• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Labor hours for fork rebuild on an '08

avsreader1

Anybody have a sense of a standard number of labor hours for front fork removal and rebuild? My local shop is telling me 6 or even more, and I'm a bit skeptical.

Steampunk Barnstormer said:
Anybody have a sense of a standard number of labor hours for front fork removal and rebuild? My local shop is telling me 6 or even more, and I'm a bit skeptical.

flat rate/book rate? about 2.5 hrs. shop time.. they list a valve inspect at 6-7 hours tho.. go figure.. we know a little bit more about how odd that figure is...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
best of luck, find a better / honest shop.

My shop quoted me 150 for an oil change on the forks. I think that's a deal.

Full removal and rebuild with seals and bushings easy 8 hrs. Fluid replacement only less than 2.

Just did the seals and fork oil flush myself. Including removing and installing the forks, wheel, and calibers it took me 3 1/2 hours.  And that was my first time removing the forks.  If you plan ahead and have the  ushings and seals already on hand, figure on spending that amount of time.  And its not that difficult to do, as long as you have a fsm and the tools on hand.

konehead :

Where did you get the bushings from ?  I don't see them listed in the parts fiche.  And how did you removed the old bushings and then install the new bushings ?

IBAJIM said:
Please define "rebuild".
Full dis assembly with solvent cleaning and wipe down. Replacement of all bushings and seals. I'm old and it takes a few more minutes for me to go from sitting to standing. Close to an hour to get the wheel removed with brake calipers off and forks removed. I could not make a living as a shop by the hr tech. This includes breaks for frosty bev's. Must have a very good spring compression system ready to go also. Picture perfect shop rates or real world where a 2 hour job is one stripped bolt head away from a 2 day ordeal. Just sayin'. Pray for the best, plan for the worst. Am I the only one who has kicked a drip pan over and spent the next 30 minutes cleaning up the mess?  :beerchug:

I didnt replace the bushings, only seals and dust caps.  I mention the bushing simply from the stand point that if u have all the parts handy ahead of time, you would be able to change it all at the same time.  Regarding changing them, i did my forks at 52k miles.  And fro. The color M of the fork oil i dont think they were done b4 i got her.  Bushings were in hreat shape ...

Old Man on a Connie said:
IBAJIM said:
Please define "rebuild".
Full dis assembly with solvent cleaning and wipe down. Replacement of all bushings and seals. I'm old and it takes a few more minutes for me to go from sitting to standing. Close to an hour to get the wheel removed with brake calipers off and forks removed. I could not make a living as a shop by the hr tech. This includes breaks for frosty bev's. Must have a very good spring compression system ready to go also. Picture perfect shop rates or real world where a 2 hour job is one stripped bolt head away from a 2 day ordeal. Just sayin'. Pray for the best, plan for the worst. Am I the only one who has kicked a drip pan over and spent the next 30 minutes cleaning up the mess?  :beerchug:

:)) :))you and I know the foibles, and expect the un expected.. knowing fully when "we" goof, it's on us.. my quote on "time" was based from normal "Kaw" rates, and they don't include those "oooops" moments, if they did, it would be a "Large $$$$ " job... btdt; we tend to make our efforts meticulous, during the job... dealers don't.  I always time my services, when I do them, and frankly I can't ever hit even close o the "book times".. hell, I have to do a 3x factor on most of those services,  but then again, when I say it "is done", I truly know it was complete.. and the only one accountable for error was me.. Kaw Tech's just shrug shoulders, and say "oops, lemme fix it again.." :rotflmao: :great:

I had the guy who the runs a bike rental for track days, he buys old 300 Ninjas and gets them track ready He charged me a falt $100 plus parts.