• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kawasaki Touring seat opinions wanted please

nickrides

Hi Gents
So I've read in the various posts that you guys seem to really like the Kawasaki Touring seat.
I'm 5'11" 225  34 inseam.
I need a better seat.
Should I buy this seat or ?
Thanks in advance!

Theres alot of info on the forum already about seats...someone smarter than I said it best..... everybody's preference are all relative to themselves.  If u have someone from ur area with a seat u would.like to try, you should try and make arrangements to meet.  And see how it feels...

Nickrides said:

Stock/non-custom seats are always a bit of a crap-shoot, but the Kawa Touring seat seems like a reasonable day-seat, certainly superior (for me) than the stock seat that came with my `09 -- I'm 5'11" -- 265#+/- and about 31 1/2" inseam...

Nickrides said:
Hi Gents
So I've read in the various posts that you guys seem to really like the Kawasaki Touring seat.
I'm 5'11" 225  34 inseam.
I need a better seat.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, you should buy this seat.

I have had a Kawasaki Touring seat for 3 years, 35,000 miles. It is much better than the stock seat. But is it as good as a custom seat? My answer would be no. The one area the Kawasaki Touring seat lacks is being built for your height. I am 6'-0", 200#. The seat to peg height is a bit short for me. My butt does not go numb but my knees will ache after 3-5 hours of riding. I have done many 600 mile days with the seat.
I have had a Baldwin on my C10 during the same 3 years, 40,000 miles(yea, I ride a lot). Baldwin, Seth Lam, etc  use your height and weight to determine how high to build the seat. They account for the all important peg to seat height.
So IMHO, the Kawasaki seat is better than stock ,but not as good as a custom seat. Yes a custom seat is going to cost you more also.

In my opinion almost anything is an improvement over the stock seat if you ride over 300 miles. As far as which seat is best for you, as others have said, preferences are individual. It's difficult to tell if a seat is comfortable until you log many miles on it in varying climates and all the different cloths you will wear. I prefer Corbins but they are very firm and some do not like that. I find that for my build they spread the contact patch out to a large portion of my rump eliminating hot spots and the leather seat allows for me to easily adjust my position. I second the idea to try someone else seat if they will let you.

Ok
Thanks for the responses
After thinking about this for awhile I think I'm going to shell out the money and get a
Russel Day long custom build.
I really like this bike and think I'll keep it for quite a while so why not?