• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Longest Rostra install

Konehead34

well, after 3years and 5 months i finally finished my Rostra cc install, that i bought from matt off the forum.  Not that there was anything wrong with it, just that life and moving from outside of chicago to guyton georgia just got in the way.  In the grand scheme if things from start to finished if i were to total it up it would be about 20 hours. 

For anyone who's interested in doing this themselves, theres a wealth of info out here on the forum, but the single most important bit of info out there is fred harmons color coded schematic diagram.  Savedd my alot of head scratching. 

When i finished wiring it up (or so i thought) i expected to see the 'on' light activate when I hit the on button.  No dice.  Turns out i missed connecting the white and blue wires. BINGO. Powers up, but no brake relay activation.  Back yo.the schematic diagram and oops connected a couple wires to switched power not ground  duh!!!  Now were cooking with gas!! Yee ha. Put into diagnostic mode and every checks out except  vss.  Turns out the posi-tap didnt pierce the insulation.  An adjustment later and everthing checks out. 

Totally blown away!!!  Smooth take up and i had originally forgotten The parts i read about the accelerate button.  Press and hold until.u get to your desired speed and release.

If someone askes me was it worth it and would you do it again?  Sure is and sure would...  sure was fun doing it in the southern heat of south georgia....as oppsed to the below zero chicago winter. 

...and for those curious enough to ask, i mounted mine on the right side, and ran the cable to the rear.  I was able to.mount the unit  and have enough room to velcro my auxiliary fuse panel to the top and  have it fit under the right side black panel.

Yup.
To date, still the most complicated install i've done on the C14.

Couldn't have done it without help from the forum.

It's a great addition to the bike.  Too bad it's STILL not an integrated part of the Electronics.

I fear the C14 will be gone before that gets updated.  ::)

Glad you finally finished yours!  :beerchug:

gr

Good to hear you got it successfully installed.  :great:

I was talking with an old friend a couple weeks ago that I had not talked to in years -  :??: He has given up riding bikes and parked his 2006 FJR1300 and said I can have it if I want it - probably free or next to nothing. He still has a 1987 FJ1200 (with the carbs off in in a box) he told me to come get out of his garage when he bought the FJR!  :-[  He said the FJR has 9K on it and he has not started it in over 3 years  :eek: His FJR was a pre-cruise model so he picked up an Audiovox cruise for it that is new in the box, but he never got around to installing it. He told me to take the Audiovox cruise with me for my Connie the next time I visit. I really need to go see him!

Back in the day when I was a struggling USAF member I worked part-time in town at a car stereo shop. They did aftermarket installs on new and used vehicles for all the car dealers in our valley. My specialty for them was security systems, door locks, and cruise controls. We tried a few brands and settled on the Audiovox so I am quite familiar with it and thought is was simple to install. Simple - if you do it all the time I mean.  ;)

Now it was close to 30 years ago but i still recall it was 4 wires, a vacuum source, the pre-wired control connector, and the linkage to the throttle body/carb. The wires were power, ground, tachometer, and brake as I recall. On a Connie, I think the real challenge would be locating the tachometer connection (coil output), creating a safe throttle linkage that does not interfere with normal throttle function, and placement of the parts like the control panel. As I recall the main unit (a vacuum diaphragm inside a plastic case) was small and fairly compact for a car, but on a bike is would be pretty big and hard to place in the limited space available.  I wonder if there was a motorcycle specific model or does everyone use the universal automotive system? I guess I'll know which when I go pickup the one offered by my buddy.  :great:

I'm don't know anything about a Rostra (unless it had a different name like Clarion in those days) because I never installed one, but the connections seem the same across the brands that I have installed.It makes sense they would all need the same info to work properly. Power - engine/vehicle speed source - brake - vacuum - throttle connection - ground.  :motonoises:

Enjoy the cruise and I'm here if you need any help with it. I'm not a Rostra expert, but they all work the same way so I probably can help if there are any issues with it.  :beerchug:

Take care,
Jon

It’s the last item I want done to my Connie but I’m probably gonna pay to have it done otherwise I will hold the record for longest install 😂😂😂

JJ