• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lodging Anywhere Near TWO

joer53

Well I piled my tent, air mattress, clothing, etc. up next to the Connie last night and danged if I see a neat way to get all that stuff tied on the bike.  I didn't have that problem with the KLR.  Anyway, I checked the website at TWO, nothing is available.  I looked online and I'm not familiar enough with the area to tell what lodging might be available close to TWO.  We've stayed at Helen, GA before but that was a while back.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a place nearby where I might be able to find a room at this late date.  TIA

If it fit the KLR it should be able to fit on a Connie. Maybe not so "neat" as you would like, but it should fit.

Maybe cut back on clothes? You can always do some hand washing in a sink at TWoS. BTDT. When on long-ish trips I only carry two or three changes of dry-tech type quick drying under wear, Tshirts, and socks, one pair of jeans, one pair of athletic type shorts, and one or two  long sleeve shirts. Yeah, stuff can get a bit grungy but hand washing.

Try a web search for how to pack a bike for camping, perhaps a video can help.

Because of the after ride bench racing and other goings on, it's really a drag to have to ride to a remote location for sleeping.

Perhaps post up to see if anyone has an opening in one of the cabins there?

You can rent a cooler at TWoS, so that could help. I think they are only a buck or two per day. Beer is available within walking distance.

Good to know, thanks for the reply.  One of my larger items is my folding chair, if I could leave that at home it would help, does TWO have seating outside?  Also I was wondering if they rent towels.  I went by TWO once several years back, they were closed at that time and I've never stayed there.  I've been camping up at Iron Horse in Stecoah.

There's a Forest Service campground about five miles away on 180, called Lake Winfield Scott. They had sites available on Saturday. You can check online and make a reservation. I think they have a bathhouse or two and it's a beautiful place. It's operated by a non-profit entity, but here's the website.

https://cfaia.org/recreation-areas-campgrounds/georgia-campgrounds-recreation-areas/lake-winfield-scott-recreation-area-campgrounds-in-georgia/

(edit: Just realized you're looking for lodging not camping. Call the chamber of Commerce in Blue Ridge. They used to do cabin rentals for their membership. They're in Fannin county, which is the next county up. Also, you could check Blood Mountain cabins (over 180 but a real haul in the dark) or the chamber of commerce in Blairsville to see if they have any suggestions.)

JoeR said:
Good to know, thanks for the reply.  One of my larger items is my folding chair, if I could leave that at home it would help, does TWO have seating outside?  Also I was wondering if they rent towels.  I went by TWO once several years back, they were closed at that time and I've never stayed there.  I've been camping up at Iron Horse in Stecoah.

Some folks arrive without a chair and go to a Wally World and buy a $6 cheapo disposable chair for the rally after arriving and maybe leave it behind for maybe the next rider or just trash it.

Too late, or maybe not but I use a chair similar to this. Quite comfy and very stowable in a saddle bag.

https://www.amazon.com/CUJMH-Ultralight-Portable-Lightweight-Backpacking/dp/B07V36Z7WX/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=camping+chair&qid=1567440747&s=gateway&sr=8-15

These usta be available for about $5 cheaper but apparently the tariffs caught up to them.

Thank you for your replies.  I got everything loaded.  It’s amazing how much these saddlebags hold.  I left my camping  stove and fuel out.  Looking forward to being at TWO Wednesday evening.  If memory serves, my chair is a WalMart cheapie.  I put my tent pegs and poles in its bag.

JoeR said:

There's (generally) seating on the porch/deck, but nothing around the  campfire ring. The Wally World in Blairsville is not too far away. I've just bungeed a folding camp chair across the passenger seat to the rack arms.

ron203 said:
JoeR said:

There's (generally) seating on the porch/deck, but nothing around the  campfire ring. The Wally World in Blairsville is not too far away. I've just bungeed a folding camp chair across the passenger seat to the rack arms.

Ron told me he found a way to keep from hauling a lot.
He always buys what he needs at a local Wally World near the camping area. {See his note above}
  He then returns it "for a refund" before he goes home.

A frugal Cogger, that Ron!!  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Hey "Ron"..  :nananana: :p

Yep. Busted. 

But, I had to start using a different name on my returns because convincing them that my name is Ted got impossible after a few bounced checks and funny money showed up. For some reason,  "Ted" is also on the customer blacklist  of n'er do wells and scoundrels that the whole company uses.... "Chuck" works pretty well though.....

Joe,
Really glad you got it all packed away...
I've arrived late to TWO, and those roads are no fun in the dark, with fog. Lodging would force you to ride out of there late at night; I would not recommend it.
I'll be doing this again this year, leaving work around 3 PM or so, and not looking forward to that part of the ride.
We've tent camped several times, and I tent camped one time by myself (Spider Ride); you're right, you can get a lot on that mule!

You can pack as much as you can pull.
And with a better power to weight ratio than a goldwing, that really means the sky is the limit.
file.php

I just cancelled cabin #2 if anyone still needs a cabin.  :'( :mad: :'( :mad:

It kills my soul to think I probably want make it. Will be the 1st one I've missed since joining COG.

Just Cliff said:

It kills my soul to think I probably want make it. Will be the 1st one I've missed since joining COG.
Bummer.

Just Cliff said:

Damn, sorry to read this.  :( Take care of yourself  :great: