• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Key less gas cap

FTB530

I want to use a key less gas cap but i have a SW Motech tank bag with a quick lock, does anyone have or know of a key less gas cap that the tank bag lock will work with?

I had a spare key cut from my emergency key. I keep it on a carabiner clip with my house key on my belt loop. Makes it super easy to use. I was looking for the same before I realized my local hardware store could just cut a regular key.

I had a spare key cut from my emergency key. I keep it on a carabiner clip with my house key on my belt loop. Makes it super easy to use. I was looking for the same before I realized my local hardware store could just cut a regular key.
I have five keys that will open the tank and side cases , that wasn't my question but thanks!

I had a keyless cap for a short time with my Givi lock ring bag & had no issues, no dealings with SW Motech though. I removed the cap because it didn't seem to vent well, not to mention I didn't care for unscrewing the cap & setting it off to the side. I will just continue to remove the stove key as I have been doing for 12 years.

I also made spare keys from my emergency key and I keep one in the lock on the side bag. I just grab it for the gas cap so I don't have to get the stove key out. You don't have to fumble around for a key to open the sidebags that way too.

This is the same cap I had for a brief period. Mine may have just been faulty but it did not vent well. It would have huge pressure on it when opening, even tried riding with it a little loose to no avail.

I also made spare keys from my emergency key and I keep one in the lock on the side bag. I just grab it for the gas cap so I don't have to get the stove key out. You don't have to fumble around for a key to open the sidebags that way too.
Likewise. Mine is hooked to the a strap inside my tank bag. When I used the stove key it seemed I had bent it slightly. Has not come out since. I was going to get the keyless cap but found using a copy of the emergency key works well and involved virtually no $.

This is the same cap I had for a brief period. Mine may have just been faulty but it did not vent well. It would have huge pressure on it when opening, even tried riding with it a little loose to no avail.
I have just installed same cap. After first fill the back pressure on the cap from not venting is making me wonder if this a good fit. Would love feed back

I have just installed same cap. After first fill the back pressure on the cap from not venting is making me wonder if this a good fit. Would love feed back

I dug mine out today to have a look & I just don't see a way for it to vent. When I tried mine out it was hot, the back pressure was extreme. I was not comfortable with it, looks good, fits good but just don't work. Only had it on a few weeks.

I also didn't care for unscrewing it, setting it on seat or pump & then screwing back in.

I had to give a keyless one a go though.

Last edited:
i found out if half way through a tank of gass, on a cold bike unscrew cap a little. the cap does best with a looser screw. im with you cliff. had to give it a go.

I broke down and cut the head off of a key, glued it in a knob, and use it between one of my bags, and the gas cap, when needed. Never mess with the stove knob key.

Reactions: Bud