• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lidpicker says I've been wearing the wrong helmets. Anyone else had success with their helmet sizing

santacruzrider

I've been breaking in a new fiberglass HJC FG-17 helmet and been a bit surprised at the external size (it's a half inch wider than my previous HJC) and how much more wind it's pushing. The internal fit is also less comfortable than my last helmet, so I bought the Lidpicker helmet sizing/recommendation kit, and lo and behold, none of the helmets I've been wearing the past dozen years are the right shape for my head. I've been buying round helmets for panda-shape heads, and it turns out I've got a long lizard-shaped head.
I'm a bit puzzled how I could be so far off and still have felt the helmets were comfortable. But I guess I'll be rolling into a CycleGear to give new buckets a try.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

I've been breaking in a new fiberglass HJC FG-17 helmet and been a bit surprised at the external size (it's a half inch wider than my previous HJC) and how much more wind it's pushing. The internal fit is also less comfortable than my last helmet, so I bought the Lidpicker helmet sizing/recommendation kit, and lo and behold, none of the helmets I've been wearing the past dozen years are the right shape for my head. I've been buying round helmets for panda-shape heads, and it turns out I've got a long lizard-shaped head.
I'm a bit puzzled how I could be so far off and still have felt the helmets were comfortable. But I guess I'll be rolling into a CycleGear to give new buckets a try.
Anyone else had a similar experience?
My first Shoei I tried on at the dealer. And was told that was a good fit , it was xtra large!
Went to a cycle gear after crash to buy another and the guy told me I needed a medium,so I bought a large and it seems to be perfectšŸ˜

One of the things I've noted when reading helmet reviews on webBikeWorld, is the number of shell sizes a manufacturer uses. Some use only two, some will use three shell sizes. When they use only two shell sizes, they are using the internal padding to fill in the space. The result though if you're on the small end of the size, is you get a helmet that is much larger than one where the shell is closer to your head size.

Chris

My local dealer helped me size a helmet.
If it feels comfortable, it may be too loose.
I went for slightly tighter and after wearing it for a few months, it's now nice and tight and comfortable.

My last helmet pushed on my cheeks like that. Eventually the foam molded to my face and all is good.

Definitely listening / watching for more.

We are reviewing to replace our HJC RPHA MAX modular helmets. We have liked them but now at ~ 10 YRS old find some parts are starting to degrade including the weather seal that is binding on the shield and actually causing cracks to develop on the lens and ultimately failure to the lens clasp

I think these RPHA Max helmets are rather big and although internally comfortable I expect they are not as aerodynamic as one could get.

Other than lenses and SENA headsets all other hardware, cushioning and breath guards are stock. We wash the internals annually - donā€™t want to think what is growing in there lolā€¦.

Last edited:
I've found the Shoei RF series fits my oval-shaped head pretty well. After learning about the different head shapes, I've tried some that were more toward a round shape and the difference is apparent. In years past, I'd likely have gone up a size or two to compensate for the poor shape fit and been none the wiser.

When I try out a helmet, I take the cheek pads out to isolate the fit on the top of my head. With the RF-1200 I just got I ended up with a large, which matches Shoei's fit chart for the measurement I get with a tape measure. Once home with the new lid, I opened up the cheek pieces and removed half of the foam layers so it fit there as well. Still a little tight, but close enough.

If I went by the cheek fit alone, I'd ended up with an XL which would be loose around the scalp.

I am hoping the distributors are letting people try gear on now before buying. Between the RPHA 90s and Shoei Neotec II prices range from $500 - $800.
I would want a perfect fit.

I understand the Neotec II has 4 different shells to better align to the different size heads - probably making real-time fit even more important.

I see the charts all manufacturers offer - head measurement = ā€œ-ā€purchase x, y, z. For todayā€™s price points I would like to try on the x and z even knowing the y is what the recommended chart states.

This is safety equipment, shortcuts are not acceptable.