• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for suggestions on a taller windshield

nickrides

Hi Gents
I've got a 2014 C-14
I've got problems with my eardrums and sometimes I've just got to get my head completely out of the airflow.
I use earplugs, but....
Any suggestions on a taller wider windshield please. Maybe tinted too.
I think I need to go roughly 4-5 inches taller than stock and keep the vent.
Thanks in advance!

I use an Aeroflow and at only part way up the wind goes over my head. Best one I've found.

I have a Puig and its 17in. tall and about 1in wider on both sides. I am 5'8" and all the way up, I am completely behind the screen. No vent though, but does have smoked option.
An other one I am looking at is on "Project D" website.
I hear "California Scientific" has one thats like a wall.

With windshield threads, it's really important to understand that everybody is sized differently in the torso and height.  Add to that, bar risers, seat height, and other factors -- you're adding in alot of variables that will make your experience different than those who offer advice on windshields.

That said, there are several that make  taller screens, such as Calsci, Puig, Aeroflow?, and a few others.  I think Cee Bailey is no longer making screens, but you can find a few used in the Classifieds.

Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples on YOUR personal dimensions before pulling the trigger on a screen.  But in the end, you'll only know it works for you by putting in ON your bike and testing it on the road.
Just like a helmet.

I personally have a Calsci WIDE XL, which I believe is THE widest tallest screen out there. 
I use this screen as my cold weather shield. The best part of it, is it keeps cold wind off my hands and arms.
I'm 6'1" with a reasonably proportional torso/leg split (32" inseam), I have 1.75" risers, and a custom Baldwin saddle.
Even on the tallest setting, I cannot find a bubble of silence.  I also wear 33db earplugs 100% of the time.
AND, I wear an Arai full face SignetX lid.

I am eventually going to try an MRA Vario with Madstads, and hopefully that will end my search for a perfect dome of silence and turbulence.

good luck
gr

Have you thought about possibly adding the clamp on MRA wing?  Its roughly about 5 inches tall, clamps on to your existing screen, and has a small amount of adjustablity....

Have one on my national cycle screen and I only have to raise the screen a couple inches for smoothness and quiet.  I'm 5'10" 30" inseam with 2" risers and AST offset plates..

ghostrider990 said:
I personally have a Calsci WIDE XL, which I believe is THE widest tallest screen out there. 
I use this screen as my cold weather shield. The best part of it, is it keeps cold wind off my hands and arms.

Hmmmm... I was wondering how theirs would work -- on a Harley batwing fairing I discovered quite by accident (got a different windscreen than I thought I wanted) that at least in that configuration, width seem to do at least as much to stabilize the air-bubble as any height (I don't like windscreens I have to look through),  It wasn't truly short, but probably 2-3" shorter than stock but at least 4" wider on each side... loved that combination summer or winter, and really was excellent in the rain, so the CalSci XL-series caught my attention...

At my height, I only have to look THROUGH the Calsci XL Wide, at full UP.

Not a fan of that either, but on the highway, it's not the worst thing. What I DON'T like, is that it literally breaks my line of sight at the top of the screen line, and sadly - still doesn't provide a buffet-free ride OR a silent air pocket.  In the twisties, it HAS to come down.

In most cases, I find with both the stock AND the Calsci, is that I get smoother quieter air when I have the screens lower, and with some amount of air flowing over and past the screen and onto my face/torso.

Not ideal.  But again, this is ALL subjective.

gr

ghostrider990 said:
I find with both the stock AND the Calsci, is that I get smoother quieter air when I have the screens lower, and with some amount of air flowing over and past the screen and onto my face/torso.

Not ideal. 

Yes -- I've got a CeeBailey as well as a National Cycle, and both have their strong points, but I find the best place for either of `em as at the bottom... One thing I am beginning to really miss from the C10 is that unfinicky air-bubble even with shorter screens (had the shortest Rifle and it was near to perfect as I can imagine).  But I think I may give the CalSci  a whirl for winter riding and see what gives...

The CalSci shield is more of a straighter design and channels more air over your helmet. I like their website because it has articles about the science of wind around a motorcycle and rider, something I have never seen on other windshield sites.

Jim Snyder said:
The CalSci shield is more of a straighter design and channels more air over your helmet. I like their website because it has articles about the science of wind around a motorcycle and rider, something I have never seen on other windshield sites.

Not to bag on what you're saying Jim.....but all the science in the world won't clearly define how a screen works for an individual rider.  That being said, I bought into Calsci's logic as well.  ;D

This becomes a very subjective issue with each person, simply because of all of the variables that effect airflow and comfort.
This is why the swapping of windshields between members was such a great thing.

haven't seen that happening lately - but if you can wrangle a "free test ride" from another member with a few screens, it may be worth the price of shipping.  :beerchug:

gr

Dcstrng: PM me if available Monday 11-Nov.  I’m Philli area, sure we could find some nice roads in between us to meet up in NE-MD you can try CalSci effect on my machine.

2andBlue said:
Dcstrng: PM me if available Monday 11-Nov... sure we could find some nice roads in between us to meet up in NE-MD you can try CalSci effect on my machine.

Thanks -- Rats; I'm going to have to take a rain-check as I'll be UHauling the granddaughter's stuff from NoDak to Arizona... but weather permitting, I'd like to take you up on that another time...

Appreciate it !!

ghostrider990 said:
Jim Snyder said:

Not to bag on what you're saying Jim.....but all the science in the world won't clearly define how a screen works for an individual rider.  That being said, I bought into Calsci's logic as well.  ;D

This becomes a very subjective issue with each person, simply because of all of the variables that effect airflow and comfort.
This is why the swapping of windshields between members was such a great thing.

haven't seen that happening lately - but if you can wrangle a "free test ride" from another member with a few screens, it may be worth the price of shipping.  :beerchug:

gr
All I know is I tried two other shields on my FJR and had terrible buffeting around my helmet. I bought the CalSci figuring if it didn't work I'd sell it. But the CalSci stopped the buffeting, and get this it did it at a lower height setting then the tour shield I had before.
I had to run the tour shield all the way to the top to get any clean air, I can get the same results just past half way with the CalSci.
You have to admit they have a lot more info and data on their website then any other shield maker I have ever looked at.

I bought my bike used and it has a Cee Baileys on it with a recurve at the top. No buffeting or any turbulence whatsoever. I do realize they got out of the business but man, what a great windshield. I would suggest any windshield with a recurve to get the air up over your head.

This IS NOT an advertisement but I have a CeeBailey's tall screen in a box in my garage so if anyone's interested, PM me. It's just stupid to leave it on a shelf if someone else can use it! Price? It's not about the money, it's about helping someone that might need it, I simply have no use for it.

I am 6'1" and use the stock wind screen with a corbin seat. I also ride with earplugs and listen to music and have an intercom to talk with my passenger. Last year I added a madstad adjustable bracket to the connie. With the bracket in place and after some adjustment the normally turbulent air at my head is gone. I believe it is because more air is allowed to flow under the windscreen eliminating low pressure buffeting. Regardless of the reason riding is much more pleasurable.

Gents
So I got a Cee Bailey Taller windshield from Cog member Raydog.
I'll give a report when the roads clear and I can test it  out.
Like I mentioned before I've got a problem with my ears and sometimes no matter what I do the wind noise can overpower me.
Hopefully when this happens I'll be able to raise the windscreen all the way up and get into some completely dead air, even if it means looking through it.
Happy Holidays!

This IS NOT an advertisement but I have a CeeBailey's tall screen in a box in my garage so if anyone's interested, PM me. It's just stupid to leave it on a shelf if someone else can use it! Price? It's not about the money, it's about helping someone that might need it, I simply have no use for it.
Hi Raydog
i was reviewing the forum looking for info on a tall screen for my 1400.
i came across your post from 2019.
is the C Bailey still available?
Probably not but thought I would see. I’m 6 foot 4. Live in Canada and had a C on my K 1200. It worked great.
I don’t think Bailey is in business any more for motorcycles. I would be open to paying you a fair price and shipping
Thanks.
Steve

I am 6'3" and I use a VStream on my 2015 Connie. I am not completely behind the screen but it puts me in a comfortable spot as far as buffeting. I look just over the top of the screen when it's in the tallest position.

Thank you for your comments tgk230!
I appreciate the info.
Am planning a longer road trip next spring I’d like a bit more protection than the OEM provides.

Steve - California Scientific makes a decent windshield. The vented door version (2015-up) does not take ultra high speeds well (cracks) but the older version is designed, vented differently and holds up fine. I suspect the (2015-up) would be fine too at regular speeds - just no closed course / track riding.

Large version is very nice, never tried the XtraLarge. Height and arm covering is good.

Also look around a bit, good amount of discussion regarding bolting a foil to top of the windshield - has been the solution twinned with the stock shield that works well for some.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks very much for your help!
Steve
You got it!

Please consider joining as a full member - lots of good information available in technical archives, industry vendors and generally a good group of enthusiasts (sometimes we get too enthusiastic, but that’s all part of being a family).

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I tried to upgrade to a member last night many times last night. Hit a glitch and it wouldn’t accept my Canadian postal code. Contacted COG membership and hopefully they will sort my issue out.
Steve

Hi Gents
I've got a 2014 C-14
I've got problems with my eardrums and sometimes I've just got to get my head completely out of the airflow.
I use earplugs, but....
Any suggestions on a taller wider windshield please. Maybe tinted too.
I think I need to go roughly 4-5 inches taller than stock and keep the vent.
Thanks in advance!
V Stream

If anyone is looking for a big/tall, I have a Cal Sci windshield that I've put up to raise $$ for OtP 2023.
See post #10

Ride safe, Ted