• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

LEDs FOR HEADLIGHTS: LEGALITY

WFL

Here is a copy of a recall notice I received in the mail yesterday concerning a couple of H8 LED bulbs I purchased for my Honda Ridgeline. I went over to the NHTSA web site and there was some additional info under recall 20E077000. Also attached is some info I copied from the DIODE DYNAMICS web site regarding LEDs and there use as Headlight bulbs. Seems like a lot of us are technically breaking the law. I wonder what the ramifications would be in a head on collision if the driver of a vehicle crosses into a MC's lane and then states he was "blinded" by the illegal use of a LED bulb. Comparative negligence? DI DY LED BULB RECALL11242020-1.jpgStreet Use of LED BulbsDiode Dynamics is suspending the sale of-1.jpg

I wonder if Diode Dynamics was selling their LED lights as being street legal.

Some LED and HID bulb vendors sold their bulbs for "off-road" use only, getting by the legal restriction with a wink-wink, nod-nod reference to their bulbs being direct replacements.

I had really poor luck with some early HID bulbs so held off on using anything but halogen bulbs for years. When I started reading about the Evitech-F2 bulbs over on the ST-Owners forum, I decided to give it a try. The light pattern came out identical without even needing to adjust them. IMHO, as long as you make sure you aren't blinding anyone else, no LEO will have cause to pull you over. But if you blind him...you bought it. ;)

Chris

Some LED and HID bulb vendors sold their bulbs for "off-road" use only, getting by the legal restriction with a wink-wink, nod-nod reference to their bulbs being direct replacements.

I had really poor luck with some early HID bulbs so held off on using anything but halogen bulbs for years. When I started reading about the Evitech-F2 bulbs over on the ST-Owners forum, I decided to give it a try. The light pattern came out identical without even needing to adjust them. IMHO, as long as you make sure you aren't blinding anyone else, no LEO will have cause to pull you over. But if you blind him...you bought it. ;)

Chris
Yes, they were selling them as street legal for replacement headlight bulbs. Their web site now has a disclaimer you must check when ordering them acknowledging that the bulbs are for fog light or off road use only. I've had no problem with the ones in my Honda. No one flashing their brights at me when my low beams are on [as if my highs were blinding them]. light pattern is great so I plan on leaving them installed.

Chris
Just got my Evitek now that the first snow is on the horizon. Ordered in June, they just got here. I will install over the winter sometime.

What is your real world experience with them. I have run the Cyclops for the 5 years I have had the bike but after reading the reviews on the ST forum when the Cyclops needed replaced I thought I would try these. They seem to adjust a little different as they spin in the mount. I suppose I will putz around and get the cut off correct and aim where it needs to be. The boot is already modified for the Cyclops so I think it should just be a direct replacement.

Just got my Evitek now that the first snow is on the horizon. Ordered in June, they just got here. I will install over the winter sometime.

What is your real world experience with them. I have run the Cyclops for the 5 years I have had the bike but after reading the reviews on the ST forum when the Cyclops needed replaced I thought I would try these. They seem to adjust a little different as they spin in the mount. I suppose I will putz around and get the cut off correct and aim where it needs to be. The boot is already modified for the Cyclops so I think it should just be a direct replacement.
The Evitec bulbs are clocked correctly when you receive them. {Light cut off at top}
Note the Lock ring location!
You have to remove the locating ring when you install them on the bike and that clocking can be confused..
After installation, Clock them as they came to you and all should be fine.