• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Katy Tx

Pepperonipete

Hello
I just bought a 2010 c14 from a customer of mine. I’ve been riding over 50 years and thought I was finished.I bought a bike from him 15 years ago and had to go change out some pool equipment last week and jokingly told my wife I’ll try not to buy another bike. I just sold mine 2 months ago.
Anyway he showed me the c14 that’s been in his shed for the last 4 years. He bought it new he said that it had 5500 miles when he parked it. It still looks new but hasn’t been started in the last 5 years. He gave me a price that I couldn’t refuse and I figured even in parts I could get my money back and the fact that I miss riding.
So I get the bike home empty the shellac out of the tank clean it replaced the fuel pump changed the oil and filter and put in a fresh battery
Now I try and start it and get the F1 warnings. I checked to see which error codes came up 12 14 23.
Engine turns over fine everything seems to function except the bike won’t start.
I pulled the battery out and made sure all the connections were clean and tight hoping but still won’t start
Any other ideas before I start to pull it apart to check those specific sensors?

Hi Pete, welcome
Sounds like it could be a good deal.  I have not had to look codes up but that would be a start.  After that spark, air and fuel.  My guess is the injectors still pulled in crud and clogged but that’s just a guess.  Good luck and ask over in the c14 area too.

Peperino, sorry but I'm also unsure what the codes indicate.
It's possible that the fuel pump or filter is stopped up too.

Someone should be along soon to tell ya about the codes.
If you need pump/filter, don't have to buy at Kawasaki price.
Both can be found on Ebay/other.
A search on the forum will help you find the better one to buy.

Ride safe, Ted

those codes are all "prevent start" scenarios, and all of the wires and connectors for the items live up under the airbox, where mice love to nest.. bt/dt  they will chew the insulation off the wires, as it it a "soy based" plastic... and nest there next to the throttle position sensor..  I'd start by examining that area, and also the area in the tail section of the bike, at the rea end under the seat, and brackets.. the second "favorite" nest spot..  Disconnect the battery now, and don't try to power anything up further until you are sure of the integrity of the wires...
The bike sat for 5 years, good/high possibility of chewed wires and nests..

also, follow those wires to the individual sensors, and unplug, and replug in each connector a couple times "to allow them to freshen up" the connection...

code 12 is Inlet Air pressure sensor, under the airbox. l/h side.
code 13 is Inlet Air Temperature, on the top of the airbox, left access cover.
code 14 is Water Temperature sensor, difficult to get to, on rear of throttle body, but harness can be seen and followed.
code 23 is the Exhaust Cam Position sensor, on the front of the engine, in the head, between the exhaust pipes.

all of these harness' run/live around the same area, thus could be compromised.

Thanks I have the service manual so I was able to find what the codes are.
And Sunday I pulled of the plastic to see where they were located and sure enough the mice had a big ol nest and had munched through a bunch of wires.
Now my next issue will probably be finding a wiring harness on eBay and figuring out how to get to it without having to drop the motor.I haven’t opened those two little covers under the tank yet but I imagine they must have left some room to get to the sensors and the harness.
I was surprised when I took off the tank that the engine has what looks like a helmet between the tank and the engine.
I guess I’m used to older bikes that  when you take off a tank all that’s there is the frame and the top of the engine.
If I’m overlooking something that will make it easier to get access to that part of the engine.id appreciate the help.

so, you have positively confirmed my "long distance/online diagnosis".. and I thank you for reportin this.. seems as of lately, many of my "thoughts" and recommendations, are not taken seriously.  You did due diligence,  :great: :great: :great:

now for the "fix" :great:

go to Autozone, or Advance Auto, and find a jar of "liquid electrical tape", it has a nice brush applicator, and when you find the "chewed sections" separate them all, and paint that coating on them all.. each single wire, 3 coats..  don't try to cut/splice them, likely just the insulation was compromised ( mice don't like to chew copper wire.. thank god.) then, take a roll of normal electrical tape, and begin cutting 2" strips, and sticking them to the side of the airbox, for handy usage.., when the wire "coating" is dry, do a tight "wrap" on each wire... and spread them all out..  then, after that, re-group them, and wrap them in the same "tape sequence".. and you should be good.. I have done this numerous times, and can say it works fine, and will be safe.. you don't need a new "wire harness", it would terrify you to try to replace it correctly.. just saying.. simple. efficient. repair, is good. best of luck, and p/m me if further needed advice is required.

I have sympathy, as when I had the "nest" next to my throttle position sensor, deep back in that "hole" I was a bit pizzed.. but, I went forward, and used the procedure, with limited hand room, to cure the issue.. it's a true p.i.t.a., but take a deep breath, and jump in, and you can rise above it.. I surely wasn't gonna disassemble my throttle bodies, and all the other stuff, just to fix a dozen chewed wires.. also, if you found that nest, check the other area I noted.. under seat, rear, inside til section.. had a big nest there also, ended up "fixing" 10+ wire there, same scenario.. get them ll fixed before re-applying power from the battery.. (side note, the system is VERY robust, and mega shorts and stuff, like this, seem to be moot, and when repaired, all is good again..)  best of luck, be dilligent in the process, and hope to hear of "happy things" at the end..

I just want to take a moment, as a person that has seen more "problems", and went thru the procedures, to "cure them", for people, for free.. that everyone that has problems like this... understands if you had it, it most likely was discovered prior, and by due diligence of people willing to share this knowledge.. WE make a statement, and continue to assist.. I don't think you will find this Kind of help.. anywhere else.. anywhere.. any web "site".  When those of us that do this, go a different route, or just stop.. the end of this sharing will be apparent. carry the tradition, and share what you have been given.
Ride safe,

Best of luck Pete.

Let us know when you get into it.
If you need some moral support, I'm on the North side of Houston.
May be able to come over and help. {stupid Virus and stay in place orders}
Haven't been under the plastics of a C-14 to any extent, but another set of eyes may help.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks man of blues,I will follow your instructions and that seems the most logical
I’ll just take a deep breath and dig in.
Also thanks for the offer Ted.
And thanks to all the advise you all have offered.Il keep you updated.

Just wanted 2 say that this forum and the people in it are just awesome. Wish the whole world was more like that. Pepperoni being a brand new member and not only had the problem diagnosed by one memeber~~~~Man of Blues~~~~but then he received detailed instruction on what seems like a very doable fix. And if that wasn't a enough, Connie rider offered to come ride down and help w/ the repair. Heartwarming stuff. Further makes my mind up to get a concours and get to know everyone!!