• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Long ride Costs???

warwgn

Mini Bike
So planning a big ride this summer with a friend and at this point I have the time off and should be able to easily keep enough time off on the books. First hurdle cleared, second is planning the route which has evolved to version 4.0 but looks like we are dialed in fairly close. Third is where to sleep, I got it set up for 2 nights with friends along the way and 2 nights at hotels, and the other 12 nights are camping so still will need to call and make reservations.

So most of the logistics are dialed in, now just got to figure out how to pay for the trip these are my figures:

Fuel $600.00  (35 fill ups at $15 bucks each then rounded up)
Food $650.00  ($40 a day for 16 days..10 for bfast and 15 for lunch and 15 for dinner average)
Campsites $300.00 ($40 a night x 12 nights but it's split between 2 of us)
Hotel $200.00  (each planned hotel is under $100 a night again divided by 2)
Nick Nacks $100.00  (Gotta get souvenirs and shit for the kids and my Girlfriend)
Emergency $500.00  (Replace a tire, tent, air mattress...etc)
MISC $200.00  (Should be enough for extra unknowns, tolls, ferry's...)
Margin $382    (added 15% to the total above as margin of error, fuel prices, extra taxes...)

So my question is does this seem like a good base to those that have done long rides similar to this? Or am I just way off in my thinking?

So just read this again and was wrong on days but leaving the totals as is, just extra cushion:

campsite will only need to pay for 10 nights
Staying with friends 4 nights, forgot we changed the plan after doing the budget
still 2 nights at hotel
and the last day I will be home

And we do plan to frequent as many Pubs while we are in the north, so your prolly right dinners may be more  :-[

Tips and sales tax? Go high on the fuel cost (summer you know). Tolls and ferry crossings?

ron203 said:
Tolls and ferry crossings?

Yep, at least 2 ferry rides right now, could do it without them but looks fun and not very long on them so why not. Hitting 21 states in the US and 4 in Canada and Prince Edward Island just because it would be a shame to be that close and pass it :)

Warwgn said:
So planning a big ride this summer with a friend and at this point I have the time off and should be able to easily keep enough time off on the books. First hurdle cleared, second is planning the route which has evolved to version 4.0 but looks like we are dialed in fairly close. Third is where to sleep, I got it set up for 2 nights with friends along the way and 2 nights at hotels, and the other 12 nights are camping so still will need to call and make reservations.

So most of the logistics are dialed in, now just got to figure out how to pay for the trip these are my figures:

Food $650.00  ($40 a day for 16 days..10 for bfast and 15 for lunch and 15 for dinner average)
Nick Nacks $100.00  (Gotta get souvenirs and s*** for the kids and my Girlfriend)
Margin $382    (added 15% to the total above as margin of error, fuel prices, extra taxes...)

So my question is does this seem like a good base to those that have done long rides similar to this? Or am I just way off in my thinking?

When I travel and sharing a room I budget $100.00 a day in the US and $125.00 in Canada.  If I am traveling alone then I budget $125.00 in the US and $150.00 in Canada per day.  This is for fuel, food and lodging.  I don't camp, but I expect you could lower the daily budget since you are.

I also carry very little cash, I do most all my purchases with a credit card.

On road trips I carry two credit cards; one in my wallet and one on the bike (along with extra cash on bike) in case wallet is lost or stolen.

Make sure you give your credit card companies a heads up that your card will be traveling. I forgot one time and got a primary card shut down.

I typically carry $100.00 a day for everyday I plan to be gone. Normally I come home with 1/2 to 2/3's of it. I don't buy nick knacks, always camp & fix many meals in camp. Always carry cash, I like to return home with no bill coming. I carry a credit card should a emergency arrive.

Works for me, but I'm a cheap B-----D!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
I typically carry $100.00 a day for everyday I plan to be gone. Normally I come home with 1/2 to 2/3's of it. I don't buy nick knacks, always camp & fix many meals in camp. Always carry cash, I like to return home with no bill coming. I carry a credit card should a emergency arrive.

Works for me, but I'm a cheap B-----D!

I like the way you plan. I was planning about the same, starting with your place this April and then doing 2 to 3 more weeks around the SW.

Beer in Canada is not cheap. Plan accordingly.

You camping numbers are probably a bit high for Canada. The conversion rate really helps for this.

Gas is also spendy up there.

Consider swinging through Campobello on the NB/ME border. Nice provincial park on the NB side nearby. Then there are two ferry rides into mainland NB. Way pretty going through there.

Seems reasonable.
Some items may be overestimated, but that's good as it will be a happy surprise if you spend less.
You will spend roughly $10-15 per day on little things along the way, like snacks, bottled water, Gatorade, etc. Not worrying about spending on these little things will help you get them, you will stay more alert, better hydrated, and enjoy the trip more.
Depending on where you are going, you may want to get a toll road transponder. Getting money/change in bad enough on a car, but on a bike... get a transponder. We did for a couple of long trips going into New England area, and were VERY glad we did.

Then.. ENJOY!!!

So... where is the trip?

Jorge said:
Seems reasonable.
Some items may be overestimated, but that's good as it will be a happy surprise if you spend less.
You will spend roughly $10-15 per day on little things along the way, like snacks, bottled water, Gatorade, etc. Not worrying about spending on these little things will help you get them, you will stay more alert, better hydrated, and enjoy the trip more.
Depending on where you are going, you may want to get a toll road transponder. Getting money/change in bad enough on a car, but on a bike... get a transponder. We did for a couple of long trips going into New England area, and were VERY glad we did.

Then.. ENJOY!!!

So... where is the trip?

All good advise.

going from Mississsippi east to the coast then north to Nova Scotia, see Oak Island, Ride the Cabot trail then back down catch ferry to Prince Edward. Then make our way up to Gaspe and along the coast and catch anothe ferry across to Baie comeau then ride across Canada on 167 and 113 to moonbeam Ontario, keep going west and back into the US on the other side of Lake Superior into Minnesota then back south to Mississippi. Taking 2 weeks vacation time but the ride will take 16 days, the other guy going likes to stop and see things, but that is why I invited him to slow me down, when I am alone I barely look to the side of the road and only stop for gas.

Should be a fun trip with lots of cool stuff, route has us go through 21 US states and 4 in Canada.

I'll save the adventure rides for. when I am retired or dont have time and money constrains. 25 states and 7000 miles in 16 days takes a little planning and prep. Have to coordinate staying with 3 different friends and also being in Missouri on the right day for a meet n greet, so had to figure a few thing out. Of course it's all just a plan, once we are on the road you gotta go with the flow and plans can change along with routes.

Warwgn said:
Jorge said:
Seems reasonable.

Then.. ENJOY!!!

So... where is the trip?

All good advise.

going from Mississsippi east to the coast then north to Nova Scotia, see Oak Island, Ride the Cabot trail then back down catch ferry to Prince Edward. Then make our way up to Gaspe and along the coast and catch anothe ferry across to Baie comeau then ride across Canada on 167 and 113 to moonbeam Ontario, keep going west and back into the US on the other side of Lake Superior into Minnesota then back south to Mississippi. Taking 2 weeks vacation time but the ride will take 16 days, the other guy going likes to stop and see things, but that is why I invited him to slow me down, when I am alone I barely look to the side of the road and only stop for gas.

Should be a fun trip with lots of cool stuff, route has us go through 21 US states and 4 in Canada.

Bummer on your routing, you're gonna miss the goose in Wawa.

TIC-Goose.jpg

Looks good.  I find Canada travel, like the others, to be bit more expensive - but it's so nice there and the drivers (at least in western Canada) are more fast bike tolerant than in the western US!

I'd plan on a couple more nights in hotels, since camping in the rain is no fun.  I've yet to make a camping reservation, always going by luck and chance, but it's been decades since I camped beyond the west, so I've no current knowledge of whether this is advisable in your destinations.

Post up a trip report with a few photos ??

will do, report is easy, pics are hard since photobucket went crazy, that and the last trip I took up to Niagara and back over. a 4 day weekend I only managed to take 17 photos over 17 states and 2500 miles. I am not a big stop and take pics guy but I will get ateast 25 or so.

Put google photos on your phone and computers.  Besides free photo backup and sync, you can share photos like you did with photo bucket.

Sounds like a good ride.
I agree with a basic plan. No plan, you have no idea where you are. Something comes up that you think you'd like to make an extended stop, you can make the choice and compare it with what you will miss. No plan, you end up stopping and sometimes regretting because you missed something you really wanted to visit.
BTW... my wife and I have been on trips as long as 11 days (not camping) and all fit into the saddlebags, and about 1/3 of a round duffel bag on the luggage rack - yes, she can pack light  :great:

Well getting close only a month out, time to get the bike ready. I have a new front tire on the way, wheel bearings front and rear, brakes front and rear, and a new filter and oil. All that should show up this week so can get it done this weekend and ride it a few weeks to make sure the bike is good to go with no surprises. Route has continued to evolve and change, at least the first few days, didn't think about the traffic issues of memorial day along the east coast so will cut north much earlier and skip Delaware and New Jersey all together, heading up through the western side of Virgina to pick up the BRP and then 81 on up to Harrisburg PA area.

Anyway, starting to get excited but also wondering what all I am forgetting?

On my last long ride, like around 9 hours in the saddle, I just gave up plans for meals.
Instead, at every gas stop, I had ice cream.

That was the best decision ever.

All I could think of between gas stops was my next ice cream.
It was just the right amount of rest and nurishment I needed to keep going.
The Camelbak kept me hydrated.

Great idea Harry!!
You just had to ride fast to make the fuels stops sooner so you could just stay on the sugar high :great:

Another thing to think about is the type of meals that you eat during the day while riding. Don't eat burgers and fries for lunch or other heavy food, instead have a salad. About an hour after eating the heavy food you will start to get sleepy on the bike. Not good!  :-\ Your system is working overtime to break down your lunch. Remember what happens to you at work after a big lunch! The drowsies set in. With a salad, your body doesn't work extra hard to break down your lunch and you don't get the drowsies. I read this in one of my magazines long ago and it does work. But, those burgers and fries are sure tempting. Have a really good supper instead. Enjoy your ride and come home safe.  ;)

When I'm traveling I eat actual meals only twice a day. Get up and get going for a while and then have a big late "breakfast", maybe some snacks/trailmix when I stop for stretching and/or beverage (non-alcoholic) and then later an evening meal. We get by with less expense and more available time to do things or travel time. I'm not a "food conneseour" (where's spell check when you need/want it?). I enjoy good food but basically can eat to live, not live to eat.
Everything is expensive in Canada, other than camping. Enjoy the trip.

Warwgn said:

Nick Nacks $100.00  (Gotta get souvenirs and s*** for the kids and my Girlfriend)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Your trip sounds great!
I’m making an east coast loop as well. Should be in Nova Scotia/Cabot trail area may 20th to the 23rd.
I’m heading to Newfoundland then back to Ottawa area via the trans Labrador. Similar to another member here, rick3foxes I think?
My budget looks similar to yours. But gas is $1.50/litre right now.
Cheers, john

not much longer now. Got the tires, wheel bearings, brakes, reaer diff, and the K&N drying so can oil it tomorrow, cash in the bank and about all that is left is practice pack the bike to see what all fits and how. this time next week I will be in PA after a day on the BRP. cant wait but seems like I still have a lot to do.

Fuel Estimate  $600.00  (35 fill ups at $15 bucks each then rounded up)
      Actual      ($579.34  35 fill ups at $16.55 each on average. 152.9 gallons total)

still have not figured out the rest, but I am shocked I came in at exactly 35 fill ups :great: that was a damn good guess!!

35 days, 7530mi, 30 nights in rooms, new tires and fork seals on the road and I ate to much and enjoyed myself.
$170 a day average.  More like $130 without the service

smithr1 said:
35 days, 7530mi, 30 nights in rooms, new tires and fork seals on the road and I ate to much and enjoyed myself.
I travel a bit more frugally. Current trip will be about 110 days.

On TDY near Torrey UT

SteveJ. said:
Bummer on your routing, you're gonna miss the goose in Wawa.

TIC-Goose.jpg

My gramps used to take my Pops and the fam to Wawa and Chapaleau every summer. I am going to have to make it up there sometime

I have to agree with jettawreck, breakfast and dinner, with snacks(trail mix) and Gatorade during the day. Camping is the cheapest way to travel. I have gotten campsites as low as $4 per night, and never paid more than $32. Did 19 western states in 19 days last August, 7000 miles. Your estimate for gas at $15 is a bit low, unless you don't take advantage of your bike's range. Mileage will be better in states where you can get non-ethanol gas. I carry my camping gear in an old Navy seabag strapped onto passenger seat, and I believe having the seabag has saved me e few speeding tickets, as many in law enforcement are ex-military. 

Rastus said:
I have to agree with jettawreck, breakfast and dinner, with snacks(trail mix) and Gatorade during the day. Camping is the cheapest way to travel. I have gotten campsites as low as $4 per night, and never paid more than $32. Did 19 western states in 19 days last August, 7000 miles. Your estimate for gas at $15 is a bit low, unless you don't take advantage of your bike's range. Mileage will be better in states where you can get non-ethanol gas. I carry my camping gear in an old Navy seabag strapped onto passenger seat, and I believe having the seabag has saved me e few speeding tickets, as many in law enforcement are ex-military.
And dispersed camping is free. I've only paid for camping two nights in the last three weeks. At least the next week will also be free near Winter Park, CO.

Full disclosure, traveling in a Roadtrek camper van with a shower although water access can be found for a bucket bath at a lot of locations.

On TDY near Torrey UT

smithr1 said:

My 24 day, 9,800 mile Canada/Alaska trip I took last month averaged $79.00 a day. 4 nights in a hotel & 19 camping with at least 50% of meals fixed in camp. Gas, food & beer is pretty much double the price it is here.

For comparison I just returned from 5 days in NC. All camping, average was $62.00 a day.

I couldn't afford to travel with you Bob!  :)

Just calculated my long ride costs.  :motonoises:
"Alp's Rally"; 21 days of riding in Europe.
    (6000 kms/3800 miles) Mostly in the mountains of Italy/Switzerland/Austria, mostly staying in Motel's, borrowed bike,
      assistance from great Eu. friends.

$180 per day {including flight's/lots' of great European beer/and $7.00-$8.00 per gallon for fuel  :-[}

Ride safe, Ted