• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for: (2) 1.0 thread pitch float bowl drain screws

Stasch

I need 2 of the 1.0 thread pitch drain plugs, preferably the 5mm hex heads, but 3mm will work.

Additional info:

I recently learned 1986-1990 ZG1000 parts fiches show Float Bowl drain screws as M6x1.0 and the 1991 and up show BOTH M6x1.0 and M6x.75.

Sounds like 1991 and up C10's can have either, and may have 5mm OR 3mm hex head ?????

The .75 threaded screws seem to have 3mm hex head.

I was looking at the parts diagrams and not seeing a drain screw with hex heads. What am I missing here?

EDIT: I looked at a later year (2000) and found it:

So it looks like both sizes are available here.

Last edited:
I was looking at the parts diagrams and not seeing a drain screw with hex heads. What am I missing here?
I am using the term 'hex head' for allen head bolts which is probably incorrect, sorry for the confusion.

Better to have said hex drive ? Anyway, like the following pic showing 3mm heads. There were also coarse 1.0 thread drain screws with 5mm heads over the years of the C10.

_Coarse_or_fine_threads_A.JPG

I am using the term 'hex head' for allen head bolts which is probably incorrect, sorry for the confusion.

Better to have said hex drive ? Anyway, like the following pic showing 3mm heads. There were also coarse 1.0 thread drain screws with 5mm heads over the years of the C10.

View attachment 34488
I'm currently going through this rebuilding the carbs on my 2002. It appears I have some of each, and has a spare carb that also has several different types of drain screws, but all either the 3mm or 5mm drive (no screw-heads). Some of them are kind of mangled (PO using the wrong-size allen wrench, I suspect). I guess I need to measure thread pitch and figure out which ones I have.

K&L makes replacements for both thread, but only with screwdriver heads. I got used to the allens on my 600 (with the same carbs), but it probably doesn't really matter. I just need to pick one so I don't have to switch 2 or 3 bits on my long driver handle for a carb drain.

Are you still looking for some of these? If I go through and get a matching set of new screws, I may have some useable old ones left.

Yes I am - I am down to only needing 1. But a spare or two isn't a bad idea either.

If you have a mix of both kinds of thread pitch, the coarse is real easy to spot.

Let me know!

Will do. I need to see if my bike has a mix of carb bowls, and if I can swap them with my spare parts to get the same ones. I need to do a full carb rebuild, and am going to install overflow tubes while I'm at it (I was going to have Steve do them, but he says that since the shop fire, he doesn't know if/when he'll be offering that service again).

I'll try to remember to let you know once I've sorted out my carbs. Might be a few months, as it's on my long list of winter projects getting this new bike gone over before springtime here in the Midwest.

I still need to pull the carbs on my bike to get a closer look and see what combination of bowls I'm going to use to get a matched set, but wow, the ones on my spare parts carb bank have all the options! Both types of screws, and two different bowl bodies for the small screws (one that has a deeper pocket that hides the screw, and another shorter one with the head exposed. And of course, someone also put them on in the wrong places, haha. I've only poked at these carbs a bit, but it appears a ham-fisted mechanic worked on them. I popped the diaphragm cap on one, and the spring was nearly worn through at one place in the middle, due to rubbing on the inside of the slide because the spring was installed with a kink in it.

My 600 has the 0.75mm pitch screws with exposed heads on all four carbs, and all of them pointing to the right. I'm tempted to see if I can swap two spare left-hand bowls for easier access. As it is now, when I drain the carbs (which I do for winterization or longer periods of sitting), I use a really long driver handle with hex bit to reach.

BTW, for anyone else interested, the 1mm pitch screws have a little sealing O-ring, while the 0.75mm screws do not. I don't know that it really makes a difference, although if you have overflow tubes and a drain tube manifold, I guess it ensures you don't get an errant drip of gas seeping out the threads when you drain them. Not like that hurts anything anyway, though.

If anyone does need new screws and doesn't want to pay $10 each from Kawasaki, K&L makes replacements for both, but only with screwdriver heads. Here's the cheapest I've found online for the 1.0mm version (they made me an offer for $25 after I watched them): https://www.ebay.com/itm/175864348402

PXL_20231207_203945580.MP (1).jpg

BTW, for anyone else interested, the 1mm pitch screws have a little sealing O-ring, while the 0.75mm screws do not. I don't know that it really makes a difference, although if you have overflow tubes and a drain tube manifold, I guess it ensures you don't get an errant drip of gas seeping out the threads when you drain them.
I've seen it quite often where a set of ZG1000 carbs have those recessed pocket holes on one side of the carb bank, and non-recessed holes with the raised edge on the other side.

That (left) carb bowl by the idle adjust cable would make it fun to get at while on the bike!

Interestingly enough, the orings were not on all the 1mm pitch screws over the years - seems they came and went reasons unknown to me.

If you think someone ham fisted that carb set, check /test those bowls for cracks. Sometimes people overtighten those drain bolts and crack the bowls, rendering them useless. I bought an Ebay set years ago where all 4 carb bowls were cracked like that.

I have a collection of carb parts of just about everything including:

carb bodies​
carb caps​
left and right carb bowls (I think all .75 pitch)​
diaphram / piston springs​
lots of various screws​
The only thing I don't have any more of are those 5mm hex head 1mm pitch drain screws.
1702039252040.jpeg
IMG_8678.JPG

FYI, after going through my carbs and my spare set, it doesn't look like I have any extra of the 1.0mm pitch factory hex-head screws. It looks like that what was originally on my bike, but one bowl was swapped from the spare carbs, so after swapping to their proper homes, I have just four of them on my carbs. Best I can tell, that bowl isn't cracked or damaged, so I don't know why it was no longer on the bike (maybe he did instead of replacing the gasket?).

I do have some spare partially-buggered small 0.75mm allen-head screws, though. Probably not a valuable commodity there, though, lol.

I need 2 of the 1.0 thread pitch drain plugs, preferably the 5mm hex heads, but 3mm will work.

Additional info:

I recently learned 1986-1990 ZG1000 parts fiches show Float Bowl drain screws as M6x1.0 and the 1991 and up show BOTH M6x1.0 and M6x.75.

Sounds like 1991 and up C10's can have either, and may have 5mm OR 3mm hex head ?????

The .75 threaded screws seem to have 3mm hex head.
are you still looking for the item?

contact coveyeva6@outlook.com