• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for Coolant Temperature Radiator Sensor: FOUND

cragantler

So in the midst of my spring project, yet another mod comes to mind. Like most, it only makes sense to me not SWMBOšŸ˜
Iā€™m looking for a coolant temperature sensor that threads into the radiator. Doesnā€™t even have to work. Donā€™t want to mangle my existing one in case this doesnā€™t work out. Looking to trim the sensor down a bit for when I go 1/2 nakedšŸ˜³
Thought of using a plug but didnā€™t know if that would be doable, w/o leaks or dielectric concerns.
So if you have an old, busted one kicked around, let me know what youā€™d want for it. Shipping to 28792
Thanks, Doug 8F439933-ADB9-4FEB-B078-0C286A22B988.jpeg

So in the midst of my spring project, yet another mod comes to mind. Like most, it only makes sense to me not SWMBOšŸ˜
Iā€™m looking for a coolant temperature sensor that threads into the radiator. Doesnā€™t even have to work. Donā€™t want to mangle my existing one in case this doesnā€™t work out. Looking to trim the sensor down a bit for when I go 1/2 nakedšŸ˜³
Thought of using a plug but didnā€™t know if that would be doable, w/o leaks or dielectric concerns.
So if you have an old, busted one kicked around, let me know what youā€™d want for it. Shipping to 28792
Thanks, Doug View attachment 35168
If no luck See Ebay link - $3.99 +SH/H.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Ok,,, Inquiring minds wanna know.
What's the mad scientist experimenting with?

Ride safe, Ted
Just trimming the plugs off to the ā€œnutā€ to give it more of a flush look on the radiator. May work, May not, but one never knows until you try.
šŸ˜šŸ˜

And for those wondering what I was going to do with the sensor. Behold:
Iā€™ve trimmed off the plugs. Smooth as can be.šŸ˜Ž
FB703E07-5728-47BE-8F2E-9C665B939250.jpeg

I have had my fan switch fail 2 times. I made a jumper for the switch connections and had to pull the fan fuse for every overnight / shopping stop. I have added a blue LED indicator light that tells me when the fan is running. If the temp starts climbing and the light doesn't come on I know something is wrong. I now carry a jumper that I can put between my added fuse block and the fan fuse so it will come on with the key. It is better to have it run all the time than not at all.

20180720_123926.jpg

The jumper came from a truck stop and is a replacement connector for running lights with medical tape from our first aid kit. I worked as a roadside repair in the middle of a 21 day ride.

20180720_123708.jpg

On my 86 I kept the coolant sensor hooked up so that the fan operated automatically.
But I as concerend with the temps I saw on that bike, so I initially added a switch on the dash.
The problem was that the fan could run continuously if the switch was left on (and drain the battery).

I fixed that by adding a relay (with the power for switching coming from a keyed source).
I also had a light that told me when the fan was powered on.

Bottom line; Mine was automatic, but I could override the temp sensor if I wanted,,, and the battery wouldn't be drained if I left the switch on.
Yes: I know I over engineered it.

Ride safe, Ted