• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Life after Lowering

croach1776

Tonto
I finally got the Connie 2005 lowered approx 1.75" and the front was lowered only .25" to get the bike balanced. Shop will test ride to ensure no wobblies at speed. Question: what can I expect between OEM ride pre lowering with ride and handling post lowering. I know I need to be more aware of speed bumps ect.

If you like to really lean into corners take it easy until you find what the limits are until you drag something, either muffler or centerstand leg or footpegs. Seeing you lowered the rear more you may have to coax the bike to lean into corners more than before. At 30" inseam I've been tempted to lower mine but going to the 17" rims and ZZR shock, ZRX front end I still can't flatfoot both feet at stops but have gotten used to it and make sure I don't stop where I might encounter a grade change that would have my plant foot down low enough to the point of no return. Good luck and happy riding your newly tweaked bike.
Btw, do you have pics of the centerstand mod, I have an extra one that I'm thinking of chopping an inch or so off. If you got pics maybe post them in your other post centerstand lowering.

Thx. No the bike is level. For some reason the front was lowered by PO and shop only had to adjust it by .25" lower to get the bike level and in balance. Ya contacted a mobile welder but he said I should bring it by so they could discuss and see what I was asking. Young guy - bryan did the work and 1.75 is about the limit without major work to the center stand lowering arm. With center stand down rear wheel less than inch off ground but still stable as with OEM just a little easier to on C Stand. Shop will adjust side stand (it really didnt need it but better to be safe). I will take pictures when I pick it up on Thursday. I think front pegs will hit before anything else. Im not real aggressive rider but could happen in extreme banked turn.

If you like to really lean into corners take it easy until you find what the limits are until you drag something, either muffler or centerstand leg or footpegs. Seeing you lowered the rear more you may have to coax the bike to lean into corners more than before. At 30" inseam I've been tempted to lower mine but going to the 17" rims and ZZR shock, ZRX front end I still can't flatfoot both feet at stops but have gotten used to it and make sure I don't stop where I might encounter a grade change that would have my plant foot down low enough to the point of no return. Good luck and happy riding your newly tweaked bike.
Btw, do you have pics of the centerstand mod, I have an extra one that I'm thinking of chopping an inch or so off. If you got pics maybe post them in your other post centerstand lowering.
Ya I have 30 inseam and shop had me come by to see if they had lowered it enough and both feet flat on ground with tennis shoes. So with riding boots should even be better. Felt like different bike. First ride will tell

Another thought, since the front was lowered by moving the front fork tubes further up in the triple tree, thus shortening the length between the bottom of the triple tree and front wheel attachment....wouldnt that stiffen up the front and improve handling.

No. The spring portion was not altered in any way.
The front was lowered less than the rear, so you will now have more rake.
This will probably make the turn in a tiny bit more difficult, with better straight line feeling.
NOTE: Ensure that there is adequate air in the rear shock {at least 30#}, and front has preload.

Ride safe, Ted

No. The spring portion was not altered in any way.
The front was lowered less than the rear, so you will now have more rake.
This will probably make the turn in a tiny bit more difficult, with better straight line feeling.
NOTE: Ensure that there is adequate air in the rear shock {at least 30#}, and front has preload

From what the shop told me that the bike will be level (no rake) so is that the way the bike should be in its original config.

Picked up connie today and what a difference. Peace of mind coming to stop intersections, etc as didnt really have to worry if tip toes were going to hit a slick spot. Both feet solidly on the ground. And was able to place feet in front of pegs (before had to place them even with or slightly behind) Also seems like ride is quieter due to bike being lower to ground. Will need more riding to confirm. Shop did excellent job on side stand even repainted. Only minor issue is when bringing down the center stand sometimes the side stand wants to come down too but I always use the side stand when its up on the center stand. Will send pictures in couple of days for those that are interested.

From what the shop told me that *1 the bike will be level (*2 no rake) so *3 is that the way the bike should be in its original config.
I'm glad your happy with the work they did. That is what counts.

That statement is incorrect.
#1 The bike is now different than stock : Front is proportionally higher than the back.
#2 All bike's have rake.. (I think yours now has more rake than it originally had)
#3 If you lower the rear almost 2x the amount your lower the front,,, the geometry of the bike is different than stock.
NOTE: Do not lower the front more. If you do, the fender could hit the lower triple tree when the front suspension compresses.

NOTE: I am not saying what you have is wrong. {everyone has their own riding preference}
I'm just saying that the geometry is now different than stock.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: