• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kawasaki service center recommendations needed

chrisd61

Staff member
For my Canadian Homies in Quebec and Ontario...

I need to get the rear TPMS changed on my 2012 (low battery warning since last season) and, of course, can't do the battery replacement trick with the sealed TPMS Kawi provides for the more recent C14s.

I have an amazing mechanic but, although he does fantastic work on the engine and mechanical parts, he's not a Kawa dealer so no programming available. Hence, I need to get a recommendation based on personal experience from a fellow COGger in the eastern Ontario/Ottawa area or southern/middle Quebec areas for a reputable Kawa shop for maintenance.

I got shafted twice by dealerships in Montreal for service (one had the gall to charge me over $1000 for a valve job they never did - first valve adjustment ever occurred last summer - and I was allowed to watch when they removed the pristine valve cover bolts which had never seen a tool in their life).

So although a new TPMS is routine, I'd really like to spend the money somewhere decent.

If I sort google reviews of the dealers authorized near my place, it's a shit show of horror stories (overcharging, not respecting delivery times, bad pre-delivery inspection, shoddy work, etc.). I know your milleage may vary, but still, I'd rather go to a place that does honest work and good customer service.

Looking forward to your replies.

What Cliff said. Fred has figured out how to replace the batteries in the newer sensors, so no programming needed.

Hmmm....I thought the TPMS on 2012 still had the batteries that were easy to replace and new sensors that have the battery in epoxy didn't come out on bikes till 2013??

I have a 2013 C14 with low battery indication for rear tire and I am getting ready for new set of tire, so I am very interested in a way to replace the battery in the newer style sensors. If anyone has pictures or links to youtube videos on how to replace them that would be great. I do not have a Kaw dealer close so getting a new sensor programmed is a pain so I hope I can replace the battery when I put on the new tires.

Fred said he no longer is replacing batteries on newer style TPMS sensor because they are to “problematic”. Looks like I am buying a new one for $213 plus tax and was quoted $55 to program ECU.

Bump, and a question. Aside from taking the tires off, how can I find out if my '21 C14 has TPMS sensors that are hermetically sealed?

Does anyone have how to confirm what the current OEM version is that comes installed?

I'm considering adding 9oz of Ride-On to front tire now that its been changed, and when I pop the new rear on adding 14oz. These numbers come from Ride-On's own dosage calculator. (https://www.ride-on.com/us/calculator)

And, does anyone have a good reason to recommend avoiding this or have an equivalent alternative option?

Thx in advance y'all! AB

The batteries in the old style are easily replaced. I wouldn't touch one of the new ones. Chances are that you'll just make a mess.

If anyone would know if their hermetically sealed, fred would know. Send him a pm, and ask him if he could tell us the differences between the old vs new tmps units...

This way we all learn something...

The new style units ae spendy!

Does the new style have any advantages over the old style? If not, I could see purchasing a set of the old style sensors from a wrecked bike and swapping those in. Has anyone replaced the new style with old?

The new style units ae spendy!

Does the new style have any advantages over the old style? If not, I could see purchasing a set of the old style sensors from a wrecked bike and swapping those in. Has anyone replaced the new style with old?
Unfortunely I don't think it is simple a that. I believe there are numbers on the plastic wrap that needs to be present. These numbers are used to load sensor info into the the ECU with a KDS.

Of course if I am wrong (not unusual) someone will chime in and correct me. ;)

Unfortunely I don't think it is simple a that. I believe there are numbers on the plastic wrap that needs to be present. These numbers are used to load sensor info into the the ECU with a KDS.

Of course if I am wrong (not unusual) someone will chime in and correct me.
So they are like the transmitter fob in that you need a number to program them?

Hmmm....I thought the TPMS on 2012 still had the batteries that were easy to replace and new sensors that have the battery in epoxy didn't come out on bikes till 2013??

I have a 2012 with the old style. Easy to tell by looking at the photo that jwh20 posted.