• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lithium Battery

OMoaC

Have been running a lithium Batt for about 2 years now. Love it and never a problem. Light, small plenty of power. Rode to both the 18 and 17 Nationals without a problem. Last week at the SW E&M&G&R in Death Valley temps at night dropped down to the mid 30's. Don't think in the past the scoot has been exposed to overnight temps like that before with this setup. I know the lead batt didn't like cold. 14 hunney was slow to crank and start. She started but struggled. Going to check connections but pretty confident they are clean and good. After that clean cranks like normal. I've heard lithium batt's don't like the cold. Do I need the counterweight to knit a battery sock? Or after 2 years is the batt getting weak on CCA?

Idk what brand u have but when I had a Shoai they recommended turning the key on and waiting a bit like 10 or 20 secs to get the battery warmed up so to speak before cranking. I did that with my R1 and it worked ok. Hope this helps. I would probably load test it and check connections and grounds to eliminate that as well. Just my 2c. Good luck.

I have read the same thing. That type battery likes to warm up a tad before providing full power.
The battery should start to warm as you try to crank it.
Back off and try again.

I've had mine maybe 6 or 7 years. It's been in jet ski, my Triumph Tiger, my Concours and
wait for this a snowmobile. The snowmobile was just for a test. I have heard that about
them not liking cold. True, left out over night, it did not want to start. Turned the head light
on, dim at first then it brightened up after 30 or 40 second, then started up. The only
time I had a problem was at the Johnson city national where I was showing everybody
my vibrating seat, another story. Anyways ran the battery down, do not start the Concours
C-10. Gave a bit of trouble jump starting. Road the bike for maybe 5 minutes the battery
looked like it was fully charged, shut off for the night. In the morning started right up.

Not good for evading LEO.

Run out to jump on bike, have to wait a minute or so for battery to warm up, hit stove knob again and again, sweat pours from your forehead as you panic. Defeats the purpose of KIPASS.

You hosed.

I ran one on my Vulcan for a few years and people said if you let the bike sit for a couple minutes with lights and power on (maybe heated seat and grips) and it would help with first cold crank.

Yes - a disadvantage of the lithium batteries is that they lose cranking power in cold temps. You can "warm" them by drawing current for a few seconds, turning on lights is one method. Anyone who rides in cold temps is better off with a standard lead battery.

I got a stock battery and Sunday morning in Tecopa the bike took a little extra time for it to start. But if in doubt get one of those portable batteries as a backup. I carry one on the blue whale but have only used it on other bikes and once on a truck.

I got a stock battery and Sunday morning in Tecopa the bike took a little extra time for it to start. But if in doubt get one of those portable batteries as a backup. I carry one on the blue whale but have only used it on other bikes and once on a truck.
Aye. And keep your tire glue current :)

The Blue Whale?? LOL!