• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kawasaki is going to restart building heads for 70's era Z-1, 900, and 1000's!

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
I read last night on the Cycle World website that Kawasaki plans to build NEW cylinder heads for a few models from the 1970's!!  :great:  That is incredible and worthy of repeating here because I know we have quite a few Z-1, KZ-900, and KZ-1000 lovers in the COG. Their reasoning for this is simple, folks that own these bikes don't just want to look at them like museum pieces - they want to ride them!  :beerchug:  And you can only rebuild an old head so many times before you need a new one - true, true.

But I think this story says more about Kawasaki as a vendor and their commitment to us - their customers. Can you think of another manufacturer that gives damn about owners of their vintage gear?!? :??:  Most are in such a hurry to turn the page on their discontinued products that they forget all about support of any kind. I can name the names of all the manufacturers that have left me high and dry :mad:  after investing in their latest product in good faith. It is nice to know Kawasaki may not be yet another that walks away when the C14 production ends - I can't say the same for other makes and models..........

Enjoy the ride,

Jon

Wow, that's cool indeed.
I believe I read somewhere a couple years ago its possible to order a new KZ900 stock exhaust from the factory... It's not cheap

I have 78 KZ650B I ride regularly. And a 77 650C basket case I plan to rebuild some day...
But I just found a 78C,  with the factory faring - a garage find, totally unmolested with 15k miles...
  Now if I just had a bigger garage.

Thanks for sharing
Bob

awesome... currently owning my original '78 KZ1000Ltd, that it nice to hear.. I think part of the interest, is the foreign (Japan) sales and buyers market on these older bikes.. they command HUGE $$$$$ there, and people will pay to get them shipped..

I agree Rich, I think they weren't even sold in Japan anyhow as it was either impossible to afford or license them, most all were shipped to other countries, and now maybe they are "antiques" and therefore "allowed"? Just extrapolating. Now, if they can start making KZ550A parts...…. ;D

Strawboss said:
I agree Rich, I think they weren't even sold in Japan anyhow as it was either impossible to afford or license them, most all were shipped to other countries, and now maybe they are "antiques" and therefore "allowed"? Just extrapolating. Now, if they can start making KZ550A parts...…. ;D

You made me stop, think a bit, and do a search... but I come up zilch on "restricted displacement of Japan's domestic sales", I do recall back then, the '70s, they did hold a "tier system" requiring various "steps up" in relation to riding experience, but can't say they were not selling the Big bikes, locally.. I feel it was mostly caused by the poor Japanese economy then, combined with increasing fuel costs, and pollution controls.. followed by major US allegations of "dumping" (selling versions below manufacturing costs, here in the US), by our gov't. The manufacturers could get more sales here, than there.. Now, with the major exponential increase in fluid economy in Japan, rich people, and many more, can "afford these bikes.. " and seek them out in the marketplace..  I've seen websites there,(like 10 years back) where people are offering 10 to 20K $ for my '78... in the shape it is in, and even more for pristine un touched, stored bikes..  that's my take on it, and why I still have mine BOLTED TO THE FLOOR in my garage... besides, it's a cool bike. :great: :great:

I ended up with bent valves on my Z1 900. Not sure if was the youngest daughter ex boy friend forgetting he was on a 9k redline Z1 and not a GXR. Or perhaps it was a Friend helping with a valve check. Probably the second because it was during a period I was not at 100%.

I ended up with new intake valves, springs all the way around, keepers, oil seals all the way around. The bike only had 27K on it so exhaust did not get new guides. After it was all said and done I spent about half of what the price is for a new one.

I don't have deep pockets,(my other half keeps me in reality) But as a Z1 900 owner I understand the cost of doing business with these old bikes can be rather expensive. A complete new head for 2K and some change....I would be all in if I needed one.

OEM exhaust. You can order repo's from most dealers who deal in vintage parts for the Z1's and KZ's. These are not Kawasaki per say but the word is made by the original contractor for these pipes. Talking the four into four. I understand quality was not so good at first but now quality from reading feedback it has greatly improved. Getting good used pipes off fea bay is difficult because back in the day we had lead added to the gas. That does little to help from rusting old pipes.

Out side of exhaust the next major hurtle is the carburetor's. Almost 50 year old carburetor's are normally well worn and or dirty from old gas. Both can be frustrating. Then add worn needle jets and needles. Can get the needles but the needle jets are hard to find. I did find a new "A: carb off fea bay which was good. But ultimately  it was an irreparable "B" carb that made me go on a search. I found a correct set off a red 75 Z1 that had been on the shelf since 1977 for $350.00. I put these on the bike after a quick clean up. I have a chart which shows me it I put my finger on this port and spray carb cleaner in that port it should come out of this port. Worked through each one a couple of times. The synced Right up and made air screw adjustments. All four plugs burn the same color and I get advertised mileage. (45 at 70 mph)

The bike is fun to ride and is my old age crisis bike. I had a couple of them back in the day. But a C14 sure spoils a guy. 

TimR said:
The bike is fun to ride and is my old age crisis bike. I had a couple of them back in the day. But a C14 sure spoils a guy. 

I rode quite a few 900's and 1000's back in the day. And spent a year dialing in and racing a drag bike that started life as a 900, but later became something entirely different and very scary.  :-\  But it still had a Kawi personality to it! I have always loved big green and their incredibly fast machines.

My Connie is one of the best sleepers I have ever seen, it pulls up to a light - quietly and so calm, content to just roll off and continue politely on her way.  But in a flash she can get quite nasty and highly offended by someone in the other lane trying to make her look bad - then all hell breaks loose and she gets extremely loud and aggressive.  :eek:  And when she does that I'm the one that needs to get her out of trouble - "I swear officer, it wasn't me - it's the bike I tell you, it has a split personality and is possessed by a demon!" >:D "I just try to hang on when she losses her cool at some jerk at a stoplight - really. You should hear some of the language she uses in the garage after a day like this - it definitely not something you would want your kids to hear! "  Then she slips right back into her wine and cheeze persona until the next time she is provoked.........

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

The other Kawasakis I'm on the lookout for are an '80 Z1R-TC and an '86 ZL1000; preferably ones that haven't been beat to Hellenbach.

Would be nice to actually be able to ride the things and not worry about unobtanium parts, too.

Actually parts for the 900 is not all that hard to find anymore. Several part houses deal in vintage parts, And then there is e bay.

They are making repo 4 into 4 exhaust pipes again for instance. Might not have the stamps but still have the sound. The old oem's are getting tired, beat up and rusting.

the exhausts are made in japan by do-re-mi. (doremi). they also do 72-75 H2 reproduction exhaust which are beautiful.