• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Left Mirror

flotsamandjetsam

Hi everyone,

I recently dropped my '98 zg1000  (it was at a slow speed) and cracked my left mirror.    Anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement?    Can I just replace the glass, or do I need to get the whole assembly?    The assembly seems fine,  if I can find a place to get new glass. 

I included a picture.

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Attachments

• alaska-2019-Show-.jpg
    alaska-2019-Show-.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 120
G'Day Mate,

Not to sure if the mirror make things look bigger or smaller but if that is not an issue I just went to a glazier and he cut one from "normal" mirror glass, that was 20 years ago. Maybe they have mirror glass that can accommodate these days.

most any glass shop ought to be able to cut a new mirror for you and it shouldn't be too expensive.

Many moons ago, one of our COGger's discovered the mirror glass from an xxxx (late 70's or 80's vintage?) year Chevy pick'em up truck worked as a suitable replacement. Apologies I cannot remember the details.
And 'popping' the mirror frame around the glass, with a sturdy putty knife with an edge, can be tedious. You do not want to be in a rush getting that piece off, but it can be done. Then just super glue back in place with your replacement glass.
HTH

Randy said:
Thanks for the info.

Do I need to take the assembly off the bike, or is there a trick to popping the mirror glass out?

The mirror assy does not need to be removed. There is a seam around the perimeter of the mirror that is spot glued IIRC  in place. (As opposed to glued all the way around) With the putty knife (or similar prying edge device) might want to start on the bottom, and gingerly, carefully try to pry that 'frame' piece off. Applying heat might be a good idea, I have not tried that myself. The one I took apart was off the bike sitting at the workbench, but not being a patient person, I did break that frame piece in one spot. Others have successfully removed it as a whole. Even if it does break, it can be superglued/gorilla glue, ect. back together.  With the housing mounted solidly to the bike, might be more sturdy to work on the disassembling.  ;D

Here is a link to the tech pages for a list of replacement parts, look under chassis for GM replacement mirror. Never tried it myself but....
https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/clubdocs/1328/CommonConcoursParts1.pdf

My left side mirror broke also. I went to a glass shop and had one made for it. The problem is it's the glass that makes things look bigger or closer than you think. I still use it, but one of these days I'll replace it. I usually use my right side mirror more than my left side. Make sure you specify what the mirror is going to be used for so you don't run into the same problem I did.