• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lining the inside of a Givi trunk

Has anyone come up with a good way to line the inside of a Givi trunk?  I've thought about carpet, but that seems to be a bit stiff.  I would just like to find something to line my Givi Monokey trunk to perhaps keep things from sliding around, and also to protect anything I might put in there.  I know they make bag liners, but I'm looking for something to line the trunk and leave in there.

I just stuff the trunk full, so stuff doesn't move around... :rotflmao:

But you can use that waffle type shelf and tool box foamy liner stuff, from home depot, or a autoparts store, cut it to fit, and add a couple layers, its thin, and grippy... I have a couple pieces on my truck dash board for stuff to keep junk from sliding around, but seldom have anything on the dash for more than a few minutes...

If you desire, you can even use a spray glue from a craftnshop, to stick the stuff in place once you decide on size and shapes, just lay the liner on a piece of cardboard, spray the backside, and stick it to the surface desired...

This is the stuff, they also have an adhesive backed one at bed bath and beyound..
85092c25-1ecc-445a-8372-94dd284b4e80_1.b382164ca20c3ed9ae308486507b740d.jpeg

Never thought about that for mine, but it's not a bad idea at all.
How about the carpet-like stuff they sell for speaker enclosures. It looks like carpet, but is not woven, and is very flexible. Another possibility is the cheap indoor/outdoor carper they sell at Lowe's that has no real backing. Also very flexible, and can be stretched.

I actually have some of that stuff in black that I've used in the bottom of tool box drawers.  I would think it should work well in this application with the use of a little spray adhesive.  That would solve the way it tends to slide on smooth surfaces such as tool box drawers or the bottom of the Givi trunk.  I may try that.

Marine carpet, the thin ribbed type. Easy to bend around and conform to stuff. Use it in my Honda top box. Glue it or loose lay it.

I line the bottom with a beach towel.  You never know when you come across a fine swimming hole for a refreshing dip.  :49:

Some auto parts stores, in the area around the floor mats, they sell a 'trunk liner" material in a roll, like 5 bucks?. Its real thin, easy to cut. My previous Connie I lined the inside of my saddlebag lids and the GIVI trunk bottom. Used headliner adhesive to hold it in place. I think I even saw some time ago the same stuff in Wally world auto section.

A while back we made some wooden boxes - some jewelry boxes and humidors...  just a learning exercise in hand-cut dovetails.  Looked nice and generated a real feeling of accomplishment, but I hope to never have to cut one of them again...

Anyway...

Some of them we lined with a spray-on flocking...  Looks like the felt on a pool table when done.  Nice finish, but very thin coating.  I'm not sure how it'd stand up to what it would be subjected to in a trunk though.  I think MOB's suggestion might be better, and would certainly be cheaper and hardier... but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Jamie

I bought a scrap piece of indoor/outdoor carpet at Lowe's that's pretty thin.  As it comes, it isn't quite as flexible as I need due to the backing.  I think it might be conformed to work with the careful application of heat from my heat gun and an extra set of helping hands.  I figure if it doesn't work out, I haven't lost but $2.  The wife even offered to help me conform it.  Going to give that a try when time permits.  My business has been taking up an inordinate amount of time lately, but that should subside this week.

I use oil absorbent pads that are used in shops and garages for spills. They are soft and pliable, easy to cut to fit the shape of the trunk. and cheap to replace if you have something spill in your trunk.