• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just joined, recently purchased new to me 05 Concours

Been riding for 2 years now, started on a Ninja 400 and just added my 05 Concours to the stable. Never done any long rides before, but I am planning to travel to Arizona with some buddies! I would really like to get into motorcycle travel so any tips or advice would be appreciated.

More about the bike: It's an 05 with 22k miles on it. I've got service records and it doesn't leak or have any damage. The previous owner has installed some foamy grips and a throttle lock. I'm noticing the throttle is sticky and the throttle itself will hang and slowly go back to where its supposed to be, instead of snapping back like any other bike I've been on. I figure this could be due to the grips or throttle lock, going to look into it tomorrow. I was interested in a set of tip over bars but it seems like they are impossible to get your hands on. Wondering if there's any other general maintenance I should look at doing, especially before my first long trip?

Excited for where this bike could take me, here's a pic of me after loading it up:
IMG_3276.jpg

Welcome ! Plenty of info here for sure . Just keep in mind that you have an older bike and will probably need to do some general maintenance before heading out on long runs . New coolant hoses are a good start . Make sure the tires are not too old (even if the tread looks good) . Like you said , check that the throttle is not dragging on the grips or bar ends .

Howdy! Welcome! Lots of super experienced + knowledgeable folks here who don't mind helping.

Yeah, maybe it's just me but I'd change ALL the fluids just to "know before I go"... especially on long trips.
Concur with previous suggestion to validate that the tires are not old and showing any signs of cracking.
Ride it for a few weeks on progressively longer runs, and then decide if you want to tighten up the suspension some.
Make sure you add a tire repair kit and maybe a can of CO2 to your emergency breakdown pack.
Check the battery and connections (including the ground). Maybe add a tender to your trip pack.
If you haven't already done so, swap out that headlamp for an LED that gives you a LOT more lumens (or add running lights).
Make sure all the bolts and body screws/pins are snug and secured properly.
Check all your fuses, and toss a fuse kit in your pack as well.
Get ahold of a service guide/manual for the 2005 (series), and read it.

Other than that, have fun with it. Try not to pull too many wheelies or burn the rear tire off the rim. LOL

Cheers, AB

Welcome to the club! Looks a little nippy where you are. Where is home? The sticky throttle could just be needing adjustment of the cables. One is too tight. Living in a cooler climate, you'll appreciate the fairing A LOT. Put a wanted ad in the classified section for some fairing extensions. They make the already great wind protection even better. If you want to turn on the heater for cold weather riding, and you don't mind pulling the plastics, remove the heat shields inside the middle fairings. You'll want to put them back when the weather warms up.

Last edited:
As Bud stated there is a pull and push cable and the cables have to have a little slack between the two or they will bind. Grab the throttle and see if you have a bit of freeplay rotation before you feel the carbs being pulled open. If not report back and we can walk you through the adjustment process.
If you plan on taking the gas tank off for any maintence be sure to remove the fairing side panels just below the tank on both sides so the tank doesn't scratch them, nooby mistake that I missed.

This is my 99 when I got it with 25k in 2010. It now has 75k and I also have an 05 to go along with it.

The throttle should snap back. Help can be found here, but get yourself a service manual and research hydro lock.

Attachments

• P1040799.JPG
    P1040799.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 83
Welcome!
You’ll like it here.
Tons of tech support, good natured banter, the rally’s and rides are superb. These guys are pros.
I bought my 06 4 years ago. Love it.

I highly recommend buy a factory service manual

Go to the C10 classifieds and put in a “ want to buy” post for a manual.

I am located in SW Ohio.
Hope to see ya at a ride / rally.

Best Regards
Bob

Been riding for 2 years now, started on a Ninja 400 and just added my 05 Concours to the stable. Never done any long rides before, but I am planning to travel to Arizona with some buddies! I would really like to get into motorcycle travel so any tips or advice would be appreciated.

More about the bike: It's an 05 with 22k miles on it. I've got service records and it doesn't leak or have any damage. The previous owner has installed some foamy grips and a throttle lock. I'm noticing the throttle is sticky and the throttle itself will hang and slowly go back to where its supposed to be, instead of snapping back like any other bike I've been on. I figure this could be due to the grips or throttle lock, going to look into it tomorrow. I was interested in a set of tip over bars but it seems like they are impossible to get your hands on. Wondering if there's any other general maintenance I should look at doing, especially before my first long trip?

Excited for where this bike could take me, here's a pic of me after loading it up:
View attachment 32070

Get on YouTube and search for Shoodabeen Engineering / Steve Sefsick. He’s made several tech videos on the C10. Especially Carbs/ hydrolock are

My 99 is not a factory color. It is a repaint by a PO. I am not sure what paint was used, I think it might be from a mini cooper. The correct color for a 99 was a dark purple. It can still be found on some of the panel insides. I thought you would like that you were not the only person to pick up your new bike in a brown S10 pickup.