• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Leak onto left boot

jonbadger

I’ve been working to restore Jeff Newsomes old ‘95 back to health. It recently soaring a leak that I am having trouble isolating. I first noticed it when on a test run and came back with oil on my left boot, and oil down the left side of the bike. It does not seem to be leaking when sitting still, or idling. Any ideas and recommendations for a parts source for said recommendations?

95 C10 30k-ish miles, 10 years dormant.

I've had a few leaks from the left . Water pump seal , shifter shaft seal , APE cam chain tensioner and the square rubber grommet on the pickup coil wire . The pickup coil grommet was the only one bad enough to get on my boot . The grommet is attatched to the wires and cant be bought seperately but some have had luck with black rtv to seal it if its not too brittle .

Most likely is the water pump seal, but I'm unsure if they allow oil down the side of the bike.
Assuming the water pump bearings are ok, that seal is replaceable.
Another thought would be the hose fitting for the oil cooler.

Ride safe, Ted

Most likely is the water pump seal, but I'm unsure if they allow oil down the side of the bike.
Assuming the water pump bearings are ok, that seal is replaceable.
Another thought would be the hose fitting for the oil cooler.

Ride safe, Ted

Any idea on where we might find that article that used to be in the tech pages on this? I have what I think is a leak from the water pump on my old Red 2000 C-10. The clutch slave cylinder seal was replaced already, that wasn't it.

Any idea on where we might find that article that used to be in the tech pages on this? I have what I think is a leak from the water pump on my old Red 2000 C-10. The clutch slave cylinder seal was replaced already, that wasn't it.
I don't think they have everything from the old tech section moved over to the new one yet.

Here's an excellent video on that .

My pump was leaking water so I did a rebuild with the info from M in S C. It came out ok.

The oil seal is known to migrate out and cause a oil leak. It can be replaced and installed with a little lock-tight. Some people will lay the bike over on the right side so it doesn't leak oil when they pull the pump. I was do for a change so just drained it.

Not sure if the water pump oil leak will be enough to get on your boot. You need to find the location of the leak before you start replacing parts.