• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lodging at the 2019 National

smooth_operator

I am considering finally attending a national next year. So I'm thinking of the pro's and cons of staying at the campsite or doing the hotel thing. May I solicit some opinions about each? If I do the camp thing I'll probably get some sort of cabin as I don't feel like toting a tent. I like camping but I also enjoy hotel stays.

Considering this would be my first national, I will probably be in high celebratory mood. Do people tend to be more social at the camps or the hotels? I also really like hanging out at a campfire. I assume this would not be an option at the hotel.

I'm not opposed to "roughing it" but I have grown accustomed to certain amenities when I'm travelling (read toilet in a room). While not quite ancient my body does enjoy some comfort after what would be a 6 or 7 hour ride to the rally.

I've been known to do some "tippling" after a day of riding.

If you've ever been to Beaver Island, MI this is also known as "Boodling"

Met some Michigan Coggers a few years ago but really don't know anyone except through the forum.

Your opinions please. :sign0085:

I like camping because I don't like hotels.Too many over too many years (for me). You might find more people to meet and greet at Rally Central than the campground. Most people stay at the hotel, visit, imbibe - some -  :rotflmao:  This rally camping area is 11-12 miles away and Googlemaps says it's 15-20 minutes drive each way.

We're debating the same question (hotel/camp?) at the moment.

(My camper has a toilet, shower, queen sized memory foam bed, kitchen, and garage. SWMBO does not do tents.) ;D

I really agree with you. Your description of your self sounds like someone I know.
And I agree the hotel probably won't allow camp fires in the room.
Most of us from Michigan are likeable and we sleep outside when ever we can.
Check back in January or so, that's when most decisions are made.

I met you back at the wrench session around Flint back in 13 Richard.  Yeah, I think the campsite would probably more my cup of tea. Let me know if anyone from Michigan decides to go. I usually ride alone but wouldn't be opposed to riding with a group out there.
Wasn't it you that had the vibrating seat to remind you when the blinker was on?

You asked for opinions, so, I'll be the one to say this.
    {The campers folks won't like me, but it needs mentioning}.

We prefer to Motel it.
  My old bones don't like sleeping on the ground, and the wife ain't gonna do it. Period!!
  So, "if we go", we stay in the Motel, and we "always" stay at rally central.

At other Nationals, camping may well be the best option for you.
  But, {as this is your first National} I suggest doing the same.

NOTE: I agree; There is not as much fellowship at the Motel at night, but there is a lot..
                      If you want the campfire and fellowship, go to the camping area.
                        Everyone {even me} is welcome.
                        {PS: If you want more fellowship when you go,,, bring some beer}.

Ride safe, Ted  {Let the flames begin},,,,,,,,,,

Ya, Smooth Operator, my seat vibrates! Someday I will get that fixed.
Will do, about letting you know. Did you make it to Stockbridge this
past Sunday?

my personal opinion, of the upcoming event, is do what you can afford.
Having done the camping, and the hotel, and the hotel next door, thing... pick one.
If you intend to drink... and I don't say this lightly... do not do the camping thing, and decide on site you wanna 'party yer azz off..', and I say this in sincerity. I don't want to see anyone in jail, or crashed out, because they "couldn't say no" to imbibing in front of the Hotel... which when I'm posed with the friends I've made, and stories are being told... will occur.
GAR UN TEEED... especially in PA., at this venue.
this is PA., weather is never a thing you can trust, we that have done this stuff here, will say toss a coin about rain, or shine.. and don't think 20 minutes later, it won't be raining.. just geographical odds.. but then, you could go all week without a hint of rain... there is a mountainous area right adjacent to the host town.. and those hills generate weather..

I would love to camp (I simply love camping all over PA) and the cost savings would be great, but this time I'm saving money, to be at rally central, or an adjacent (walking distance) one, to allow fun and frolic, without riding anywhere when the "blender starts whirring" so to speak... (it's a tradition... and we also pull all the furniture out of the lobby, and into the carport overhead in front... and never get kicked  out..)
Yet.

wait a while, see what avenues there are for affordable ( the host hotel IS very affordable, as venues go.. after seeing the past $$$ venues), and decide then.
I stayed at a nice hotel accross the street from the Johnson City rally, and could walk to hang with my pals in less than 5 minutes, and also had an AWESOME Thai restaurant in the hotel, coupled with a bar that served till the weeeeeee hours... I kinda liked it, as it was secluded, but very accessable... :great: :great:  Oh, and NOT having to listen to a bunch of early risers firing up bikes at 6:45 a.m., and idleing them for 15 minutes, while shouting back and forth about "where are we going...?", was .... priceless... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

the Campground is 20 minutes away...……..

The Genetti is a very nice venue in the heart of town.
Room rate includes FULL HOT BREAKFAST BUFFET. 
There are many restaurants, bars and attractions within walking distance of the Hotel.

The parking lot may not have a camp fire but it will have people enjoying adult beverages and playing stupid games like Giant Jenga!

You'll have fun wherever you stay.
jason

BOOK THOSE ROOMS/SITES

RWulf said:
Ya, Smooth Operator, my seat vibrates! Someday I will get that fixed.
Will do, about letting you know. Did you make it to Stockbridge this
past Sunday?

Nope, Had to work as usual. But I'm committing myself to make at least one Michigan event next year. Even if I have to get sick to miss work! (cough, cough( :great:

MAN OF BLUES said:
my personal opinion, of the upcoming event, is do what you can afford.
Having done the camping, and the hotel, and the hotel next door, thing... pick one.
If you intend to drink... and I don't say this lightly... do not do the camping thing, and decide on site you wanna 'party yer azz off..', and I say this in sincerity. I don't want to see anyone in jail, or crashed out, because they "couldn't say no" to imbibing in front of the Hotel... which when I'm posed with the friends I've made, and stories are being told... will occur.
GAR UN TEEED... especially in PA., at this venue.
this is PA., weather is never a thing you can trust, we that have done this stuff here, will say toss a coin about rain, or shine.. and don't think 20 minutes later, it won't be raining.. just geographical odds.. but then, you could go all week without a hint of rain... there is a mountainous area right adjacent to the host town.. and those hills generate weather..

I would love to camp (I simply love camping all over PA) and the cost savings would be great, but this time I'm saving money, to be at rally central, or an adjacent (walking distance) one, to allow fun and frolic, without riding anywhere when the "blender starts whirring" so to speak... (it's a tradition... and we also pull all the furniture out of the lobby, and into the carport overhead in front... and never get kicked  out..)
Yet.

wait a while, see what avenues there are for affordable ( the host hotel IS very affordable, as venues go.. after seeing the past $$$ venues), and decide then.
I stayed at a nice hotel accross the street from the Johnson City rally, and could walk to hang with my pals in less than 5 minutes, and also had an AWESOME Thai restaurant in the hotel, coupled with a bar that served till the weeeeeee hours... I kinda liked it, as it was secluded, but very accessable... :great: :great:  Oh, and NOT having to listen to a bunch of early risers firing up bikes at 6:45 a.m., and idleing them for 15 minutes, while shouting back and forth about "where are we going...?", was .... priceless... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Thx MOB, Your point about the early risers is well taken. :a012: I'm still up in the air about which way to go. But rest assured I won't be "tying one on" then switching locations to hit the hay. Not worth the hassle, danger and risk. Wise imbibers frown on such foolish activities. I've been around long enough to know when it's best to stay put. :06: :party0036: :motonoises: :beerchug: :great:

ron203 said:
I like camping because I don't like hotels.Too many over too many years (for me). You might find more people to meet and greet at Rally Central than the campground. Most people stay at the hotel, visit, imbibe - some -  :rotflmao:  This rally camping area is 11-12 miles away and Googlemaps says it's 15-20 minutes drive each way.

We're debating the same question (hotel/camp?) at the moment.

(My camper has a toilet, shower, queen sized memory foam bed, kitchen, and garage. SWMBO does not do tents.) ;D

I already made the reservation at the hotel.  ;)

Irene

I have made it I point to stay in Williamsport several times just to ride and enjoy the downtown food and vibe.  I did it again this weekend.  The riding in that area is superb, and it’s hard not to keep riding the same roads.  But there are so many choices, and it’s all good.  If you go north out of Williamsport, they just paved a long section of Route 973 to route 44, and going north from there is awesome.  I also tried a southern loop this time and found Routes 477, 192 and 445.  I’ll try to make up some loops for the national. 

I snapped this photo of the Genetti Friday, while having dinner across the street at the Moon and Raven Public House. 

genetti.jpg

Recently decided to make room in my schedule for Williamsport.  Really looking forward to meeting more great COG folk outside of the SE.  Since I grew up in the NE, also looking forward to getting back on some roads I haven't ridden since my 20s.

I will be tent camping.  Because camping with COG is awesome, and it will be an expensive trip from south fla to begin with.  I'd be spending way too much $$$ on booze and eats at RC/downtown.  Plus the florescent lighting of hotels makes me sleepy...more energy at the campground....IMHO.

Has anyone mentioned/used Uber in the area? I will be budgeting for some evening Uber trips to RC to meet/greet/partake. How bout cell service...Verizon?

Thanks  :beerchug: 

Shawn said:
Recently decided to make room in my schedule for Williamsport.  Really looking forward to meeting more great COG folk outside of the SE.  Since I grew up in the NE, also looking forward to getting back on some roads I haven't ridden since my 20s.

I will be tent camping.  Because camping with COG is awesome, and it will be an expensive trip from south fla to begin with.  I'd be spending way too much $$$ on booze and eats at RC/downtown.  Plus the florescent lighting of hotels makes me sleepy...more energy at the campground....IMHO.

Has anyone mentioned/used Uber in the area? I will be budgeting for some evening Uber trips to RC to meet/greet/partake. How bout cell service...Verizon?

"Cell Service" in Williamsport, PA may involve a tray of food, being slid under the bars into your lockup.....  :-\

Shawn said:

I'm sure there is Uber in Williamsport. I'll be there this weekend and test it.
Great idea.
jason

Hadn't thought of cabbing it back from the campground. Great idea! I think I'm just about decided.

an amusing side note. When we used to go camping as a family when I was a kid, my mom always had a question.

"do they have flush toilets? I'm not staying there if they don't have flush toilets" :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Still miss ya Mom. :engel016:

Stopped at the campground this weekend...……

Grass looks nice.

Walking distance to Pizza Shop, Convenience store, beer store and restaurant. this is in addition to the Bar/Restaurant onsite at the campground.

Nice backroad ride coming south out of the campground back to Williamsport.

Book those sites!
jason

I seem to remember at one of the rally's a courtesy van that provided transport to and from the campground and the hotel, Johnson City TN?, but I think it was only a one night deal for the rally dinner Saturday night.

Me and the woman are going to ruff it,,, trying to have her father bring his motor home to the closest campground for us!

Shawn said:
There was a courtesy van one night for the Backyar
d/Helen Nat.

There won't be a courtesy van organized by the rally team.

Those choosing to camp or stay elsewhere other than in town will have to make their own arrangements!

Jason

Shawn said:

Ill be at the campground as well. And will have my truck going back and forth at night. And Jen doesn't drink,,, 

Personally. I've done both, but for longer events, such as a National, I prefer a room...... and I've already reserved mine at the Genetti.

Oh yeah, the "Public House" caddy-corner from the hotel can be, uh, intoxicating.  :beerchug:

ConcoursKZ,
Very nice review. Thank you for taking time to share with everyone...……

The Genetti is an older property and the rooms vary greatly. You mention your room being small, one time we had a room that we could have square danced in!
Look at there website for more info.
http://www.genettihotel.com//accommodations/

The rooms back by the pool are more conventual Motel Rooms.

Don't be afraid to ask the front desk person questions about the different types of rooms.

BOOKS THOSE ROOMS.
jason

The Genetti is 1/3 Booked as of today, 2/17/19
BOOK THOSE ROOMS!
Jason

FYI
The Room rate at the Genetti is good for Saturday - Saturday for those wanting to arrive early or stay after the event.

Jason

FYI, as of 2/17/19 one third of the rooms at the Genetti have been reserved.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS!
jason

When I go to a national rally I like to stay at rally central.  Always seems to be something going on there.  I do love camping with my COG brothers and sisters by the fire, but for the national I feel like rally central is where I like to be.

COGnosticator said:
When I go to a national rally I like to stay at rally central.  Always seems to be something going on there.  I do love camping with my COG brothers and sisters by the fire, but for the national I feel like rally central is where I like to be.

AY Captain....

Rio-Ferdinand-TV-advert-rum-612502.jpg

I may have to buy your Christmas present early...
captain-morgan-leg-lamp-ft-blog1217.jpg

Any bets on where the on/off switch for that lamp is?

MAN OF BLUES said:
COGnosticator said:

AY Captain....

Rio-Ferdinand-TV-advert-rum-612502.jpg

I may have to buy your Christmas present early...
captain-morgan-leg-lamp-ft-blog1217.jpg

COGnosticator said:

Late to the party but this is good advice, I do the same.

I camped at the Canaan Valley Rally years ago, rained like a mo-fo most of the evenings.  Weather was nice for riding but the nights were a washout.