• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lifting rear tire?

slowcat

With the front tire locked in to the wheel chock, is there a stable location a jack can be placed to lift the rear tire high enough to put down the center stand? I can with some effort put the bike on the center stand but doing so moves the bike to the rear of the lift and partially out of the wheel chock.

've read that the oil pan with a piece of wood between the jack and pan works. But?

bikepic.jpg

With the front tire locked in to the wheel chock, is there a stable location a jack can be placed to lift the rear tire high enough to put down the center stand? I can with some effort put the bike on the center stand but doing so moves the bike to the rear of the lift and partially out of the wheel chock.

've read that the oil pan with a piece of wood between the jack and pan works. But?

View attachment 28565

I would not attempt to jack up the rear portion of this motorcycle from the oil pan.

It looks like your "lift" has a removable section? If so, put your machine on centerstand, secure your front wheel to your satisfaction (or not...) and there should be enough clearance with that removable section removed to deal with R&Ring the rear wheel.

How about jacking from under the swing arm...?..using a bottle jack, so u could swing the centerstand down...

How about jacking from under the swing arm...?..using a bottle jack, so u could swing the centerstand down...
Thats what I did. I had a friend steady the bike as I slowly jacked it up and pulled the CS simultaneously. I wouldnt do it alone.

And I thought you were trying to trailer. Using a front Chock threw me.

Last edited:
I have the same lift and wheel chock. To pull the rear wheel off I first remove the moveable jaw of the chock (bike off lift of course) and then the bike can go up on the centerstand.

To get at the front wheel and/or forks I have the rear wheel installed and then run 2 straps from the grab rails down to the lift, pivoting the bike about the centerstand until the rear tire touches down. I put in eyebolts at the rear corners and midpoint of the lift for tiedown points, in addition to the loops on the front of the wheel chock. If raising the lift high, then I also add straps from the feet of the centerstand to a forward tiedown point to keep it from slipping as insurance when working with a tight bolt.

Still, a compatible Pitbull swingarm stand plus the wheel chock would be better than working from the centerstand.

I have the same problem when my bike is on the bench. I used a bottle jack under the swingarm.
Works ok, but not ideal.
NOTE: I have turnbuckles on the front wheel/bench to keep the bike steady.

So, I bought a bike stand to do the lift. Wasn't wide enough for a Connie so I modifed it to fit the bike.
Worked on the floor ok, but didn't work out as it's too wide for my bench and the wheels are too fragile.. "&%$^**@"
AIO MOTORCYCLE BIKE STAND SWINGARM UNIVERSAL RACING FRONT OR REAR WHEEL LIFT | eBay

Still looking for a better solution.
Just saw this. May add this type of wheels to my stand.
Motorcycle Sport Bike ATV Stand Front Rear Wheel Stand Combo Swing Arm Lift | eBay

Ride safe, Ted

Unless your working on Concours's a lot this is not cheep.
On my lift, i strap the front end down, by the lower triple tree. Then i use a small block of wood at the back of the oil pan, and a small floor jack.
Works perfectly fine, the pan is plenty strong enough to accomplish this

Unless your working on Concours's a lot this is not cheep.
On my lift, i strap the front end down, by the lower triple tree. Then i use a small block of wood at the back of the oil pan, and a small floor jack.
Works perfectly fine, the pan is plenty strong enough to accomplish this
Did you do this to get the centerstand down? Did it get wobbly at all? If I remember correctly when I lifted on the swing arm it got a bit wobbly. I have dropped a bike off a lift before (my stupid mistake) so I may be overly cautious.

Did you do this to get the centerstand down? Did it get wobbly at all? If I remember correctly when I lifted on the swing arm it got a bit wobbly. I have dropped a bike off a lift before (my stupid mistake) so I may be overly cautious.
When you strap the front down from the lower triple clamps, the bike will be stable enough to get the center stand down. I leave it strapped until the stand is down

Wood under the oil pan works well, I've done it dozens of times for the front tire removal. But for rear tire removal I find that under the shock works best. That old pic of the front shows wood under the drain plug. I've since moved the block of wood behind the drain bolt, and it spans the width of the oil pan.

Attachments

• 20200812_123115[1144].jpg
    20200812_123115[1144].jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0390[1145].jpg
    IMAG0390[1145].jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 184
I have the same lift. After riding the bike on the lift, I carefully dismount (without it on the side stand) and place it on the center stand. I use a similar temporary elevated side platform, and then I clamp the front wheel. At some point I know I need to purchase a proper lift or I am going to be found dead under my beloved motorcycle when my previously mentioned technique does not go as planned.

With that said, burial by my favorite motorcycle is certainly not the worst way to go. BTW I have also been looking at upgrading my lift to an Eastwood. Anybody with an opinion about this lift can certainly PM me (don't want/intend to hijack this thread).

Wood under the oil pan works well, I've done it dozens of times for the front tire removal. But for rear tire removal I find that under the shock works best. That old pic of the front shows wood under the drain plug. I've since moved the block of wood behind the drain bolt, and it spans the width of the oil pan.
Nice toy shop you have here! Very Jealous!

I ended up removing the Harbor Freight wheel chock and replacing it with the wheel clamp that came with the lift. It was very easy to put the bike up on the center stand and clamp the front tire into the vise. I didn't trust my ability to jack up the rear without tipping it over.

Attachments

• 20210211_124123.jpg
    20210211_124123.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 148
slowcat,

I had the same experience with an alternate wheel clamp and reverting to the one the lift came with. As for lifting the rear wheel, I choose to ride my bike onto the stand and carefully get off with the use of side ramps built with milk crates and boards to give me a wide enough footing to get off the bike safely and still be able to be stored away. Then I place the bike on it's center stand and after that clamp the front wheel down. The bike, of course, moves back a bit, however the wheel clamp still works well. For rear wheel issues, on my lift, there is a removable portion of the lift under the rear wheel. When I remove that there is no reason increase rear wheel clearance.

I hope this helps or that I did not understand the OP.