• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lapping Lake Superior - Soon!

JimClem

Moped
Greetings from the flatlands! I am planning a trip in early August to ride a much anticipated lap around Lake Superior.
I've read some older posts on this region and had just a couple questions please:

Brockway Mountain Road near Copper Harbor, is this road entirely paved these days?
Planning on riding H58 out of Munising for some twisties, anywhere else come to mind?
We'd like to hit at least one decent museum while in the region, any feedback there, thinking ship or ship wrecks related.

Thanks in advance, anything I've missed or other related pointers are appreciated.

Oh boy. memories,,,,vaguely LoL  I did that ride in 2001'ish? Clockwise around, the views on the Canadian side of Superior were awesome.
Superior, WI has the Whaleback Ship Museum? I visited that way back when I was stationed at K.I Sawyer (Say Ya To Da UP, Eh?)

There is also the Amsoil Headquarters in Superior, a point of interest maybe for a gear head.
Duluth has the Aerostich shop, back then was not much of a storefront that I remember, but had to check it out since it was like, there. :)

And the Soo Locks at Sault Ste Marie, didn't have enough time to spend there, would definitely go back for another visit.

If you are lapping Lake Superior there a few must sees on the Minnesota shore related to ships or ship wrecks.  Two that come to mind are Split Rock Light House and the Maritime Museum in Duluth.

https://www.lsmma.com/

http://www.mnhs.org/splitrock

Normally I would suggest the William A Irvin tour , but it is closed for renovation until 2019. https://decc.org/william-a-irvin/

I have never been to the SS Meteor Whaleback Ship Museum, but it looks interesting. http://superiorpublicmuseums.org/s-s-meteor-2/

When are you planning to do it?  The Aerostich Very Boring Rally is August 17-19 and a COG event is planned around it.  Details on the COG event can be found in the event calendar.

http://www.boringrally.com/

Last I heard about Brockway Mt road the state brought it and it has been repaved.
I have not been there to verify this. East end of H58 stop at Lake Superior Brewing
for a good pizza. Camping and lodging in area also. What are your dates for this adventure?

Thanks everyone for the comments and pointers, very much appreciated!

We'll be rolling East out of Superior Monday August 6th so looking at a counter clockwise lap.
Not camping, stop overs for the night planned in Hancock, Munising, Wawa, ON and Thunder Bay ON.

The museum in Whitefish Point looks exactly like we had in mind.

I guess another question is about how much time to expect or plan on when doing the border crossings.
I'm thinking it probably depends on time of day, newbie here.

Thanks again!

Getting into Canada, depending on time of day, is usually not the problem.
Getting back into the States is allways the most time consuming. I regularly
cross and the American side can be a real pain.

Im envious about this trip. The west/northwest side of the Lake is absolutely beautiful. When your in Thunder Bay, visit Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. The lookout platform that is 400 ft above the Lake, is hidden 9km off the secondary rd. But its well worth enduring the gravel/granite road out there.
Also make sure you stop at Kakabeka Falls in Thunder Bay
GREAT memories.

My border crossing into Canada was difficult. I guess I just set off every red flag on my initial conversation with the border agent.

This is how the conversation went.
Q: Where are you going to?
A: Im just riding around the lake.
Q: How long will you be in Canada.
A: 3-10 days.
Q: Are you traveling with anyone or meeting anyone here?
A: Traveling alone and I hope I meet nice people while Im here.
Q: Do you have a place your staying, or reservations somewhere?
A: No. (As I twisted around and pointed to the camping gear strapped onto my bike)
Q: Married or single?
A: Divorced
Q: Do you have any alcohol or weapons with you?
A: Yes, I have a pint bottle of Capt Morgans.
Q: What is the alcohol for?
A: To enjoy as a I sit and enjoy my evening wherever I am at

Please pull off to the side here and come inside.
Q: Who do you work for
A; *******
Q: What is your work phone number?
A: I dont know, I never call them. They just send emails when I due to work.
Q: When do you have to be back at work?
A: Im guessing around 2-3 weeks
Q: How much cash do you have?
Q: How many credit cards do you have and what is the available balance on the cards?
Q: Why do you have two addresses? a PO Box address and a physical address.

Were going to search your bike. Please give us the keys.
me: No, I will open the saddle bags for you.
NO, you must stay here.
me: Im day 4 into a 14+ day trip, and I cant risk you breaking a latch on my saddlebags. I will open them and close them afterwards.

After the bottle of rum was located, they were satisfied. They didnt take it either.

Attachments

• 138.JPG
    138.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 98
  • 122.JPG
    122.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 107.JPG
    107.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 107
Another great look out along the North Shore in Minnesota is Palisade Head, just north of Silver Bay.  It is easy to miss, just a brown sign and a dirt parking lot.  It has a single lane blacktop road to the top that is a bit sketchy, but very doable, even 2 up.  One of my favorite memories of the U.P was the road going into Copper Harbor.  Full canopy and curvy, not a lot of elevation and only good for about 15 miles, but nice.  There is a shop in Copper Harbor that had the best maple fudge I have ever tasted, if you are into that.  You might want to check into road conditions in Houghton and northern Wisconsin.  I know that had some severe flooding earlier this summer that washed out several roads.  That was awhile ago, so they probably have it figured out or detours in place.  Have a great trip. 

Thanks again for the comments and feedback, getting close!
Here's another question, getting in to the weeds with this one:

I'm considering riding through the Porcupine Mountain State Park, entering from the West side going through the entire park exiting East to route 64 and to Ontonagon. Question is if the road through the park is paved or in decent condition and I guess more importantly is it worth it?
Looks like a really big park and I'm sure the speed would be very low understandably.

I'm breaking the ride down now by the day so may have a few other questions as I get things sorted through.
Appreciate the help, thanks!