• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lowering C10

croach1776

Tonto
Well got the refabed center stand back on and there are not fitage problems. Hardest part was trying to locate the spring mounting
point on the frame but a small flashlight solved that problems. And of course had to figure out way to stretch the spring far enough to mounting point on stand to engage. Solution: Got a heavy duty tie wrap and locked it enough to make a circle that I could get a couple of fingers through. Then placed one end of spring on the frame mounting point. Wedged the center stand in its stored position against the frame and then looped tie wrap over that loop and got behind it and pulled with tie wrap until was able slip if over mounting point on stand. easypeasy. Reinstalled side stand sensor and left muffler and the center stand lever arm just cleared the side stand arm used to push it away from frame and down. Was almost tempted to see if in its shortened state would it still get Connie off its rear wheel but I have already got my CDA and dont need another one. Dropped it off at shop where they will install lowering links, adjust front height via triple tree and front shocks housing (if possible) if not then might have to do internally(which I assume is different springs) comments welcome.
I think they will also adjust the side stand angle and height if necessary.

Not sure I follow " tree and front shocks housing (if possible) if not then might have to do internally(which I assume is different springs)".
Lowering the front is EZ; loosen triple tree fork clamp bolts, slide tubes up, retighten bolts..
Note; You can only move the tubes up a max of approx 1". (Because the fender will hit the lower triple tree when forks are fully compressed)
Do NOT install weaker front springs to lower the front!
,,,,That only reduces suspension travel and hurts handling.

Ride safe, Ted

Do like ted did... get urself a set of purple sequined stripper boots.... he says it makes it easier to flat foot the ground, and he get ALOT of offers....lmao

Ya I think they meant installing new (possibly shorter length....but hopefully able to emulate same ride as OEM springs). Only guessing possible outcomes at this time. Unless any other members have had Connie lowered by 1.75"

I did lower mine that much in the rear. Lowered the front about an inch. Was too low for my tastes, so I raised it back.
I later added C-14 shock/lowering link {link required as that shock makes the bike taller) / stiffened the front springs/ modded the forks and added emulators to the front.
The height of the bike is now stock, the suspension stiffer {less dive}, and I have a better suspension.

If your timing had been better, I could have helped you lower your bike and tweak the side stand. {I have another bike on my bench}
It's very EZ. Probably an hour or 2 would do it.

Make sure you understand what that shop is going to do, what they intend to do, and how many $$.
Changing to shorter or weaker front springs is NOT a good idea.

Ride safe, Ted

Well I guess Im living right. I was able to jump to the head of the line due to 1. providing the parts and 2
having the center stand refabbed in advance. So shop lowered rear with links and just adjusting front forks
via triple tree. He asked me to drop by if able and when I got there I sat on it and both feet were flat on the ground.
The center stand lifted the rear wheel about an inch off the ground very stable. I will still be able to change the oil with just getting a lower drain pan and adjusting the side stand will not require major work. They will do a test ride at speed to make sure no wobbles...could pick it up as early as Thursday. This should be last major farkle outside of replacing the mufflers when they finally go bad.