• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just checking in here

faser422769

Hello and greetings all, lotsa new for me, even at 59, just picked up a ‘21 Connie from the cool folks at Malcom Smith Motorsport in Riverside Ca, just moved to Coachella Valley Desert area from the SF Bay, two big moves lol, didn’t wanna be neglectful of introducing myself. 😊

Last edited:
Faser welcome to the forum / group! She’s a sweetheart of a ride, even knowing new suggest a flash right away to get her right.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks all, just learning how to navigate here, edit: but for now just because……testing…..

Attachments

• 46631CCD-A6D6-454B-8DE0-69AB842FC378.jpeg
    46631CCD-A6D6-454B-8DE0-69AB842FC378.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Faser welcome to the forum / group! She’s a sweetheart of a ride, even knowing new suggest a flash right away to get her right.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Yes sir! Prior experience tells me Ivan’s but I’m open to suggestions, may go local this time must research👍

sorted my photo issue now just hafta figure out why I’m not faser41 here, snafu on my part again no doubt…..newbies…buy a kid books and send ‘em to school…..😊🤣

Thanks all, just learning how to navigate here, edit: but for now just because……testing…..

Those FZ1s are pretty quick. A buddy of mine has one and he was able to run with me neck-and-neck, even with my MSF and BW slip-on. He bought it used and it came with an ECU flash and a K&N air filter (and likely other unknown upgrades like gears) and had me winding my 1352cc engine out to 10.5k RPM to just pull at the same rate as he was. If my ECU had been stock he would have easily pulled away on me.

The 1000cc bikes are NOT slow by any stretch. I still remember the massive torque my ZX10 had once it got past 6k RPM. Wound up to 13k RPM easily (and often) without much stress. Seemed to be the sweet spot of those motors. The only downside, according to JP is that without a fairing he gets beaten up a lot around the triple-digit speeds.

I'm wondering if going with an aftermarket header will get me back those lost 5-10 HP in the 4k-6k RPM range. In any case, I love my '21 C14 and enjoy it more after adding the risers and other creature comfort farkles.

Congrats on both bikes. They are beautiful machines. AB

Hi Phaser,

Small world! I live in the same desert, you're just a bit farther south on the 10 freeway and a bit farther inland. I am in the High Desert (Hesperia) near Victorville off the 15 freeway on the way to Vegas.

Were also peers, I'll be 60 in August and have been riding a bike in the desert since September 1986.

If you are not accustomed to desert riding the best advice I can give you is, stay hydrated. Even warm water is better than no water so always bring a two liter bottle in all that wonderful storage a Connie offers. The breeze and dryness will wick the moisture out of you faster than you will believe, and it hits fast and can be fatal on a bike due to the sudden dizziness that comes with it. I always wear full gear, or I don't go, which protects you from the sun, but is a tad warm on hot days. Hope you have a light colored helmet too because the sun will bake your brain with a dark helmet no matter how good the ventilation. Over the years I have owned Shoei, Bell, Arai, et. al. and it makes no difference. The dark ones get so hot they are hard to touch when it is 110 plus out and your head is in that oven. Strong statement I know, but its 100% true. 1988 to 1992 I was an MSF instructor at George AFB and Fort Irwin. We covered desert gear in the class and they showed up in their black leather jackets, chaps and black helmets. And more than few times we had to call EMTs because riders would pass out while riding on the range. So this is a little friendly advice based on my experience, and just advice. Do what works for you.

Sand is another issue, even more so where you live. In the afternoons the winds kick up and it blows quite a bit of sand on or across the roads. You probably will not see it, but your tires will. Those turns and hard stops can become very exciting when the wind is blowing around the sand. Watch out for it. I saw a guy at a gas station a couple weeks back riding from Denver to Los Angeles. I could not help but notice his sand blasted windshield and paint on the front of his bike. He said he was on his first long trip with his new Gold wing, he rode into a few clouds of sand blowing across the road after Vegas and before he knew what happened, everything was severely sand blasted. I said, yep, sand and 70 MPH will definitely do that. Then though to myself, and I bet that will cost quite a bit to fix on a new Goldwing DCT. When you see those dust storms, slow down, or pull to the side of the road so you can slow down and not get run over while passing thought it.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out to me anytime for help or a ride. I work in the mountains (Big Bear), and most of the time commute on my 2011 C-14. I know the mountain roads well and can show you a few great rides that will give you a break from the heat in the low desert.

Take care,
Jon

Hi Phaser,

Small world! I live in the same desert, you're just a bit farther south on the 10 freeway and a bit farther inland. I am in the High Desert (Hesperia) near Victorville off the 15 freeway on the way to Vegas.

Were also peers, I'll be 60 in August and have been riding a bike in the desert since September 1986.

If you are not accustomed to desert riding the best advice I can give you is, stay hydrated. Even warm water is better than no water so always bring a two liter bottle in all that wonderful storage a Connie offers. The breeze and dryness will wick the moisture out of you faster than you will believe, and it hits fast and can be fatal on a bike due to the sudden dizziness that comes with it. I always wear full gear, or I don't go, which protects you from the sun, but is a tad warm on hot days. Hope you have a light colored helmet too because the sun will bake your brain with a dark helmet no matter how good the ventilation. Over the years I have owned Shoei, Bell, Arai, et. al. and it makes no difference. The dark ones get so hot they are hard to touch when it is 110 plus out and your head is in that oven. Strong statement I know, but its 100% true. 1988 to 1992 I was an MSF instructor at George AFB and Fort Irwin. We covered desert gear in the class and they showed up in their black leather jackets, chaps and black helmets. And more than few times we had to call EMTs because riders would pass out while riding on the range. So this is a little friendly advice based on my experience, and just advice. Do what works for you.

Sand is another issue, even more so where you live. In the afternoons the winds kick up and it blows quite a bit of sand on or across the roads. You probably will not see it, but your tires will. Those turns and hard stops can become very exciting when the wind is blowing around the sand. Watch out for it. I saw a guy at a gas station a couple weeks back riding from Denver to Los Angeles. I could not help but notice his sand blasted windshield and paint on the front of his bike. He said he was on his first long trip with his new Gold wing, he rode into a few clouds of sand blowing across the road after Vegas and before he knew what happened, everything was severely sand blasted. I said, yep, sand and 70 MPH will definitely do that. Then though to myself, and I bet that will cost quite a bit to fix on a new Goldwing DCT. When you see those dust storms, slow down, or pull to the side of the road so you can slow down and not get run over while passing thought it.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out to me anytime for help or a ride. I work in the mountains (Big Bear), and most of the time commute on my 2011 C-14. I know the mountain roads well and can show you a few great rides that will give you a break from the heat in the low desert.

Take care,
Jon
Jon Thankyou so much! This is an extremely awesome post and I appreciate it immensely! While I’m still acclimating I was able to get just one ride in here, on my Vfr, before I bought the Connie, rode Palms to Pines and loved it!😎 I’m gonna pm you my contact info. and sure do hope to get out soon on a ride, you lead sir! I have a cousin moved from Palmdale to Big Bear and would love to see her soon and am overdue for a ride. I’ve only ridden the Connie once and plan to ride it into Riverside tomorrow morning to pick up my tank bag I ordered. PM coming, then hafta reread your post, full of great advice, especially on the helmet and the dust storms….👍

Here is what is in the works for SWCOG. Ride the passes in Nor Cal (Awesome) , Springervile, Ride the 666 Awesome, Vet and Marine corps Bday (Awesome). Stay Tuned.
Roger that😎…..been layin low, still acclimating my ginger ass, but staying productive. Edit: must rotate 🤣. Am actually roughing in some power for lighting to sort my new digs….

Attachments

• 569DAEC3-C107-4A6C-AAD5-2013A9D3C613.jpeg
    569DAEC3-C107-4A6C-AAD5-2013A9D3C613.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 129
Welcome to the Southwest Faser! I live in the Orange county area and ride all over the place including near where you live and I am also your Area Director! I know that Malcolm Smith Motorsports spot off the 91 and Congratulations on your new bike!! We do have some rally's coming up and I hope you can come out and join us. Keep an eye on the calendar and Southwest group! Send me a message anytime for any help or support. :D :cool: (y)