• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

LDDave,s December BBQ RTE

lddave

Moped
Being new to the COG family I thought I would invite every one to my December BBQ RTE.

Hard to believe it has been 10 years since I decided there was not much motorcycle wise going on in December and this BBQ RTE was launched. This year I am going back to a past location. Past years there have been riders from Florida, Ohio, California, and New Mexico. Past Iron Butt Rally finishers and rally winner.

Saturday December 3  11am
Luling City Market
633 E. Davis St
Luling , Texas

Hope to see you there.

Tempting, but looks like it may be a rainy weekend...I will let you know tomorrow evening...I have a three-day weekend (Fri-Sun) so would be nice to get away for a few days...

Hey Dave,
Sorry I have been so swamped I forgot about trying to put this out to more then just the few members that frequent the forum.  I really just needed more notice so this could go out to everyone in a newsletter.  Luling is a nice idea and easy distance for us but we have all kinds of crazy going on and between the threat of rain and life I am very questionable.

Hey, If I worked a little harder/smarter the next two days and could beg off working on the sprinkler system I could do this.  I haven't started the Turbo in a while and she might need a ride to loosen up her BOV.  Been too busy with funerals and holidays to fish OR ride.

EDIT TO ADD:
Joe, you can always stay at my place or there's a Best Western a few blocks from there (I know you have a Best Western thingy).  Of course I don;t really have much free time for the weekend unless I get all my work done by Friday afternoon/night.  I'll see what I can do.  Hard to rush inspiration, it comes when it shows up.

Thanks for the offer, Rev! We need to plan a weekend sometime to get the Dyno working, or Ted will hold it over your head forever. ;D

At this point, I think it is a wash. Rain prediction is even worse than yesterday, 80% Sat and 70% Sun. I am not die-hard enough to tour in the rain, especially that far from home. But I will cross my fingers and check again tonight.

I am antsy enough to get away that I may do it anyway in the cage...going to check my fuel budget and think about that as well. Jeep drinks like a Kennedy. I will mull over it today and let y'all know tonight.

I know Ted thinks we can just get the dyno to work, but I think it is going to need some electronic repairs to the IO unit before it goes again.  There's just no communication and everyone I've talked to with Dynojet (as well as Murph who owns one) says that it has a problem.  The circuit boards and their associated solder joints all look good and no components look toasted, but...

Ted feels that it will not communicate if I don't have the ignition of the bike hooked up, but everyone else says it should still be recognized by the computer/software which makes sense to me.  HOWEVER, I'm willing to try anything, anytime.  Bring it.

It appears that I only have a 30% chance for rain HERE, but Luling has a 70% chance on Saturday.  I don't know what it's like for the REST of your ride, but getting close to Luling is going to be wet most likely.  Sunday has only a 20% chance here which means no rain. LOL  If it's raining, I wont bother with the ride either even though it's only a couple of hours or a tad less for me.  THe turbo prefers dry... even though the DUnlop Roadsmarts are SUPPOSED to be great rain tires they do NOT hold it well in the wet.  And if I can't throttle her up a bit, she can just sit in the garage and gather spiders.  :(

Rain chances have actually improved a little...I am probably going to bow out, but reserve the right to check the weather tomorrow morning and leave at the last minute. ;D

OK, so is ANYONE going to this RTE for sure?  I'm not going by myself to this location for the grub, but only for the fellowship. Otherwise I'll do something else.  Thr durn pest control people want to spray the church Sat morning anyhow and I have to find someone to cover for me in order to go.  I'd certainly do that to meet up with some others.  Sooooo.....  ???  :motonoises:

Rev -

It looks like Dave's main thread for this event is here at the Two Wheeled Texans Forum.  From reading through that thread it also looks like this long-standing event goes on through rain or sleet.

I've cancelled on Jim Snyder's Queen Wilhelmina Lodge run 'cause that would involve 2 nights of wet camping for me, not what I enjoy.

A bit of wet riding isn't a problem, though, so I'll head over to Luling for this BBQ RTE (only 30 miles for me). :motonoises:

I started the bike and the headlight popped.  The car already has one out.  I think I have to spend the morning replacing headlights.

Rain chances are now 30 % for Saturday, but whatever the predictions are there have never been a cancellation or reschedule in 10 years . Rain or shine see some of you there to the others toughen up :)

From my house it's about 112 miles so I reckon it's only thirty minutes for me too.  :D

IF the pesticide folks will get done with their bidness and I can keep the rest of the world from unraveling, I intend to try to come. 

Dave, I've ridden so many miles wet I get wrinkly just thinking about it.  I've ridden through 3" hail too that broke my fairing and mirrors.  The tank was protected cuz I was laying on it.  Thank God for good gear... spine protector and helmet probably saved my life.  That really doesn't toughen you up, rather it tenderizes you.    :nananana:

I'm tough enough... if I need to or if I really want to, I can go through about anything.  But lunch and an interstate ride to get it rarely excites me that much (though one look at me might convince some folks otherwise).  ;D

The ride for me is about 2.5 hours, so I am still going to check in the morning. We are actually getting some rain HERE right now, although just enough to knock the dust down...and turn it to slippery mud...

If predictions improve, I may still make it; but I am officially a "no" for now. :(

Work continues to crowd time off.
A funeral I expected to be Monday or Tuesday is now officially Sunday.  I'm not sure I can get everything done.  Back at it. I'm trying.

Well, I have to meet with a family for funeral planning at 10am now so I'm out.  :(
I hope yall have a great time and good weather.  It's looking pretty good in the forecast to me.  Don't eat too much.  ;D

See yall at the National.

Thanks, Dave, for the invite.  The BBQ and socializing in Luling were great.  ;D

The weather was only slightly damp for most of the travellers it seems and all that showed certainly had a good time.  I counted over 30 bikes at one point and another handfull+ rolled in after that.

I visited with one other rider on a C10 and several folks on other rides mentioned having one in the garage (a hangin' offense it seems to me  :(  ).  Hmmm, I don't recall seeing a single C14  ::)

I took a wandering route home, think I'll have to look into that bag with extra ribs, half an link and brisket here in a bit  :nananana:

Good seeing you Alan before we left some more folks arrived . Yes it was a great day we had sunshine and 75 degrees on the way home , so much for the gloom doom weather forecasts .  There was one C14 I was on it  :).  If you liked the RTE you might like notsocheapstoc weekend in the hill country in May.

Sorry I missed out on the fun.  Not so sorry to miss out on riding in 35-45 mph winds down here though.  I probably need a few more hours to finish being ready for tomorrow, so there just was no possible way.  Glad to hear yall got to go and had some fun.  Who took the long distance award Dave?

And by the way, in April or May will be the Big Bend Ride the Twisties Ride and the WIldflower Ride near Kerrville in Hunt, Texas.  Then of course shortly after that will be the National in Eureka.  Gonna be a banner year for South Central RIdes it appears.

lddave said:
.......  There was one C14 I was on it  :).  .....

I must have had a hole in my eye re: your C14; for some reason I thought you pointed to a Beemer as your ride-du-jour  :-[

Glad to hear y'all had a sunny ride to Houston.  I rode through Bastrop SP which opened yesterday for the first time since the fire; just dreadful to see the damage.  Being an Austin native I've camped there since a kid, it won't be the same in my lifetime.  This pic an example of the burned standing trees, they're in the process of felling the dead trees in many areas of the park.
BSP12_3_11-1.jpg

Looks like a really good crowd! Like Rev said, weather down south was windy as heck. I ended up in the Jeep all weekend, getting tossed around the highways like a cardboard box...We even got some rain here, which we needed. And then this afternoon the temps went from upper 70s to low 50s in almost no time. Wacky weather.  :-\

Alan I thought about riding through the park but changed my mind deciding that I would be depressed all day after that.  It is just sad.  I bet there are a bunch of cyclist that are upset also.  It was a better bicycle road then motorcycle in many ways.