• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lift

strum

I picked up this lift last week . Its a Titan 1000lb . Came with all the accessories.
  I had the bike up on it doing tests and setting things up . Its gonna be the best item  I've purchased for maintenance . no more laying on the floor!!

Attachments

• lift 1.jpeg
    lift 1.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 225
Very nice!  For anyone that doesn't have a lift, it's a game changer.  No standing on your head or crackling joints getting down on the floor and back up again.  I just have a harbor freight lift, not nearly as nice or as heavy duty as Strum's, but better than no lift at all.  The big dream is to have one like Strum's sunk down in the floor.  Maybe one day.  Congrats Strum! :beerchug:

when I worked in a Yamaha shop, back in the '70's, a Lift was not an option... as every shop was sooooo cheap.. I built lifts, out of plywood, and x4's to elevate the bikes I worked on.. after that, during the '80's, I built more, and robust ones, able to hold Harley's, and Goldwings.. they were still like primative things... bam... did a "trade" for service on a Cog mmber's bike. and as payment got a H/F lift.. as he spent meg$ on a similar big $ lift like the one o/P noted..

wow...
no more kneeling on the floor... crankling knees, man.. love my H/F.. it does what I ask of it, and if needed, and bike "onboard, in lowered" I can spin it in a circle, and access the rea i desire... it is a gret value product..

I can say truthfully, that when I was doing the
"MOB O-Ring Install, and study"  I had another of my bikes on the lift... pushed into a corner of my garage...

I spent many "PAINFUL HOURS" on the floor, to release the MOB o-ring, to COG... man, was that a dumb choice to do when I did it.. (not meaning the O-Ring thing... just my pain in releasing it) :mad: :mad:

rock on... lift's are the bomb..  :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :beerchug: :beerchug:

I ended up picking up a Condor chock at a very good price so the vise is gone and the chock is in .
  In the pic I had just rolled the bike up to try it and I have kind of over killed the tie down . Now Im rolling it into the chock and just using two straps on the rear subframe by the rear foot pegs. Really not needed but it gives me some peace of mind. I also tried using the center stand and no chock which work just fine.
You not kidding  MOB this is night and day better to work on the bike. Ill be diggin in pretty soon doing my exhaust .

Sometimes I leave  mine on the lift all winter for storage. I put it on the center stand. I run an angle iron across the legs of the Centerstand with a ubolt on each leg attached to the angle which I bolt to the lift. Maybe over kill but I have dropped a bike from it. Loosened the wrong strap first.

strum said:
I ended up picking up a Condor chock at a very good price so the vise is gone and the chock is in .
  In the pic I had just rolled the bike up to try it and I have kind of over killed the tie down . Now Im rolling it into the chock and just using two straps on the rear subframe by the rear foot pegs. Really not needed but it gives me some peace of mind. I also tried using the center stand and no chock which work just fine.
You not kidding  MOB this is night and day better to work on the bike. Ill be diggin in pretty soon doing my exhaust .

When I dont have the MC on mine it becomes an extra workbench
Currently has front end parts for the truck

I'm with MOB - my HF lift is fantastic. 

The only mod I would like to do is to get automated lift capability - push a button - lift goes up or down.

Then the angels sing . . . . .

Even so, I love it as it is.

Stasch said:
I'm with MOB - my HF lift is fantastic. 

The only mod I would like to do is to get automated lift capability - push a button - lift goes up or down.

Then the angels sing . . . . .

Even so, I love it as it is.

I was about ti go with a HF but I found this one locally at a good price.  I can see the HF is perfectly adequate.

In there ads, they list a couple different part numbers on the harbor freight lifts.  Does anybody know what the differences are and which models do you guys have...?  MOB..? 

Now that Ive gotten my exhaust installed and waiting in my ecu to come back from fla.
  Im gonna say I could have done this with out the lift but it would have sucked.
  Having things at eye level makes is the way to go.

konehead said:
In there ads, they list a couple different part numbers on the harbor freight lifts.  Does anybody know what the differences are and which models do you guys have...?  MOB..?

the one I have is an older version of this one;

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/motorcycle-atv/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

they have been made with some slight differences over the years, but are all basically the same.
I also changed the front wheel clamp, to one I pulled off another similar lift, that was a Bit more beefy..
I have a few of those front wheel "roll on" chocks, which are nice for use transporting a bike (I made pallets and attached them for use when I moved, and hauled 4 bikes in a rental cargo truck), but for use on the lift, they don't fit my needs, as when you put the bike on the center stand, to pull a rear tire off, the bike needs to "move" backward to get the C/Stand up...

I also have a couple "roll arounds" to make life manageable

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/motorcycle-atv/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html

HIGHLY recommended... with a couple cinch straps to prevent flip off...

you have to watch for the discounted sales for both the lift, and the dollies, and when they go on sale (about every 6 weeks or so) then grab them.. I have an outlet like 5 miles from me, so shipping isn't a concern..  but both those tools are surprisingly heavy....they dolly weighs like 70#, the lift is like 350#.... so bring a strong helper for loading...

I just bought a 08 c14 a couple of months ago and I have seen on other posts about clearance issues when loading onto a trailer.. So I am wondering if there is any clearance issues while loading on this lift.

I know MOB has same year bike, so MOB, what do you say.

A couple of weeks ago a HF lift popped up on FB marketplace for $100. It was gone in a few hours.  I hesitated to jump on it because my truck was in the shop  :mad:  and my concerns about clearance....but now I wish I would've found a way to make the deal.  :mad:

I have one of those I bought used.  The up function of the pedal wasn't working correctly when I had my HD on it.  I left the pedal depressed not realizing it and when I was backing my HD off, weight was removed, and the table began shooting for the sky.  By the time i got my Road King clearing the ramp I was straddling it like a horse.  Front came down and by the grace of God I didn't drop the bike.

Pay attention and keep air tool oil in that valve.

I've not had any clearance issues with any of the bikes.  Even the C10 that was lowered cleared everything ok.  I take the seat off and put some type of padding over the frame and ride them up on the lift.  :-\

Rideezdale said:
I just bought a 08 c14 a couple of months ago and I have seen on other posts about clearance issues when loading onto a trailer.. So I am wondering if there is any clearance issues while loading on this lift.

I know MOB has same year bike, so MOB, what do you say.

A couple of weeks ago a HF lift popped up on FB marketplace for $100. It was gone in a few hours.  I hesitated to jump on it because my truck was in the shop  :mad:  and my concerns about clearance....but now I wish I would've found a way to make the deal.  :mad:

No clearance issues whatsoever, I've had both my C14 and C10's on it, and also my old KZ1000Ltd.
I don't suggest riding it up on there tho...If you loose your footing, you can't reach the floor... I also make sure my seat is off whenever I roll it up onto the lift, along with both bags, and the trunk... just makes for better "emergency grab points" if you get tippy...

I actually made some floor boxes/outriggers, that I place alongside the lift on both sides for loading, and also for a place to "stand" when trying to get it up on the centerstand when on the lift... without them, it's really tough to get the leverage to rock the bike up while holding the C/Stand down with on foot...
Made them out of 2 X 6 x 5 foot long, with a top plate that is 18" wide, allows you to stand alongside the bike when loading it.. Once the bike is on, and happily "fastened" and lifted, I flip the boxes upside down, scoot them under the sides of the lift, and use them for tossing tools into... they come in handy especially if you drop a bolt or tool, it wall fall in the box. and not shoot across the floor into "the lost zone"....when removing plastic, I have dozens of those rectangular "Akro Bins" that I sit in the box, to hold the screws... that also helps prevent "kicking them or dropping them" off the lift, or across the floor... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Thanks for replies to clearance concern and also for all the other good suggestions on making getting the bike on the lift safer! :great: