• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

K&N Air Filter Question

shredran

Hi everyone, I believe most of us who have k&n air filters are likely aware that they're supposedly reusable with a quick cleaning at each service interval. Do you all actually reuse them or do you buy a new one each time out of fear the quality just isn't the same post-washing? And also, how many of you change or reuse at the actual specified intervals versus making it last a bit longer.

Buy a new K&N every time???  The main purpose (to me) is to save money in the long term and stop sending things to the landfill and replacing it would defeat both.
If you look at the K&N website they recommend filter cleaning can be as high as 50,000 miles (under normal driving but what's normal really?) so I usually do mine once a year on all my vehicles.  I also have K&N filters in my 2 4-wheeled vehicles and also the cabin filter on 1 of them (the other doesn't have a cabin filter).  My older vehicle is a 2010 with almost 300,000 km on it, last cleaning the filter material looks fine but the rubber seal was breaking down.... contacted K&N and a new filter arrived at my door within the week at no charge.

um, yeah....why else would you spend $50 for a filter ur gonna throw away????  Myself, beginning of riding season and b4 any major multi-day adventures with my buddies.  This is as part of my normal oil/lube and filter changes...

Well of course I have a K&N on my Concours. I also have on in 2003 Ford Explorer. I install it in the vehicle the day I drove it home from the dealership. I now have 190,000 miles on the vehicle and I wash and re oil the filter every 50,000. Have not had any problems with it or the mass air flow sensor. And the engine does not use a drop of oil.    :great: