• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kern Valley Meet and Greet Oct 13,14,15

OMoaC

Had some good interest in this so here goes. A simple gathering in the Kern River Valley along the shore of Lake Isabella. Scheduled for Oct 13,14,15. I'll be up on Friday the 13th if anyone would like to join in. Unorganized social tire kicking and BS session Sat night. Come on out and see old friends and make some new ones. Lodging is here http://www.lakeview-motel.com/ a 50's style renovated motel. The owner is a very nice lady (Sarah, Mention Councours Owners Group). Only 9 rooms on the property so get them quick. We are exploring optional additional lodging. We are also working on dinner discounts at 2 local restaurants. Central to So Cal and Nor Cal (Kinda) the local has some awesome roads and scenery. Let me know if any questions. C U at the Lake  :motonoises: :beerchug:

I'm in!  Made my reservation.

I saw my shoulder surgeon yesterday and he said my range of motion looked good.  I asked him if I could ride yet.  He said not until 4.5 months from the surgery.  Since the surgery was beginning of June...  Oct. 14th is 4.5 months.

:dance:

To make sure I don't overdo it, I'm only riding in Saturday and riding back Sunday.

What's the deal with alternate lodging?  Russ and J may want to cage in, just for fun.  I dare not take J as a passenger yet with my shoulder.  When I called Lakeview Motel they said 5 rooms were already taken.  :eek:

I don't want to reserve a room for them in case more COG people show up.

CaffeineMan said:
I'm in!  Made my reservation.

I saw my shoulder surgeon yesterday and he said my range of motion looked good.  I asked him if I could ride yet.  He said not until 4.5 months from the surgery.  Since the surgery was beginning of June...  Oct. 14th is 4.5 months.

:dance:

To make sure I don't overdo it, I'm only riding in Saturday and riding back Sunday.

What's the deal with alternate lodging?  Russ and J may want to cage in, just for fun.  I dare not take J as a passenger yet with my shoulder.  When I called Lakeview Motel they said 5 rooms were already taken.  :eek:

I don't want to reserve a room for them in case more COG people show up.
I reserved 4 rooms on my CC to hold them. May be the confusion or some are quick outta the gate. There is rooms available for Sat only here http://www.paradisecovelodge.com/rooms__rates but we have been playing phone tag. Other side of the lake but not far away.

PS Cman, my current route plan is through Pahrump and DV, over the panamints and up the pass into Kern Valley if'n ya wanna.

Yeah they said you had some rooms held, but I didn't take one of those cause I thought they were held for specific people.  If those are for general use, you may want to let them know.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Route in for OMC https://goo.gl/maps/SHpx1FNGSB72

That's my route as well, but I'm coming in Sat., not Fri.  I can't overdo it.

CaffeineMan said:
Yeah they said you had some rooms held, but I didn't take one of those cause I thought they were held for specific people.  If those are for general use, you may want to let them know.
Did this morn. C U there.

What about Sherman Pass Road?  Is that paved all the way?  Anyone been from US-395 to Kernville that way?

CaffeineMan said:

What about Sherman Pass Road?  Is that paved all the way?  Anyone been from US-395 to Kernville that way?
It is paved. Okay shape. Pretty remote. Loved it. (except for the snow & rain storm plus fire caused detours)

I'll probably ride it home, going back north

(oh, and if you're worried about overdoing it, I probably would advise against your healing self doing Sherman this time)

Yeah, I was figuring that might be too much this time around.  I think the heavy downhills leaning on my arm would be the worst.

I think I'm set at Paradise Cove on Saturday night. Planning the meander I posted on the other thread on Saturday, probably a more direct route home on Sunday.

TJSocal said:
I think I'm set at Paradise Cove on Saturday night. Planning the meander I posted on the other thread on Saturday, probably a more direct route home on Sunday.
Kewl!  :beerchug: :motonoises:

Ping Jockey said:
Well, I reserved a spot, now just gotta get back stateside in time
Spankin'! I tried a new libation in Cedar City this run. seemed to be popular as it evaporated. With no ill effects that I am aware of :). Will have to do a follow up test for clinical reasons in Kern. No worries folks. Just criteria validation. It's scientific dontchyaknow.

Only 3 registered  :??: Take the time and put your name on the list. Gives everyone an idea of turn out and promotes involvement. If folks see 10 folks planning on coming out it may change some minds. If folks see only 3 they may say Meh......Throw me a bone here folks. It doesn't cost a dime. Just 5 minutes of time. Howzabout it? :beerchug:

So I may be interested in this after all- I'll be in California the weekend prior with the GF celebrating her birthday, but I'm free the weekend of Friday the 13th.  What's the deal on lodging.. is anything still open?  I'd have to check with my (actual) boss, but with any luck I could blow off Friday entirely- as long as he's not out that day also. 

wav.gif
wav.gif

It looks like I am not going to make that ride.  I'm bummed because the route through Death Valley really looked fun.
I have been at my job (just barely) less than 90 days and they weren't excited about me being out a day before I even start accruing vacation time.
And as much as I wanted to go, I also want them to continue to appreciate me and pay me, not necessarily in that order.  So maybe next time.

too-bad-youre-stuck-in-a-boring-office.jpg

Hey,  I found out that I could attend that weekend.  All signed up and even got a room at the motel.

Wayne

PanAm52 said:
Hey,  I found out that I could attend that weekend.  All signed up and even got a room at the motel.

Wayne
Kewl. Gonna be a hoot. Which way you coming in?

For those that wanna I'll bring my projector again and give a slide show of OtP 2017. And this time you can get commentary from my side kick and fellow OtP traveler Dan. He has a way better sense of humor than I.  :beerchug:

Hwy 155 from Delano looks like it might be twisty enough to make it interesting.  Then a OTP slide show narrated by both participants, sounds fun.  Thanks for bringing it, I missed the Provo SW Regional.

Wayne

I'm now registered (didn't realize I needed to do that) and have a room at Paradise Cove on Saturday night. Looking forward to it!

TJSocal said:
I'm now registered (didn't realize I needed to do that) and have a room at Paradise Cove on Saturday night. Looking forward to it!
Cool Tim. What route in? That run from Tehachapi to Bodfish is a winner. OMC endorsed  :great: :beerchug:

I'm figuring I-5 up to Castaic area and then Lake Hughes-Elizabeth Lake-Tehachapi-Bodfish. Should be rolling into Lake Isabella late Saturday afternoon, I think.

TJSocal said:
I'm figuring I-5 up to Castaic area and then Lake Hughes-Elizabeth Lake-Tehachapi-Bodfish. Should be rolling into Lake Isabella late Saturday afternoon, I think.
Thats my route Friday pm.. Maybe we can ride back on
Sunday with my son.

DGOLD said:
TJSocal said:
Sunday with my son.
Looking forward to C'ing you David! You bringing my dancing partner?  :great: :beerchug:

DGOLD said:
TJSocal said:
Sunday with my son.
Looking forward to C'ing you David! You bringing my dancing partner?  :great: :beerchug:

Still working on 2nd half but my son Ethan is coming on a Honda St 1300.
Hope I can keep up.

Please tell her I promise a dance. Or not depending on your point of view  :)) :beerchug: Looking forward to meeting your son!  :beerchug: This is gonna be a hoot folks.  :motonoises:

Trash packed, visor clean, tires aired. Should be up at central around 2-3p. Come hang out and we can decide on Grub and go. Sat night is wide open with a slide show presentation by not one but both OtP travelers! I will bore you, Dan will make you laugh. Travel safe and C U there!

Trash packed, visor clean, tires aired. Should be up at central around 2-3p. Come hang out and we can decide on Grub and go. Sat night is wide open with a slide show presentation by not one but both OtP travelers! I will bore you, Dan will make you laugh. Travel safe and C U there!

I should be arriving mid to late afternoon on Saturday, so if someone can shoot me a text to let me know where the action is then I'd appreciate it.

I'm staying at Paradise Cove Lodge about a mile & a half up the road. There's a steakhouse there that's got pretty good reviews, might be a consideration for Saturday dinner...

Saw the Old Man on his way as I was on my way into Vegas!  Will see you all tomorrow.  Got clearance from the Doc today on my shoulder!  :great:

Home. What an awesome weekend with fantastic roads/routes/friends. Extra cheese pizza with garlic, much imbibing after the riding was done and did Dan knock it out of the park with his OtP slide show commentary, even though OMC kept throwing curve balls (I'll work on my sequencing). Thank you all for a wonderful weekend.  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :))

Just another great COG event in the Southwest!!

Thanks Mark for setting it up and giving us all a destination.

Lots of stories from only a few days - hopefully everyone will stop by to share theirs.

Some photos

A group of riders from Saturdays technical twisty loop - Mtn Hwy 99 to Great Western Divide Hwy to Hwy190 to Old Stage Coach to Hwy 155 back to Lake Isabella
kv-riders-2.jpg

You can see the hazy, smokey air from some of the California fires (not from the cigarettes)
kv-riders.jpg

Bridge area over the Kern River - a portage for rapid rafters
kv-bridge.jpg

kv-bridge-2.jpg

kv-bridge-3.jpg

kv-bridge-4.jpg

Flat fixing party on Hwy 155
kv-flat-1.jpg

kv-flat-2.jpg

kv-flat-3.jpg

kv-flat-4.jpg

Some of the Latenighters back at the motel - after the OtP adventure presentation by Mark and Dan
kv-latenighters-2.jpg

kv-latenighters.jpg

Mountain Hwy 99 heading down to Kernville (the smoke had blown out for a bit)
kv-1-mtnhwy99.jpg

Ooops - on Friday, while riding to the event, when stopping for a rest on a cambered side of the twisty Hwy 190 road, as I tried to foot maneuver it to a better parking NGLE, my foot, attached to a short barely long enough leg, slipped on a rock. By the time I could get my foot back to solid ground it was to late, "Shes's going down Captain!!!".  As I started to lift the poor girl back onto her wheels, she began to roll backwards cause, ahh, I forgot she was in gear and was on a hill (how I got in this situation in the first place) - and I believe it's as she rolled backwards that the left peg, snagged the ground an snapped right off. Dang.
peg-broken.jpg

So I rode the last 100 miles of twisties resting my foot on the stub of the mount or floating in the air. 
peg-mount.jpg

When we got to the motel PanAm52 loaned me his C10 Emergency Foot Peg from Murphs (now highly recommended)- worked perfectly on my C14 and I enjoyed the rest of my weekend and trip home. Thanks Wayne!!!

We have another one of these Weekend Meet & Greets coming up in Prescott AZ on November 10-12 --- Don't Miss It!!
It will be on the calendar soon!

It was great, even if I only was there for one night and didn't hit up the technical roads.  Just getting back on the bike after 6 months off was fun.  And the slide show was good, even if it was scrambled.
:great:

Hi Guys - enjoyed riding and hanging with you all, might see a few of you in AZ in a few weeks. As you can see, I'm now on the forum.

Doug (FJR)

Doug said:
Hi Guys - enjoyed riding and hanging with you all, might see a few of you in AZ in a few weeks. As you can see, I'm now on the forum.

Doug (FJR)
Great riding and yaking with you Doug  :great: Dunno why I headed south on the 15. Another brain bust. RT 66 was pretty good. Enjoyed your pics on FB. Mayhap we can team up down to AZ.

Hey, I saw there's a great feature article on Wendy Crockett, the mechanic in Kernville, in the November issue of the AMA magazine.

Impressive!

True. And she really helped out a few members on this ride. Gonna promo her help in the next Conc. COG stickie proudly displayed on her window!