• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kawasaki Ki Pass with no FOB??

Dan4aspen

Crotch Rocket
While researching for the gentleman who's Fob was lost in transit, I started trying to do some research for him, to help.  Found this clip on Kawasaki Motorcycle.org forum.  Thought it might be worthwhile to research if anybody finds themselves in this situation.

I found a possible alternate option with the following company below.

Carmo Electronics (Located in the Netherlands) has been repairing CDI's and motorcycle electronic hardware since 1994. As a coincidence, they are currently refurbishing the IC Igniter on my KZ1300. As I was scanning their webpage, I noticed they re-key CPU's, provided you can find two blanks, or it appears they can provide them. It might be worth a call to them to see if they can provide what you need. I know this will depend on Kaw being able to sell you two blanks by themselves.

Main site address where componets are repaired: Alle sleutels kwijt? : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski

Their US contact is: Contact Us : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski  http://www.cdidoctor.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4105

From their webpage:"Lost all keys?
Around the ignition switch of many motorbikes, there is a plastic ring. This ring contains a receiver which reads the key and communicates with the ECM/ECU-unit (or dashboard if it's a Ducati motorcycle).
If you have one working key, we can provide you with more immobilizer keys. You can get the keys from your dealer or from Carmo.

If you have lost all keys it is impossible to make new keys work.
Or is it?

Send your ECU-unit with one or two new keys (Available at your motorcycle dealer, or you can order them here) to Carmo electronics and we will make the new keys work. Everything will work as it originally did, including the immobilizer and the light on your dashboard.
So there's no need to buy expensive new ECU/ECM-units or a new dashboard.

Send the following items to Carmo electronics:
-ECM/ECU-unit of your motorcycle (or dashboard for Ducati motorcycles).
-One or two new chipkeys (or we can order them for you)
-Copy of your original purchase papers
Takes about 10 days to complete.  1 Year warranty.  Claims everything works as it used to.  A lot cheaper than a new ECU, and FOBS from factory.

Also found this article about the diagnostic side Kawasaki Diagnostics System 3.0.  You can program up to 6 Fobs on 1 ECU.  Explains everything that can be done through the KDS, and all the information needed if 1 part of the system fails.  FI ECU, KIPASS ECU, TPS Sensors.  Was an interesting read!!  Page is a PDF.  Blank page will open with a box at bottom asking if you want to open or save the PDF.
Kawasaki Diagnostic System KDS Ver. 3 Instruction
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV0Ps1lJVrkkAhY1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMHZ0NG9yBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM3BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1431521133/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.militaryatvparts.com%2fservice_manuals%2f99929-0442-KDS%2520Ver.3%2520Instruction%2520Manual-EN.pdf/RK=0/RS=RV_YfB71zECV6te1j3hnMqLr6_I-

JR said:
The KDS is expensive as hell.  :(

Expensive or not, a KDS, however, will not resolve the "lost all FOBs" problem that the OP is referring to.  The KDS doesn't even connect to the bike until you've unlocked the stove knob and turned to the ON position.  You cannot do that unless you have at least one active or passive FOB that is already known by the KiPass ECU in your possession.

I've seen that Carmo ad but they are a bit ambiguous about whether they are able to work with a Concours 14 KiPass system or not.  They mention the Kawasaki KISS security system which is not the same as KiPass.  To my knowledge, KiPass is used ONLY on the C14 where KISS is used on a number of bikes and other products.  For instance the newer ZX-14's use a KISS system.

jwh20 said:
I've seen that Carmo ad but they are a bit ambiguous about whether they are able to work with a Concours 14 KiPass system or not.

I communicated with them a while back, and they said that they could do it...however, it included you sending them your KiPass ECU, and them cutting it open and then gluing it back together again, etc. And, even after all that...it was still $600 bucks or more iirc. That gets you non OEM fobs and a KiPass ECU that's been cracked open and glued back together. It wouldn't be my first choice, certainly not when you can buy all the correct OEM components for around the same price, or slightly more, and at least have it done by an authorized Kawi dealer. Try looking for Camro when you're a 1000 miles from home on a road trip.

I have three fobs registered to my bike...one full size, and two passive fobs. I'm well covered. The KDS kits do pop up on Ebay once in a while...but the prices have been going up and up every year on them. I got a great deal on mine when I bought it...and it was complete, at least for the first gen 08-09 bikes. I had to buy another cable for the 2nd gen bikes, and update the software. NBD. (I have since sold my kit to another C14 owner).

Check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-OBD-Diagnostic-Tool-for-Kawasaki-K01-ATV-UTV-JET-SKI-Motorcycles-/261812837335?hash=item3cf542dbd7&item=261812837335&vxp=mtr

Are we on the road to having a cheap Chinese copy of the KDS interface? Lists every Kawi model except the C14...hmmm? Maybe they haven't figured out the KiPass communication portion of the protocol yet....

Rem

Rembrant said:
Check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-OBD-Diagnostic-Tool-for-Kawasaki-K01-ATV-UTV-JET-SKI-Motorcycles-/261812837335?hash=item3cf542dbd7&item=261812837335&vxp=mtr

Are we on the road to having a cheap Chinese copy of the KDS interface? Lists every Kawi model except the C14...hmmm? Maybe they haven't figured out the KiPass communication portion of the protocol yet....

Rem

There is nothing special about the KDS interface hardware.  It's just a CANBus line and follows the OBDII protocol as a baseline.  What is different is the Kawasaki and model-specific commands to do the KiPass-related things.  I've looked at this a bit and there is an MDB file (Microsoft Access Database) file in the KDS software that has what appears to be all the commands.

This device on EBAY seems to be a typical USB-to-CANBus module paired with a connector that fits many Kawasaki models.  With the right adapter I'm sure it would plug into the C14 and talk.  It just wouldn't know how to perform any of the KiPass-related functions without additional programming support.

Jwh, read the first post.  At bottom is a pdf file that explains how to use Kawasaki Diatnostic System to reprogam whatever.  Robs, tps, run diagnostics or statistics including abs, power, etc

dan4aspen said:
Jwh, read the first post.  At bottom is a pdf file that explains how to use Kawasaki Diatnostic System to reprogam whatever.  Robs, tps, run diagnostics or statistics including abs, power, etc

I actually have a KDS and indeed there are some cool things you can do while the engine is running.  You can also exercise many parts, like spark the ignition for test purposes.  But you can't do anything unless or until you can turn the bike ON.  And that requires a FOB of some sort that is already known by the bike.

That, I know, but thought that link that explained the KDS was really cool.  I don't own a C 14, but the things you can do with that are amazing.  Welcome to modern technology!!

dan4aspen said:
That, I know, but thought that link that explained the KDS was really cool.  I don't own a C 14, but the things you can do with that are amazing.  Welcome to modern technology!!

Yes, it is pretty cool.  Remember it's a service tool mostly, the KiPass stuff is really just an add-on for the C14.  There is a lot of telemetry you can readout and it would be cool to get some of that while riding.  Of course I find it difficult to use my laptop on the bike while riding!!  ;)

Hello everyone.

I'm responsible for adding / programming new keys to bike's systems.

In this case what we can offer is we renew the key transponder that is needed when the fob isn't working anymore.

For this service we only need the electronic part that is mounted on the ignition lock we can provide pictures if needed.

We send back an uncut key with working transponder, then you can add an fob key to the KIPASS system using the KDS tool and the KEYID located on the bag (which in you will find the new fob).

And yes we need to cut open the electronic part but it will be waterproof sealed (better then original), you can hardly see it.

We have provide this service over an dozen times already, with great results.

Hopefully this information has helped you guys understanding better what the service means.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

With kind regards.

Kevin
Carmo Electronics.

Hello everyone.

I'm responsible for adding / programming new keys to bike's systems.

In this case what we can offer is we renew the key transponder that is needed when the fob isn't working anymore.

For this service we only need the electronic part that is mounted on the ignition lock we can provide pictures if needed.

We send back an uncut key with working transponder, then you can add an fob key to the KIPASS system using the KDS tool and the KEYID located on the bag (which in you will find the new fob).

And yes we need to cut open the electronic part but it will be waterproof sealed (better then original), you can hardly see it.

We have provide this service over an dozen times already, with great results.

Hopefully this information has helped you guys understanding better what the service means.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

With kind regards.

Kevin
Carmo Electronics.
I need this service ASAP. Sent email through the website.

My experience dealing with a defective FOB and Carmo Electronics has been previously discussed.

See : Defective Fob

The bike is still starting just fine with either RFID keys that Carmo supplied. I don't think I'll be getting a new FOB. I can live with the RFID key.

When did you have service done and any problems? I think I am getting ready to send mine in to them

My experience dealing with a defective FOB and Carmo Electronics has been previously discussed.

See : Defective Fob

The bike is still starting just fine with either RFID keys that Carmo supplied. I don't think I'll be getting a new FOB. I can live with the RFID key.