• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lithium Battery EARTH-X

jdsco

Shopping for a replacement battery for my 2016 C14. The oem YUASA FTZ-14BS shows no signs of age as yet but...

EARTH-X offers two battery models, same dimensional footprint but different performance features;

ETX18F $229.00 free shipping and has a "low voltage protection" feature that prevents total discharge, 6.2Ah discharge and 2330CCA

ETZ14C $259.00 free shipping and has NO "low voltage protection" feature. 6.8Ah discharge and 330CCA

They both feature top, center pos/neg terminals and "SHOULD" mount with the oem pos/neg cables.

The C14's battery compartment is tight. EARTH-X does sell an adapter for the terminals.

Does anyone have direct mounting experience with these EARTH-X batteries in the C14 battery compartment?

Last edited:
I have a SHORAI LFX21A6-BS12 , 315CCA, $230. I don't think it has a low voltage protection?? But it fit perfectly, a little room spare and it was super light 3lbs. ANTI GRAVITY makes a excellent battery ATX12 for our C14, made in the USA too, and it has low voltage protection. This will be my next battery

I have been running an EarthX ETX24C 24 aH version with 270 Cold Cranking Amps for 5 years on my 2011 C-14. Some will say it’s too expensive, but I saw value. I used the rationale that it will last at least 8 years, will not completely discharge if you leave the ignition on, has a really powerful crank, and is much lighter. I have had no issues including starting in cold weather. If I recall my installation, the battery size was the same as the original battery and I used the foam they supplied to make up the difference in the battery box since the height is less. The shorter height and center terminals made installation simple. I like it so much, it’s the next battery on my 2019 Verses LT 1000 SE Plus. I also purchased an Optimate 471 tender specially made for Lithium batteries

I posted a lot of info about this battery starting at reply #60

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/shorai-battery.10404/

The Lithium battery I brought at the last motorcycle show in Detroit lasted 10 years.
As far as I know it's still in the bike I sold 2 years ago. A lithium charger is good insurance.
Never had a fire as some had suggested.

Lithium-Ion batteries get a bad rap due to poorly manufactured batteries, not automotive power sports batteries. However, the EarthX is not a Lithium-Ion battery. It's a Lithium Iron battery that has no chance of catching fire. It even has 1000 amp short circuit protection built in. So don't worry about fires.

Here is link to the differences between the two types of batteries.

I have been running an EarthX ETX24C 24 aH version with 270 Cold Cranking Amps for 5 years on my 2011 C-14.
The shorter height and center terminals made installation simple.

That ETX24C is in my KTM, as well. The KTM's oem YUASA won't fit in the KAW battery box, too tall by 12mm.

The KTM's stator-reg/rec output behavior is "variable with elec load", 13.3 to 14.0v whereas my KAW behavior is "regardless of load", 14.2v.
Earth-X say that the KTM's charging behavior is acceptable at 13.4v
I like Earth-X because they're here, made in Colorado.

"jdsco" I originally wondered about how the charging system in the Connie would treat
a lithium battery. I guess it is compatible due to how long mine lasted. I also brought a
Battery Tender with a lithium setting and now I am wondering just what that is doing.
If with the old Connie charging system what is the difference. Inquiring minds want to know.

"jdsco" I originally wondered about how the charging system in the Connie would treat
a lithium battery. I guess it is compatible due to how long mine lasted. I also brought a
Battery Tender with a lithium setting and now I am wondering just what that is doing.
If with the old Connie charging system what is the difference. Inquiring minds want to know.
This could be a C-10 question? The EarthX has a battery management system BMS. It regulates the charge and balances the cells to charge evenly. I think the BMS would help it charge correctly. I know the battery works and charges fine in a C-14. It also handles and heated gear loads.

Just got the Jan issue of Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technology today and they have a very good article about Anti-Gravity batteries, how the company started and the some of the manufacturing info and how they work, they also have BMS (Batt Management System) on theirs, prevents overcharging and complete discharge so you always have enough reserve juice to start your bike a few times.

I have been running an EarthX ETX24C 24 aH version with 270 Cold Cranking Amps for 5 years on my 2011 C-14.

I posted a lot of info about this battery starting at reply #60

I just purchased two ETX24C's. One for the C14 and one for the KTM.
I live at 9000' and I have decided that since I can't ride NOV through FEB anyway, I'll just take the batteries out and store them inside.