• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looking for tank sealant recommendations

ONOBob

Restoring a 1978 KZ 650c
The tank is solid but has a bit of rust.
I have never sealed a tank.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

My 99 Yamaha TW tank was very rusty and had one size caved in. My welder buddy had an idea to fix the dent by cutting it out, flipping it over and do the other side as a flap and we added 1 in spacers out of sheetmetal to expand the capacity by about .75 gal. While it was open we sandblasted it clean, but needed to seal it after he welded it all back up. A friend who runs a radiator repair shop swore by this stuff, and having worked in bike shops over the years I had seen the hassle and failures of POR, and other multi part methods. (Though bad prep and following instructions is usually related to those failures.) Anyway, I figured 15 bucks for a quart, enough for 4 or 5 tanks, a 1 step process and my friends recommendation what could I lose? It was easy, not too messy, and I took seriously the hint that it is only fully cured when you can no longer smell the solvent. They said about 24 hours, but it was a full 72 before I could not detect any fumes. I reinstalled the petcock, filled her with gas and away we went. That was 14 years ago now, and there is no sign of it wearing off, lifting or separating. I will fill voids and pinholes up to 1/16th inch, and you have to keep that tank moving while it initially sets up...do it on a hot day helps. I would use it again in hearbeat but shared the mostly full can with the welder and never saw it again.

I used POR-15 many years ago.
Later sold the bike to another member in the club.
The coating lasted well.
As ZXtacy mentioned. You must do the installation properly.

If the tank is solid/no leaks. Another option is you can do an electroplate.
I'd have to look on the Forum to find the process, but I recall that it's EZ/do-able and accomplishes the same thing.
Step 1 being; Remove all the corrosion in the tank.

Back when I used to be sneaky, :oops:
I put soapy water and some steel nuts in a tank, put the tank in wife's dryer (tightly packed with pillows) and turned the dryer on to tumble.
Made a heck of a noise, but worked great!
Rust ws gone..

Of course, I would never do such a thing now. šŸ˜‡
ie; she caught me, and I limped for a week.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: