• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lovin' my new Shark helmet!

KretonsLC

I just got the Skwal 2 Switch, and am very pleased with it so far.  It replaces my Shoei Qwest, which was approaching 6 years old and in need of replacement.  The Shark has some awesome features like visibility lights front and rear that can be turned on in steady or flash mode and are rechargeable with a USB cable that tucks away in the back of the helmet so you don't feel it.  The drop down sun visor is also wonderful.  No more messing with those CVS clip-ons for glasses when it's bright - those things often create glare anyway.  And a huge feature is the Pinlock visor, and the fact that the helmet came with the insert for it.  I rode in fog this morning and the Pinlock system is fantastic!  No fogging whatsoever - so nice not to have to periodically raise/lower the shield just to be able to see.  Even at lights there's no fogging on either the shield or my glasses.  Can't tell how many times on cold, dark, humid mornings I've pulled away from lights with shield up and face freezing while waiting for my glasses to clear and hoping I don't hit something/someone in the meantime.  Or had to keep it cracked on freezing mornings at 70 mph just to see.

The Shark also has great padding and balance and is really comfortable.  Much less turbulence and bobbing than my Qwest, which was losing its fit anyway.  Really a feature-laden helmet for the price.  Definitely recommend anyone looking for a new helmet take a look at these.

just be aware that "cage" drivers are subject, wayyyyyyy more then motorcyclists (that are constantly "roaming, with vision") : to "target fixation..." like strobing lights and such, especially in low light conditions/night/ etc.,

use that feature wisely, ok when running in traffic on a freeway,and making your presence known when coming up on slower drivers, but with oncoming, at night, people WILL drive directly at you, because you made them "look" at you. it is not intentional, just a normal human response....
Target Fixation.... my greatest fear, and it should make everyone aware of just how frequently it is a factor in a seemingly ridiculous result.

I've experimented with drivers in Va., that were "close" to crossing the center line, and found 9 out of 10, will actually cross it when you "wave a hand,at an "oncoming encroacher", and point to the centerline..."

I did this for almost 10 year, in Va., and was astonished of the actual results... I have since "tried to make myself invisible" within reason, in traffic...
2 schools of thought, both have merits.

Thanks for the Shark Review tho, always interested in alternatives... I'm sporting a VOX Genesis, flip up, with internal flip down sun shields, and love it.. it's quiet, and everytime I go on a ride, I clean the shield using dish soap, and cold water, and "buff" it.. never an issue with fogging (the dish soap /buff thing has been around for years... and it works...)

as I frequently do 10 hour trips, the battery flasher isn't a selling point for me,  (5 hrs) particularly, as I often have to plug in my phone... simply because I didn't "pre plan"  I can't be bothered with "charging my helmet" after every ride.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
but it IS cool... they could have easily doubled the batt longevity, for like $10  more...
thanks for the info... :great:

aside from this all, a NEW helmet is always cool... I look forward to a 2-4 year report.... :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: :great:

My wife switched to a Shark a couple years back and loved it. Some nice features and good looking with nice fit and finish. I like the strobes. I use an HJC strobe on the top of my Shoei. Wind lights it up and motorists have commented that they saw it fairly far away. The black attachment at the top of the helmet has LEDs that light up and flash when air is moving through the turbines.

1JVg_pzdBF1dIX92Tx7ubx7cRA7drZ-9_lAsW4NcLWfuZ4xMfXyEDIWyl06TWdETgfbRpIv757dt3y-hlq0KC8b-2ZpK05rK19K5rYfZXfNmEAIV-VRUfZgFoxc4Ri1kYhEvW9Ng47NDjLLoHxUX1gY-Tq3dfS2C7TwNCoED3OjMep4bipd1lllwT7YSFG9jGjibLPf9YlenGvQlPzv_aKMRcyGwoFKFYlKWSQ6idXVtHi3sgOg2TqOKqvEHUN92qtnLbNMJs3Sr1NP2nB4N1xVfueATQDPWBdjX7t2gPyjuRmztrXvFDXuKMCWQCmuDdQ9P5iulXCDoDg40ci8kvIrPA_OEwqodKhFLJjj2qJd5YUKEWxei1RRRDbYr0cZONibgHQ2uE2RyefD6c5cbTKtL3kPzLVFg32wcRJJj1QFrJ9tunx_WOq3FravPJQQZeY5Jhc6o2jv9zLc5CnyZZtA8GEwe0mov1s5pAwYok5tKow6QoGY18cktqPNzRlCunjvofT7OM2UjrEGqgBHagPA-nQKcShYbN0Aw2in62tZuXgsOiJXWP9QEpsbIl5XnzsnxLiKCpqRB2Lj0ipaNMQbKhYKIZSztxB70-bKnaSVWBlTZlsQCXPSdLROimvWjRLNzWeXeC6IsbqGe1asMoFj6d5BDMM6J=w365-h648-no

MAN OF BLUES said:
just be aware that "cage" drivers are subject, wayyyyyyy more then motorcyclists (that are constantly "roaming, with vision") : to "target fixation..." like strobing lights and such, especially in low light conditions/night/ etc.,

use that feature wisely, ok when running in traffic on a freeway,and making your presence known when coming up on slower drivers, but with oncoming, at night, people WILL drive directly at you, because you made them "look" at you. it is not intentional, just a normal human response....
Target Fixation.... my greatest fear, and it should make everyone aware of just how frequently it is a factor in a seemingly ridiculous result.

I've experimented with drivers in Va., that were "close" to crossing the center line, and found 9 out of 10, will actually cross it when you "wave a hand,at an "oncoming encroacher", and point to the centerline..."

I did this for almost 10 year, in Va., and was astonished of the actual results... I have since "tried to make myself invisible" within reason, in traffic...
2 schools of thought, both have merits.

Thanks for the Shark Review tho, always interested in alternatives... I'm sporting a VOX Genesis, flip up, with internal flip down sun shields, and love it.. it's quiet, and everytime I go on a ride, I clean the shield using dish soap, and cold water, and "buff" it.. never an issue with fogging (the dish soap /buff thing has been around for years... and it works...)

as I frequently do 10 hour trips, the battery flasher isn't a selling point for me,  (5 hrs) particularly, as I often have to plug in my phone... simply because I didn't "pre plan"  I can't be bothered with "charging my helmet" after every ride.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
but it IS cool... they could have easily doubled the batt longevity, for like $10  more...
thanks for the info... :great:

aside from this all, a NEW helmet is always cool... I look forward to a 2-4 year report.... :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: :great:

Thanks MOB!  Yeah, I'm leery of using the flashing option and will only use the light in dark and fog, so 5 hr. run time should be sufficient.  Might try the flashing option when walking my dog though, since my neighborhood is more poorly lit than a medieval village  ;D

freebird6 said:
My wife switched to a Shark a couple years back and loved it. Some nice features and good looking with nice fit and finish. I like the strobes. I use an HJC strobe on the top of my Shoei. Wind lights it up and motorists have commented that they saw it fairly far away. The black attachment at the top of the helmet has LEDs that light up and flash when air is moving through the turbines.

1JVg_pzdBF1dIX92Tx7ubx7cRA7drZ-9_lAsW4NcLWfuZ4xMfXyEDIWyl06TWdETgfbRpIv757dt3y-hlq0KC8b-2ZpK05rK19K5rYfZXfNmEAIV-VRUfZgFoxc4Ri1kYhEvW9Ng47NDjLLoHxUX1gY-Tq3dfS2C7TwNCoED3OjMep4bipd1lllwT7YSFG9jGjibLPf9YlenGvQlPzv_aKMRcyGwoFKFYlKWSQ6idXVtHi3sgOg2TqOKqvEHUN92qtnLbNMJs3Sr1NP2nB4N1xVfueATQDPWBdjX7t2gPyjuRmztrXvFDXuKMCWQCmuDdQ9P5iulXCDoDg40ci8kvIrPA_OEwqodKhFLJjj2qJd5YUKEWxei1RRRDbYr0cZONibgHQ2uE2RyefD6c5cbTKtL3kPzLVFg32wcRJJj1QFrJ9tunx_WOq3FravPJQQZeY5Jhc6o2jv9zLc5CnyZZtA8GEwe0mov1s5pAwYok5tKow6QoGY18cktqPNzRlCunjvofT7OM2UjrEGqgBHagPA-nQKcShYbN0Aw2in62tZuXgsOiJXWP9QEpsbIl5XnzsnxLiKCpqRB2Lj0ipaNMQbKhYKIZSztxB70-bKnaSVWBlTZlsQCXPSdLROimvWjRLNzWeXeC6IsbqGe1asMoFj6d5BDMM6J=w365-h648-no

Wow!  Didn't realize there's lighting options activated by air flow.  What an amazing age we live in.  ;D

By the way, another member kindly suggested I request this thread be moved to the "Riding Gear" section, so I've asked a moderator do that.  Forgot there was a "gear" section!

Been using Shark lids now for 7 years. 5 years on two Evoline 3's (one damaged in accident) and currently have the Evo One 2. Superb lids.

Boomer said:
Been using Shark lids now for 7 years. 5 years on two Evoline 3's (one damaged in accident) and currently have the Evo One 2. Superb lids.

Lovin' mine so far.  Cloudless day today provided a great opportunity to test the sun visor on a late afternoon hour+ ride.  Wow - so much better and easier than clip-ons for my glasses and no glare like you get with those.  Much of the ride was in a steady 20+ mph crosswind and I found the helmet very comfortable and still pretty quite.