with strangers! Everybody liked to talk about present and past motorcycles. It was so great having extended time with my sister that I stalled leaving until I finally had to duck out between 2 storms to get to Memphis where I treated myself to 3 nights at the Peabody Hotel. Got a sweet room upgrade and good oysters across the street. Graceland was cool. Got some Bates boots at the pyramid Bass Pro Shop
. Then had to blaze to get home so my family could stick me in the basement until I showed a negative covid test.

The bike is strong, the fairing is the best I've experienced. Awesome bike, but, the forks. 60k miles so they deserve to be worn but I was rarely relaxed. Did not like grooves and potholes and ridges between lanes in construction areas. Or maybe after near 20 years of not riding I've lost skill or am not as good as I thought I was? We'll see as the forks are apart and I am rebuilding them with the knockoff emulators discussed on this forum. Currently waiting on fork seals, the first set I ordered were too big.

It was comforting to know on this trip that there was a helpful knowledge base here were I to need it. Thank You!

Read this and save the footpeg if there's another drop sometime .
Thread 'Grinding down pointy cams on C10 footpegs' https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/grinding-down-pointy-cams-on-c10-footpegs.50708/

Where are you in Calif? We may have some COGgers near you.
On the fork rebuild, did you drill the emulators and damper tubes?
Also, while there, remove some material from the spring (and add a PVC spacer) to make it stiffer.
Will help a LOT with the potholes etc..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
...and check the triple tree nut. Buke will develope a shake as the nut loosens or bearing wear out. Theres some threads on fork bolt torque...