• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Key West to Prudhoe Bay, AK

kdsmalljr

Has anyone done this Iron Butt on a ZG1000? What kind if prep did you do? What did you learn? What would you do differently? Would you do it again? Thanks!

I did it on a BMW R1100GS. 5 days, 22 hours and 43 minutes. IBA Sanctioned. Would I do it again, I would answer no, I have no desire to do it again.

As for prep, just make sure your bike is in good running condition, be prepared to ride in mud, dirt and gravel. If I was to do in on a C-10 I would invest in some front and rear highway bars. I do not think the C-10 is the best bike for this ride because of all the gravel, dirt and mud, but I know it could do it because I saw several Harleys riding the Haul road and they made it.

Go to you tube and check out Ricks Alaska Trip watch all 7 parts
I've watched a bunch of Rick's videos. He rides through some pretty rough stuff on a C10. He's seen some wonderful sites, but to say it is a challenge, I think, is an understatement. Best of luck to anyone that attempts rides like that. Hats off to them and those that complete it.

I know several riders who have done this, and I would seriously consider renting a 250cc in AK for the haul road ride. Way cheaper than all the damage/wear and tear the Connie will get, and it's way easier to pick up. HTH.