• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

LED tail light?

shrekster

Training Wheels
I'm looking at upgrading my tail lights, I  know I can get individual LED bulbs but was wondering if there are replacement complete light units?
Thanks,
Jim.

I did LED's in the tail lights when they first came out and found
they only light a circle in the center of the red lenses.
I went back to 1157's as they lit the whole lenses.

I finally found some LED bulbs that do more than just light a circle in the center of the red lenses.
Will try to find that info.
But, he is looking for a complete light unit, not just a LED bulb...

Ride safe, Ted

For replacement bulbs try West Coast Classic Cougar plasma red bulbs. I got that from another link here several years ago. They also had amber ones for the front running signal bulb. A little expensive but they have a big differance in light between running and brake.

I have not looked for a total replacement light assembly.

I used SuperBright LED's that were quite a bit brighter than the 1157's, they also flash with the modulator much faster when you hit the brakes. think the bulbs were like 2.99.But if he needs a whole tail light assy try a Harbor Frieght LED boat trailer light kit 49.99

bajasam, great minds think alike..

I've suggested to several that they remove the internals from another LED tail light and install that in their C-10.
Don't know if any have done it,, but same thought.

Ride safe, Ted

I've tried all kinds of LED taillight bulbs and they were all crap. I shoulda bought Murphs when he was making them.
Some only lit part of the lens, some just didn't fit in the socket due to the circuit board layouts, most were either too dim, too bright or had very little difference between tail (5W) and brake (21W).
So, after wasting some $100, I made my own.
Sorry, no pics of it working yet, although it is fitted and working.
Colour is slightly redder than with standard bulbs but about 10% brighter on Tail and 50% brighter on brake.
If it's reliable then it's staying put, otherwise I can always go back to 1157s.

Attachments

• TailBrake1.jpg
    TailBrake1.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 137
  • TailBrake2.jpg
    TailBrake2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 148
I have the Gizmomill LED taillight that Murph used to sell. It came from Canada and  Iundertand it is no longer made.  I have also added a bunch of LED lights and Scotchlite reflective material.

CAN YOU SEE ME NOW??

Attachments

• CAN YOU SEE ME NOW 1  email - Copy.JPG
    CAN YOU SEE ME NOW 1 email - Copy.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 142
connie_rider said:
If someone can't see that, their blind!!
      {or; on their *&^%#*&xxx cell phone}

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, well, unfortunately....too many are. :(

Nosmo said:
connie_rider said:
If someone can't see that, their blind!!
      {or; on their *&^%#*&xxx cell phone}

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, well, unfortunately....too many are. :(
How true!

Your setup is very similar to mine, but I don't have the strip below the license plate. Hmmm.... ;D

Watch that supplier.
Something wrong with their information.
Sez it's an 1157, but has only 1 contact and even pins. Clearly it's an 1156.
{a 1157 should have 2 contacts and staggered pins}

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Watch that supplier.
Something wrong with their information.
Sez it's an 1157, but has only 1 contact and even pins. Clearly it's an 1156.
{a 1157 should have 2 contacts and staggered pins}

Ride safe, Ted

I thought so also, but looking at the actual "sale product", it is noted as the BAY15D only, even tho they show pictures of both that lamp, and the BA15S also..  they do clarify which is which (I'm sure the 1156/single function sale is in a different ad)

the one in the ad is actually the 1157 equivalent, 2 circuit lamp.

if I wasn't such a stingy bastich, I'd probably buy 6 sets, as I can't get 1157's for any cheaper than they are selling those for.. And I replace one or two every couple years on my trucks.

Interesting find tho, while looking at other stuff from that dealer, I found this.. I knda like it, it fits the bill very nicely, and seems a very good alternative to some alternate fused circuit panels...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Way-Blade-Fuse-Box-Block-Holder-LED-Indicator-12V-32V-Auto-Marine-Waterproof/233165175576?hash=item3649ba3b18:g:RV0AAOSw0Apc7dqI:sc:USPSFirstClass

you might have to actually copy and paste that link, for some reason the last digits seem to get missed..

MAN OF BLUES said:
-snipped-

Interesting find tho, while looking at other stuff from that dealer, I found this.. I knda like it, it fits the bill very nicely, and seems a very good alternative to some alternate fused circuit panels...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Way-Blade-Fuse-Box-Block-Holder-LED-Indicator-12V-32V-Auto-Marine-Waterproof/233165175576?hash=item3649ba3b18:g:RV0AAOSw0Apc7dqI:sc:USPSFirstClass

you might have to actually copy and paste that link, for some reason the last digits seem to get missed..

Hey Rich, guess what I bought a month ago?  ;D  Got the 6 circuit version through amazon (amazon price looks to be a couple bucks more per unit).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBV2MHN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally found a location on the Ninja 1000 to mount it, it is a pretty bulky (comparatively) unit for the  Ninja, probably wont be a factor for the Connie. Will be doing the          relay(s) wiring this weekend to power it up, and the driving lights, heated grips, ect.    :)